Noob saying hi!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Noob saying hi! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi my name is Matt, i dont own a wrx yet im on here doing research for a future purchase. ...

Noob saying hi!

Hi my name is Matt, i dont own a wrx yet im on here doing research for a future purchase. I have been a car guy since birth and import guy to. When my freinds were into stangs and camaros i was into old corollas, mg and triumphs. I know some about subie i even influenced my best freind who is female to buy hers new in 02.

My story is in april of this year i lost my baby a 91 sentra se-r that has been with me since new. It was not mine when new but my best freinds who died back in 99 and his parents gave it to me to restore. Well it was done this year pretty much but paint and a lady on a cell phone ran a red light and hit it head on. I got busted up pretty good and really am just now starting to get over it. Long story short im waiting on a settlement from this.

Im shopping now for a diffrent car the subey if i buy one will be purchased out right so i dont have a car payment.The others i am looking at is a 350z, rsx type-s, cooper s, evo, a very nice 5th gen prelude with intentions of some show and shine but mostly hpde and auto x. any imput in my research will help me out tremendously. The only thing keeping from the subie and evo is reliabilty issues and none of the cars will be daily drivers. Again hi to everyone you seem alot nicer then some of the sites ive beeen on for a long time cough:honda-tech:cough

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome Matt!

I love those original SE-Rs. I am glad you were able to keep your friend’s car for that length of time and fix it up. I am sure he would have been happy you did that. Sorry to read of the cell phone mishap - I am glad you are OK.

You have found a great place to learn all about the WRX, STi and many other cars as we have a diverse group of car enthusiasts here. Beware of the 5th gen Prelude as they can consume quite a bit of oil. I had a 2000 base Prelude that did just that.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Sorry to hear about your Sentra. Got any pics of her?

You outlined some great vehicles to consider for comparible performance, handling, and driveability. Make sure you test drive as many as possible before making your final choice!

Also, you mentioned 'reliability issues' in the same sentence with STI and Evo. I don't know what you've heard, but both cars have proven to be very reliable performance cars. So just keep up the research!

Keep us updated!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

welcome to the club...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Heres what my dd is now. This will get a full resto to soon

The wheel on here are enkeis and they were for the se-r
    heres the sentra..i had the wreck in april and it was do to get painted in may

the car had all new rubber seals , everything under was new motor was fresh so on so on

before the wreck playing in the snow:

^^^weeks before the wreck
    Last edited by magoo_lc1; 11-06-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Registered User SixDaysToSunday's Avatar
    Welcome, sorry to hear about the accident. Hence why I NEVER drive on the cell.

Anyways, you've got a good lineup to choose from, but I want to say you'll be happier with the Wrex. Currently I own an 03 Cooper and I can tell you, they handle like a dream. The problem with Minis is a lack of power. I think BMW has seriously limited the power in those cars

RSX, eh, it's nice but it's FWD 160ish hp. Not much, you're better off buying the Cooper S. The 350Z is nice, but they're kind of old man cars. EVOs are very comparable to the WRX, but no AWD. As for Hondas, well my opinion is bias. I just don't like them. Never have, never will.

If it were me, I'd narrow it to Cooper S (They're a LOT of fun to drive, and eye catching) and the WRX (AWD trumps Coopers handling, plus the extra power). Now if you could get your hands on a Radford Cooper...
    2010 WRX: "Archer"
    #2127 of the Stinkeye Mob
    Honorary Member of the Hawkeye Alliance
    Give it up for the boys in Blue, USAF; 3H071
    Jack T, also known as BOOSTPUNK on Buffaloscooby

welcome

Welcome

Welcome !
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by SixDaysToSunday View Post
    EVOs are very comparable to the WRX, but no AWD.
    Umm, please get your facts straight prior to giving advice. The EVO is AWD. All of them are. And the Evo would rip the WRX a new *******. The Evo is extremely comparable to the STI, not the WRX.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    Umm, please get your facts straight prior to giving advice. The EVO is AWD. All of them are. And the Evo would rip the WRX a new *******. The Evo is extremely comparable to the STI, not the WRX.
    very well said.. Heather
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by 03WRX_YELLOW View Post
    very well said.. Heather
    Thanks Jenn! But I dunno, I felt I was being a little hard on the poor fellow. I mean, two years ago, if you'd have asked me if an Evo is AWD, RWD, or FWD, I would have said, 'what's an Evo' . LOL. We all need to learn sometime. Sorry to SixDays if I came off a little harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    Thanks Jenn! But I dunno, I felt I was being a little hard on the poor fellow. I mean, two years ago, if you'd have asked me if an Evo is AWD, RWD, or FWD, I would have said, 'what's an Evo' . LOL. We all need to learn sometime. Sorry to SixDays if I came off a little harsh.
    Ah dont worry about it. Sometimes people need to be educated. Most likely he didnt mean its not AWD, but meant it is 4WD. A lot of people mistakenly think that the Evo is FWD-biased due to its E-ACD. This system does not change torque distribution it merely determines if the front differential is locked, open, or semi-locked for either Snow, Tarmac, or Gravel. The Evo is permenently locked on a 50/50 torque distribution like the WRX.

Well they are all great cars.

I owned an 02 RSX base (160hp) and i loved it, just i wanted AWD and Turbo. Type S is nice too, but again FWD is just wrong.

350Z is a great car, beautiful and fast. But its overweight for auto-x and HPDE. Also, i needed AWD. RWD is fun for a few months till it gets cold.

Cooper is nice, but too small. clown car, but great for Auto-X im sure.

WRX/STi/Evo - great cars, all fast, AWD, turbo, plenty of room for friends (4 doors is nice sometimes).

Reliability:
    The Subaru EJ20T and EJ25T are very reliable and will last well over 100,000mi. Even the other motors are great. Drive around town and you will probably see more Subaru's fom the early to mid 90's than brand new. They dont die. They are like Honda/Toyota but with AWD.

Mitsubishi doesnt have a great reputation b/c either owners beat on the cars or b/c the dealerships were great. Oh and they covered up a defect once. BUT, the 4G63 motor in the Evo is bullet-proof. It has been around for over 15 years and has been perfected. The only Evo's that arent reliable are the ones that OWNERS screwed up. Not the factory.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 11-09-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast