Hey everyone

This is a discussion on Hey everyone within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone my name is chris and i was wondering the best year of wrx to go with. My goals ...

Hey everyone

Hey everyone my name is chris and i was wondering the best year of wrx to go with. My goals are to make power and to be able to beat my dads evo 8. i'm open to any suggestions. I just got out of a honda and wanted to go with something that i could feel comfortable driving and have something to have fun with and enjoy for sometime. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!

The "Sticky: Good first mods" above is a great place to start.

Year wise there is little difference except for the transmissions. The 2002 tranny is on the weaker side. As production continued into 2003 - 2004 Subaru beefed up the 5 speed.

Engine power to keep up with an Evo? The STi is the logical choice or the 2006 - 2007 as it has the 2.5 liter capable for producing more power than the 2.0.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

WOW!!! i didn't know that. my dads evo is an 03 with just bolt ons. The sti is kinda out of my price range for what i want to spend. but if its the best way to go i might have to. What year do you have.

every year the rex got a little easier to "upgrade". If you start off with an 06 you've got the upgraded 2.5 engine and a catless uppipe. Miles ahead of the 05 and younger 2.0 liter and catted uppipe. (sti is a different ballgame)
    Stage II and loving it!

Any year WRX + Stage 2 or more will keep up w/ a stock Evo. Stage 4 will make it easier to beat depending on your Dads mods.

Major differences:

02 WRX - First year in US (all colors plus Blaze Yellow)
    03 WRX - Same look (all colors plus Solar Yellow instead)
    04 WRX - New Exterior, Beefed up Tranny
    05 WRX - Same look, New Interior
    06 WRX - New Exterior, 2.5L Engine, leather, catless UP
    07 WRX - Little updates like Sirius radio, etc.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_boss View Post
    WOW!!! i didn't know that. my dads evo is an 03 with just bolt ons. The sti is kinda out of my price range for what i want to spend. but if its the best way to go i might have to. What year do you have.
    2004. Check out the mods and pics links in my sig for more info.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can afford a new wrx then you can afford a used 05 sti. That would be my choice if I had to do it over again. I currently drive a 2006 wrx which is arguable the best USDM offering as of yet for the wrx.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

If you have money...06 STI with bolt ons or 06 WRX and upgrade the turbo with stage 2 and a few other things. best bet is an older STI 04-05ish and go stage 2 and it should beat an EVO with some bolt ons but it all depends on what he has and how much hp/tq he's putting down.

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    If you have money...06 STI with bolt ons or 06 WRX and upgrade the turbo with stage 2 and a few other things. best bet is an older STI 04-05ish and go stage 2 and it should beat an EVO with some bolt ons but it all depends on what he has and how much hp/tq he's putting down.
    + 1

Welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Evo's with bolt on's make some pretty impressive power.

Even if you could afford an STi, you would have to spend ~ $1500 (TBE+AP) just to hang with your dads evo... and depending on his specific bolt on's you still might be able to beat him.

With a wrx you will undoubtably have to upgrade the turbo, so expect to spend some decent money. An 06' is best because of the 2.5L motor and huge torque numbers it produces. However, even on a simple turbo upgrade like a VF34 and supporting mods you would likely have the edge, but again, not sure if you would really be beating him. The best option on a WRX to be sure you will win would be an 18G. This is going to cost a bit of cash, but will give you the power you need... Problem is that all your dad needs is about $1,500 to then take over the ball game again.
    VF34 06' WRX will make it close and give you some bragging rights and you will be making much more torque.... and the 18G will run more money but give you that power you need to beat him. But then your tranny is in jepordy.
    Your actual best bet: Used Evo IX

Moral of the story = The Evo responds sickinly well to mods and not even the STi can go mod for mod with it, and the wrx is generally in over its head in this reguard.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.