~Boost Creep~
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ~Boost Creep~ within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I own a 2006 WRX and i purchased a Perrin single tip exhaust, and i was thinking about getting a ...

~Boost Creep~

I own a 2006 WRX and i purchased a Perrin single tip exhaust, and i was thinking about getting a downpipe but have read that the 2006's cause boost creep when you install a downpipe on them. anbody know if this is true or not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes its true, get EM to solve this. Also do a search.

EM can help but will not solve it, if you are really worried get the wastegate ported should be around $100 or less
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by juanes287 View Post
    EM does not solve this but rather tosses a potential band aide onto the situation. The only way to truly cure BC is to get the wastegate ported. Keeping more backpressure in the system is also a band aide which usually works very well. This can be done by getting a catted DP or keeping the stock axle back. A few folks with a catted DP have reported creep.

If you creep with a catted DP, then I'd suggest getting your waste gate ported.

EM will just mess with Waste gate duty cycles in order to eleivate the pressure.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Please read this as gospel:

With a DP and HF cat, you will NOT get boost creep. End of rumours, end of story, etc, etc.

The cobb DP with HF cat is a good example for this application. I highly recommend them. The o2 sensor bung is the right location, no wire extension needed, fitment is perfect, and it doesn't take a lot of clipping to re-install the heat sheild.

In 04/05, with a Cobb AP (before the maps included WG adjustments), Cobb DP with HF cat, and aftermarket catback, I ran at summit point raceway (1.99 mile track) numerous times, in the heat of summer and cool of fall and spring, without a single issue. Numerous full throttle pulls to the +140 mph range...never had an issue.

Same goes for my Legacy GT.

If anyone has had boost creep with a DP and HF cat, the cat is the wrong type or the 02 sensor was incorrectly installed. I've not spoken to anyone and have only heard about "he said" rumours to where boost creep occurs with a properly installed HF catted DP. It's just the laws of physics at work.

BTW..IMHO a ported wastegate is not a sure-fire fix. It all depends on the experience of the person doing the porting, and for me, it is not a common enough activity that I really trust anyone to do something that once you have it done, can't be remedied without new parts.

Before going with the HF cat, I experienced creep with a straight through cat. I never, ever want that to happen again. I researched this extensively, talked to probably over 10 tuners, at least a dozen mechanics, and even bought a few books. It's really just common sense when you get down to it.

Now of course, if you have the money for a EWG, that is a great way to go too. Plus you get the rally-effect noises when it lifts, if that is what you are into. Since it can control pressure both ways (it is technically acting as a regulator, not a relief valve like the stock WG) it is probably the best solution for anyone. I just could never justify the cost in my mind. Good luck!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Why not go with the HKS DP. The flat plate design should creat enough back pressure to stop the creep along with an accessport. Go stage 2 with an HKS and if you wanna go further than stage 2 switch the HKS DP to a bellmouth design.
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by juanes287 View Post
    Is this not the new member hangout?
    CGM

Welcome! Please do a search next time as this has been covered quite a bit. Everything you mentioned in your post could've been used as search terms to give you the proper information.

But I also want to help so here's a response I posted on another thread quite recently to cover this exact topic:

My take on things is that the whole cat + EM doesn't work for everyone. There are posts [from people with first hand experience], who are experiencing some creep even with this setup. On paper, yes, this probably should be enough to prevent it from occuring. But there might very well be a lot of other factors that decide whether it works or not.

Not all catted downpipes are made equal; some may be too free flowing and others too restrictive. Also, the OTS maps from the AP to work flawlessly enough to prevent creep depends on a lot of factors like fuel quality, humidity, air temp, air density etc. to create the right amount exhaust volume and/or velocity for its wastegate duty cycles to work effectively with the flow and backpressure of the chosen catted downpipe. So even with a properly installed setup, it might not work as well as others.

I do agree that porting should not be taken lightly cuz yes, it can be done poorly and cost you even more money. That's why I say try a catted dp + EM first. If it works, great... join the non-creeping club! heheh. If that does not work, then find a reputable 'porter'... if it still doesn't work then maybe a tune is in order and/or an external wastegate setup.

If you're worried about losing power with a cat, like i said, not all cats are created equal. I'm creep-free and I'm only 1 hp and 1 lbs-ft less than Cobb's estimation of their stg. 2 91 octane map. (dynos are just an approximation and differ from one to the other though, but still... thats the reading i got from my local dyno).
    What I want you to take away from all I said is that a cat + EM usually does the trick... and follow the other steps like porting etc. if it doesn't take care of creep... cuz there's no use in spending money on porting or other solutions if a simple cat + EM works.

just my thoughts
    Last edited by drummerboy; 11-12-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.