From VW to Sti...or Evo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on From VW to Sti...or Evo? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've had a jetta for a few years and to tell you the truth im really board of it. I've ...

From VW to Sti...or Evo?

I've had a jetta for a few years and to tell you the truth im really board of it. I've been looking into sti's a lot now and have pretty much made up my mind. I love both the evo and the sti but im leaning heavily towards the sti. Just a few question

Is subaru mod freindly? What are the limitations?
    How much power from basic bolt on's and tuning? 1/4 mile?
    How expensive are turbo upgrades such as gt35's ect.
    Is it recommended to slam the sti or does that hamper the performance?

Thanks,

J.P.

Picture of the jetta thats being sold for the beast

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t/DSC01069.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snook View Post
    Is subaru mod freindly? What are the limitations?
    How much power from basic bolt on's and tuning? 1/4 mile?
    How expensive are turbo upgrades such as gt35's ect.
    Is it recommended to slam the sti or does that hamper the performance?
    Search function exists for a reason. Please use it. All of this has been discussed 1,000,000 times.

Subaru of America is not mod friendly. Subaru's as machines are mod friendly. There are no limitations besides what you can afford.

STi w/ Stage 2 (exhaust and tune) = around 300 lb-ft (at the wheels, we dont talk about crank hp like the VW/Audi guys)...mid-high 12's.

Well, you need to remove a cat, get the turbo, injectors, and custom tune it. So it all depends on what Turbo you get.

You can lower it w/ springs or coil-overs but this isnt pimp-my ride so dont make it so you cant see all of the tires, that just makes it rub and decreases the width of tire you can run. That will hamper performance.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I understand that, we talk about whp always anyways. My bad im new, i wasnt talking about tucking my tires either. Just about a one finger gap all around, im not new to modding cars

I understand that, we talk about whp always anyways. My bad im new, i wasnt talking about tucking my tires either. Just about a one finger gap all around, im not new to modding cars
    Usually when I see VWvortex, or Audizine, AudiWorld, etc they always talk in HP not BHP. They like to inflate there egos. Yo! I got 400HP! But really its a lot less cus of drivetrain loss.

Yea I saw your picture and that is a nice drop. You can easily achieve that on the WRX (mine looks like yours...i have Eibach Pro Kit spring)

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    I came from the Vortex, too. In the MK4 forum we always referred to WHP, not crank HP. Especially since crank HP can't really be measured by an average person after modding.

Here's some pics of my Jetta:

Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 11-09-2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added Pics of my Jetta
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

nice jetta If money isnt an object go with the "super" evo that was on top gear (youtube.com) More than enough power. I "think" like 400 some hp. by the time u get used to the power the warranty should be up and then mod, mod, mod...omg a wrx owner endorsed an evo

well money if definitly an option, im most likley buying a low milage sti

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey welcome to the club. Search function helps out ALOT when it comes to these questions because actually a good percentage of this board has to do with the actual performance aspect of the subaru vehicle. But hey its cool, everyone is a N000B at first. Subaru in my personal experience stands behind there cars more on the warranty side than mitsubishi does... However, myself personally if my car breaks because I mod it... It was my fault and I would at turn up grade the part that was broke so it didnt happen again rather than try and have it warrantied.

As far as tuning goes, you can easily get the STi to the 300 lb/ft and 300awhp by simple bolt ons and a good engine management system. What usually everyone around here calls stage 2. But you will also get a pretty good gain in performance by just replacing your downpipe with catless and going with a good flowing cat back exhaust (Stage 1).

Again welcome to the club, hope you decide to stick around awhile!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    But you will also get a pretty good gain in performance by just replacing your downpipe with catless and going with a good flowing cat back exhaust (Stage 1).

I agree with everything except Replacing your DP+tune is Stage 2. Stage 1 = Reflash only.

i have a local shop that works wonders on sti's. Im hoping to do a stage 2 right off the bat. If its stage 2 your warrenty is gone correct??

i have a local shop that works wonders on sti's. Im hoping to do a stage 2 right off the bat. If its stage 2 your warrenty is gone correct??
    Change your tires from Stock RE070's and you void some part of your warranty. You cannot void your entire warranty, all you can do is screw something up that negatively effected your car and the dealer wont pay for your mistake. Pay to play.

Stage 2 = Removing a cat (illegal in most states), reflashing the stock ECU (so they wont warranty frying your ecu, adding boost could damage your engine, a bad tune could screw up your fuel system and thus your engine could suffer).

With that said, these are Subarus, it is likely that you will NEVER bring in your STi for work unless its an oil change lol. You dont get electrical issues like in a VW. You wont learn your dealer's mechanics name from going so much.

If you follow the Stages and get a proper tune (www.cobbtuning.com ...safe, easy, cheaper than a custom tune) then your car will run fine for a very long time.

damn well thats refreshing. I put a intake on my jetta as a first mod and after that i had no warrenty, at all. Thats good to know thank you

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Read and search - a lot of great info based on experience is to be found here.

The STi with Cobb stage 2 is a great choice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    I agree with everything except Replacing your DP+tune is Stage 2. Stage 1 = Reflash only.
    meh... So I have high standards.. Whatever...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    meh... So I have high standards.. Whatever...
    hehe its all good. Just trying to keep the Stages uniform so people dont start to use there own and confuse everyone else.

The stages build off eachother:

Stage 1 = Reflash
    Stage 2 = Reflash, TBE
    Stage 3 = Reflash, TBE, TMIC
    Stage 4 = Reflash, TBE, TMIC, Injectors, Turbo, Fuel Pump* *(no FP for Cobb)

And the odd duck:
    Cobb Stage 2.5 = Reflash, TBE, Injectors, Turbo (same power as Stage 4...but no new TMIC or FP needed)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast