Contemplating???

This is a discussion on Contemplating??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, New to this board, but i've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am really ready to ...

Contemplating???

Hey all,
    New to this board, but i've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am really ready to dump my current ride for an 07 STI Limited, but have reservations about changing. That STI is one hot car. I like the utility of 4doors and need it now [at least i think I do] cuz of child car seat and such. It would be a royal pain in the arse to get my kid in the back seat of my coupe. The performance of the STI definitely edges out... maybe even rips my current vehicles performance.... but would you trade an E46 M3 for the STI Limited... I want the limited due to the tone down wing and [semi]leather interior.
    Please advise

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome !!!
    what year is the m3 ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    welcome !!!
    what year is the m3 ?
    2002 White/SMG/19"wheels....

depends on how much you need the a doors, IMHO it might be hard to do, but once you get aggravated while putting your child in the back of your Coupe in the cold, rain or snow... you will have wished you did, plus the AWD is bettter that RWD in the weather
    D@VID
    2002 F150 s-crew
    07R6/08ZX-10
    STILL Hawk Eye Alliance #31
    "your drive should not be to outdo others,but to outdo yourself"

I would say you are going to regret this trade. Any way you look at it, you are downgrading. Don't get me wrong, the STI limited is one hell of a car, amazing in fact. But nonetheless, you will be coming from a sport and refinement icon (E46 M3) and I doubt the STI will measure up. Sure it has the power, handling, braking, and extra room... but it will be the little things that bug you. No insta-torque, no incredible refinements, no tight fitting interior, no high quality materials, etc...

I think you need to test drive one asap and then sit and think about it for a while. The STi Limited is a wonderful car, but going from an M3 to that might cause some regrets with the cheap interior peices and lack of drivers feedback. But if you live in an area with snow or lots of rain, it might be a consideration.
    I have known many people to go from 330 bimmers, G35c's, or Audi's and get into an STi or Evo and love it.

Honestly though, I would say shell out a bit more cash for a 335i sedan. You get M3 power (almost), great handling, modability, braking, etc.. Basically your M3, just a tad de-tuned but with more modability and you can get it in 4door.

I think that would be your best bet. Perhaps test drive the 335i and the STi L and see what suits you more.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

done deal

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I would say you are going to regret this trade. Any way you look at it, you are downgrading. Don't get me wrong, the STI limited is one hell of a car, amazing in fact. But nonetheless, you will be coming from a sport and refinement icon (E46 M3) and I doubt the STI will measure up. Sure it has the power, handling, braking, and extra room... but it will be the little things that bug you. No insta-torque, no incredible refinements, no tight fitting interior, no high quality materials, etc...

I think you need to test drive one asap and then sit and think about it for a while. The STi Limited is a wonderful car, but going from an M3 to that might cause some regrets with the cheap interior peices and lack of drivers feedback. But if you live in an area with snow or lots of rain, it might be a consideration.
    I have known many people to go from 330 bimmers, G35c's, or Audi's and get into an STi or Evo and love it.

Honestly though, I would say shell out a bit more cash for a 335i sedan. You get M3 power (almost), great handling, modability, braking, etc.. Basically your M3, just a tad de-tuned but with more modability and you can get it in 4door.

I think that would be your best bet. Perhaps test drive the 335i and the STi L and see what suits you more.
    Thanks, and all great points. Things I really did consider. I kept my car pretty well maintained. I it was a garage queen. I would agree that most BMWs have better finishes inside and out initially... but like all other manuf. things do degrade and once they start it's all downhill from there. My M3 developed squeeks and rattles that could not be fixed cheaply. The 19" Michelins needed replacing every 14-18mo [20-22k miles]. Oil changes at the stealer is outrageous. I've been going to an indy BMW master mech and though cheaper still costly. Replacing brakes, since you're not suppose to turn the rotors etc... cost about $1400. Once BMWs are out of the maint service warranty/agreement its costly. All things "I" did not consider or even researched when I purchased it back in 2002[my fault definitely... had I done so I'd have a GRIP of cash in the bank]. Back then I didn't have a mortgage, didn't have a wife, didn't a have a kid.... now I do so I don't want to be dumping money into maint cost of a M3... I realize that BMW has upped their service agreement since '02 and you can purchase an extension, but inevitably these cars will cost you an arm and a leg... at least the M series. If it weren't for that, I would have definitely kept the car... Yes, I purchased a white STi Limited this afternoon. Getting the baby car seat in the back is definitely easy... though a bit tighter.

I know I WILL miss that little refined beast... but it's turned into to a beast of burden that I could not bear. The STi Ltd is a very nice car in its own right. I like the exterior finish. I would say much more than the "flat" Alpine White my M3 is. The interior: though the quarters are a bit tighter, I feel that the fit and finish is good enough... it aint no 50-60k car so I don't expect it to be totally lux. I previously had a 98 ITR and I think it's on par with that. The leather though nice [i like the perforations] isn't as nice as the Nappa leather but it will do.

thanks again for the advice and thoughts... i'll report back with a comparison if anyone is interested...
    but for now, so long M3 you will be missed

Is that a bike rack on your m3?? thats badass.

Quote Originally Posted by juanes287 View Post
    Is that a bike rack on your m3?? thats badass.
    +1 ur m3 looks really nice!!!, congratz on ur purchase on the new 07 sti!!! POST SOME PIC UP WILL YA ^_^
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations on the new STi.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Congrats on your new STI! FYI I do a lot of mountain biking/backpacking and I have had absolutely no troubles reaching any/all trailheads with my WRX.

I hate to see people give up such nice cars due to situation changes. I'm sure the wife and baby are worth it and all, but an E46 M3!

You definitely picked a suitable replacement. Although an M5 has four doors...
    2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by Bboy AJ View Post
    I hate to see people give up such nice cars due to situation changes. I'm sure the wife and baby are worth it and all, but an E46 M3!

You definitely picked a suitable replacement. Although an M5 has four doors...
    LOL... Priorities change and so do hobbies and passions
    Man I tell ya... if my mountain biking passion hadn't taken over my car passion I would have considered the M5. But I rather pump money into mt bike vacations, new mt bikes new blingy parts than into cars nowadays. that being said... i'm looking into selling these stock wheels and getting a replacement set of 18s, lower the car a bit then that'll be it for now. How much are these things worth?

I have a load of money invested into my bikes and gear. Week long vacations to Whistler, Moab, Fruita, So. Utah/Vegas arent' cheap. I want to head over to France and Switzerland sometime in the near future and that'll be a pretty penny or two for sure.

Good pick up. Undoubtably the best car under $35k IMO.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.