Hello ClubWRX!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hello ClubWRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone! Im a newb on here, but Ive been a long time member of maxima.org. I plan on moving ...

Hello ClubWRX!

Hello everyone! Im a newb on here, but Ive been a long time member of maxima.org. I plan on moving my stuff over to clubwrx and finding a nice home right here on these board

Anyway, I will be picking up a used WRX here in the near future. I wanted to come introduce myself. Well ive owned a 1996 Nissan Maxima for little over 2 years now, and its time to move on. Car has almost 200,000 miles on it. It has been very good to me. I had plans on going FI but with the mileage it just wasnt justifible. Here she is in all her glory:

Now onto the WRX Ive found a very nice one local to me but it has a couple of mods to say the least. Utech, exhaust, up and down pipe, new intercooler, Tein coilovers, pink injectors, and perrin fuel rails. The car looks to be very well taken car of with all receipts handy. Would this be a good or safe buy? Car only has 40k miles on it.

Heres a picture of the car:

I really like the fact that the basic mods are done. But only thing that scares me is if the car was beat on.

Lastly ive heard rumors of the WRX motors not being able to handle any type of power. This was just someone tell me. Seems to be if the car is properly tuned theys cars do fine.

Anyways thank you in advance and hope to be a part of cubwrx soon!

-Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the thing that I would be suspicious of is that the fuel system was upgraded which would be done if they upgraded the turbo and could mean that it was beat on

as for the motors handling power poorly that is not true (provided that you have a good tune), it is the stock wrx transmission that will go quickly with high power
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

First, welcome to the club. You will love this community.

Second, the WRX can handle a lot of power. You just have to becareful with the transmission on the 02/03's. That tends to be the weakest area.

In terms of mods you stated TurboXS UTEC, exhaust, up and down pipe, new intercooler, Tein coilovers, pink injectors, and perrin fuel rails are all fine. One question tho, is it the stock Turbo?

Injectors and fuel rails arent upgraded unless the Turbo is too, usually. I would find out about that, and find out who tuned the car.

Good luck!
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Welcome to the club!
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    First, welcome to the club. You will love this community.

Second, the WRX can handle a lot of power. You just have to becareful with the transmission on the 02/03's. That tends to be the weakest area.

In terms of mods you stated TurboXS UTEC, exhaust, up and down pipe, new intercooler, Tein coilovers, pink injectors, and perrin fuel rails are all fine. One question tho, is it the stock Turbo?

Injectors and fuel rails arent upgraded unless the Turbo is too, usually. I would find out about that, and find out who tuned the car.

Good luck!
    Heres a direct link to the old ebay link. Never got an offer on ebay.
    Ebay Link

As for the turbo, no aftermarket turbo was stated. I sent him an email and me responded but he said he would rather talk on the phone so I guess I'll call him. Now that you brought that up, it raised a red flag. Also the batter has been relocated. Hum what do you think? i dont know the WRX well enough to tell if there has a aftermarket turbo in there that was snatched out before the pics

Thanks!
    Last edited by sean05; 11-03-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Autotrader Link

Woot What do you guys think? Im going to head down there how to go check it out. Id have to get rid of the STi wing and the CF hood tho. Not my style.
    Last edited by sean05; 11-03-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Ebay WRX:

He spelt UTEC wrong...how knowledgable could he be
    He is missing a fog light
    He is running a Cold Air Intake - That is bad for the car
    He is running a blow off valve - That is bad for the car
    He is running a boost controller - could be bad if not tuned right

Auto Trader WRX:

He has a turbo timer - useless
    He has a boost controller on a 04+ WRX - VERY BAD IDEA
    He doesnt mention any engine management
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 11-03-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Ebay WRX:

He spelt UTEC wrong...how knowledgable could he be
    He is missing a fog light
    He is running a Cold Air Intake - That is bad for the car
    He is running a blow off valve - That is bad for the car
    He is running a boost controller - could be bad if not tuned right

Auto Trader WRX:

He has a turbo timer - useless
    He has a boost controller on a 04+ WRX - VERY BAD IDEA
    He doesnt mention any engine management
    dang! shoot me down twice! Why is it a very bad idea on the 04 to have a BOV? I read that there jsut basically for the sound.

Would you buy either car?

Im having a hard time even finding a stock WRX at any dealer anywhere. I really want a silver 02-04. At this point idk if havent it been modified by the past owner is even worth it. ekk..
    Last edited by sean05; 11-03-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean05 View Post
    dang! shoot me down twice! Why is it a very bad idea on the 04 to have a BOV? I read that there jsut basically for the sound.

Would you buy either car?
    No b/c I like the 05+ interior hahahahah. But, i mean i cant really say w/o taking the car to a local Subaru tech (either a dealership, or local Subaru shop... check your Regional forum for one).

BOV - when air comes into your intake it is read by your MAF sensor which sends info to your ECU. So lets say 10 units of air are coming into the car they go thru your turbo and then into your intercooler where you now have a BOV. The BOV releases lets say 3 units of air to give the sound. Now your car has 7 units of air flowing into your engine but the ECU thinks you have 10. The ECU injects 10 units worth of gasoline into the engine, but you only have 7 units of air. The car is now running RICH (too much fuel). Running rich causes poor idle, pauses between shifts, etc. It is not good.

No b/c I like the 05+ interior hahahahah. But, i mean i cant really say w/o taking the car to a local Subaru tech (either a dealership, or local Subaru shop... check your Regional forum for one).

BOV - when air comes into your intake it is read by your MAF sensor which sends info to your ECU. So lets say 10 units of air are coming into the car they go thru your turbo and then into your intercooler where you now have a BOV. The BOV releases lets say 3 units of air to give the sound. Now your car has 7 units of air flowing into your engine but the ECU thinks you have 10. The ECU injects 10 units worth of gasoline into the engine, but you only have 7 units of air. The car is now running RICH (too much fuel). Running rich causes poor idle, pauses between shifts, etc. It is not good.
    So should you really have engine management when you have a BOV to adjust the A/F ratio? The ebay WRX is a private seller which I could have him take it to a subu tech or shop to get checked out. As for the autotrader link, how would i go about making sure the car is in good condition?

So should you really have engine management when you have a BOV to adjust the A/F ratio? The ebay WRX is a private seller which I could have him take it to a subu tech or shop to get checked out. As for the autotrader link, how would i go about making sure the car is in good condition?
    There's nothing you can do about a BOV, it cant be tuned around. But if you do any performance mods, the 1st should be a reflash.

Isnt the auto-trader one from a dealership? Just drive down to see it and then request to have your mechanic look at it. They wont say no unless there is an issue.

Oh, make sure the car is being sold w/ a Warranty and not As Is.

There's nothing you can do about a BOV, it cant be tuned around. But if you do any performance mods, the 1st should be a reflash.

Isnt the auto-trader one from a dealership? Just drive down to see it and then request to have your mechanic look at it. They wont say no unless there is an issue.

Oh, make sure the car is being sold w/ a Warranty and not As Is.
    Yea there is an extended warrenty available. Man I dont like that spoiler... I guess it can always be changed. Thanks for the help.

With a reflash, how does that work. Over at maxima.org the maxima community only has two options; JWT ECU (CRAP) or the Greddy Emanage blue or ultimate. It looks the the subaru forum has many more options then that. From what ive read it seems like the TurboXS Utec is almost the best way to go with different maps, programablity like the emanage.

With a reflash, how does that work. Over at maxima.org the maxima community only has two options; JWT ECU (CRAP) or the Greddy Emanage blue or ultimate. It looks the the subaru forum has many more options then that. From what ive read it seems like the TurboXS Utec is almost the best way to go with different maps, programablity like the emanage.
    The WRX ECU is very restrictive in that the stock Map isnt that aggresive. So with minor tweaks of the air-fuel ratios, timing, boost, etc a lot of power can be unleashed w/o any bolt-on mods.

The 2.0L WRX w/ a Stage 1 reflash (usally a 1psi increase) will net 25 whp upgrade! The 2.5L WRX doesnt get quite as much from Stage 1, but Stage 2 brings it to life too.

Your choices, well the most popular:
    Cobb Accessport - Most popular on ClubWRX, plug/play reflash. cheapest. can be custom tuned, but "off the shelf" maps are available with it.
    TurboXS UTEC - A piggyback system, it has pros/cons, kind of old software but it can be very powerful. great choice for tuning on your own.
    EcuTek - popular reflash program, must be custom tuned by a licensed tuner
    Vishnu - the odd duck, im not too familiar with it. Starts at Stage 0.

The WRX ECU is very restrictive in that the stock Map isnt that aggresive. So with minor tweaks of the air-fuel ratios, timing, boost, etc a lot of power can be unleashed w/o any bolt-on mods.

The 2.0L WRX w/ a Stage 1 reflash (usally a 1psi increase) will net 25 whp upgrade! The 2.5L WRX doesnt get quite as much from Stage 1, but Stage 2 brings it to life too.

Your choices, well the most popular:
    Cobb Accessport - Most popular on ClubWRX, plug/play reflash. cheapest. can be custom tuned, but "off the shelf" maps are available with it.
    TurboXS UTEC - A piggyback system, it has pros/cons, kind of old software but it can be very powerful. great choice for tuning on your own.
    EcuTek - popular reflash program, must be custom tuned by a licensed tuner
    Vishnu - the odd duck, im not too familiar with it. Starts at Stage 0.
    Thanks a bunch! Id really like to get a stock WRX but I cant find any. Seems like the Cobb Accessport is the best way to do it with the UTEC coming up next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast