Just reached 1000 miles on my 07' wrx ltd.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just reached 1000 miles on my 07' wrx ltd. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just wondering, what i should do next. i am now driving the car harder now!!! however, i need to do ...

Just reached 1000 miles on my 07' wrx ltd.

just wondering, what i should do next. i am now driving the car harder now!!! however, i need to do my oil change. i want to go synthetic, however is this a good idea??? and if i am to switch over, how should i do this? also do a transmission flush with synthetic???
    thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think there's a shred of evidence that you shouldn't switch to synthetic now.

Keep your OEM tranny fluid.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

now about the switch. i had an 97 integra and was using just regular oil. by switching to synthetic, how am i suppose to go about this??

also, any other things i should do since i pasted my break in period?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabewrx View Post
    just wondering, what i should do next. i am now driving the car harder now!!! however, i need to do my oil change. i want to go synthetic, however is this a good idea??? and if i am to switch over, how should i do this? also do a transmission flush with synthetic???
    thanks for the help.
    use natural till 10k

My STI has 97 miles on it bu when it gets to 1k I will do an oil change and then one at 3k and then 6k, etc...

so is 1k, 3k, 6k, 9k, etc...

The 1k oil change is because i have read that the first 1k miles of breakin will produce a lot of metal dust and is better if you remove it.
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I Support ClubWRX
    From my research I can only offer what I did in my 06 wrx. I waited till 1k miles before taking it over 4k. I was then extreamly concious of the "break in" oil and didnt really get on the car till I got that stuff out of it at around 3k miles.

It is commonly accepted not to switch to syn. oil till after 10k. Some folks have switched and had no issues, others claim that the rings will not break in properly because the syn. is much thinner.

I have used reg. oil for each change, and broke it in to around 3k miles. I check my oil often and havent used any noticeable amounts at 9k miles.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Speaking from my '06 STi experiences, I went synthetic at 1K miles. Had oil changes at 100, 1000, 3000, and approaching 6000. One poster already noted how he wanted to get the metal shavings and crap out at 1000 miles. 90% of it comes off in the first 100, so I wanted to pay a little more and make sure that debris spent as little time as possible in my engine.

And yes, many people opt NOT to go with synthetic. I'm not one of them, but I'll try to give you at least a perspective why:
    1) It's cheaper. $30 vs. $50 for oil changes, every time.
    2) SYNTHETIC BURNS!!! You should be checking your oil frequently and will end up adding about 1 quart extra per month... again, $$$.
    3) Some people actually swear that they lose performance with synthetic. I was talking with one of the mechanics at the Subie dealership... he has an '02 WRX running 550 hp and went synthetic and wishes he never did. Once you go synthetic, you don't go back unless you want to flush everything.

I didn't start seeing improvements in my gas mileage until the synethetic had been flowing for about 1500-2000 miles. FINALLY I've managed a fill-up at 20 mpg. I was seeing low 16s to low 19s prior, but now average high 18s to low 20s.

And do yourself a favor now that your break-in period is over... go find a wide but curvy road, and run it wide open throttle (to the floor baby!) from 2nd - 4th gears... It puts a giant smile on my face when I get to 100 that fast.

Hope you're enjoying the '07. Part of me wishes I waited, but I couldn't part with my car now.
    Justin - 2006 STi Rally Blue
    New England F4

If you go to synthetic, you should wait until at least 5000 miles before doing so. Multiple techs and tech line says something about allowing something to set it and it typically takes a min. of 5000 miles. i dont remember the details of what they were talking about, but just remember then saying to wait.

i also recommend changing the oil at your 1000-1500 mile period on a new car/engine. I have always done that....even did it a few times on my motorcycle (changed at 500 miles, 1000 miles and 1800 miles).

i would say against synthetic as it is even more likely to blow past the rings. even regular oil does this in the turbo engines and the synthetic will do it faster and more often, especially in "spirited" driving. You will need to check your oil level constantly with synthetic.

some people swear by the synthetic, but i wont use it in my WRX. 76k on regular oil at stage 2 and no problems or leaks. good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Banned
    synthetic is used in many high performance engines, don't see how it is bad to use it???? I have just done the second oil change on my rex with mobil 1 5w30 and it feels good and doen't burn oil at all. You guys are crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver View Post
    synthetic is used in many high performance engines, don't see how it is bad to use it???? I have just done the second oil change on my rex with mobil 1 5w30 and it feels good and doen't burn oil at all. You guys are crazy!!!
    im just telling you what some of the techs and the tech line have said about it. they suggest you wait until 5000 before using it if you plan on using it.

i never said it burns the oil. it blows the oil past the rings..where it goes, i have not idea. I am pretty sure that is why a lot of guys have the oil catch cans. i do not know how all of that works, i am just saying from what I have heard and been told...and from my own experience with non-sythetic oil as far as keeping an eye on it when it has been driven hard.
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 11-01-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    im just telling you what some of the techs and the tech line have said about it. they suggest you wait until 5000 before using it if you plan on using it.

i never said it burns the oil. it blows the oil past the rings..where it goes, i have not idea. I am pretty sure that is why a lot of guys have the oil catch cans. i do not know how all of that works, i am just saying from what I have heard and been told...and from my own experience with non-sythetic oil as far as keeping an eye on it when it has been driven hard.
    i've heard that you should wait till 10k
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Quote Originally Posted by orvtech View Post
    i've heard that you should wait till 10k
    I have heard 10k too, but lately i kept hearing 5k. It is probably better to be safe and go to 10k. probably better to do it a little later than it is too early.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post

When oil gets by the rings it goes into the cumbustion chamber where it burns. This will cause some smoke, maybe some black on the bumper and higher oil consumption levels.

I've used Mobil 1 since 2k and haven't had any problems. There are so many misconceptions in the field of Tribology (the study of lubrication and wear) that I don't really trust anything but test results. Many times a tech is worse than an old wife with their "tales". Scientific Data > a tech's opinion.

The downside to the descussion is that there really isn't much data on the subject. I honestly can't think of a seriously good reason why not to use synthetic, so I use it.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

[QUOTE=wrx wagone;1717711]When oil gets by the rings it goes into the cumbustion chamber where it burns. This will cause some smoke, maybe some black on the bumper and higher oil consumption levels.

QUOTE]
    My biggest question with that above is that I have had several people follow me in "spirited" driving...and even gone as far as to put the camcorder in the rear of the car to see if i have any smoke coming from the car under hard driving and do not have any smoke coming from the car in hard driving, but still see an oil level drop after a lot of hard driving.

will it always cause smoke or what determines if it does cause smoke from burning up?

i have always just been told in our cars that the chance for the oil to go past the rings is greater when using synthetic. where it goes once past the rings, i didnt know..nor care. just knew it wasnt a very good thing.

i do not have any black smoke coming out and definitely no signs of it on the rear bumper...does it not always burn enough at a time to show those signs or is there another reason?

Banned
    [QUOTE=GraysonSubaru;1717721]
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    When oil gets by the rings it goes into the cumbustion chamber where it burns. This will cause some smoke, maybe some black on the bumper and higher oil consumption levels.

QUOTE]
    My biggest question with that above is that I have had several people follow me in "spirited" driving...and even gone as far as to put the camcorder in the rear of the car to see if i have any smoke coming from the car under hard driving and do not have any smoke coming from the car in hard driving, but still see an oil level drop after a lot of hard driving.

will it always cause smoke or what determines if it does cause smoke from burning up?

i have always just been told in our cars that the chance for the oil to go past the rings is greater when using synthetic. where it goes once past the rings, i didnt know..nor care. just knew it wasnt a very good thing.

i do not have any black smoke coming out and definitely no signs of it on the rear bumper...does it not always burn enough at a time to show those signs or is there another reason?
    sounds to me like you have a perfectly normal car, congrats

2004 Aspen White STi - Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30 - 56,646 miles - no leaks .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.