I need a new car, and i've pretty much decided on a WRX.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I need a new car, and i've pretty much decided on a WRX. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, my tempo is starting to die, and theres really no use pouring more money into it. So i need ...

I need a new car, and i've pretty much decided on a WRX.

Well, my tempo is starting to die, and theres really no use pouring more money into it. So i need a new car asap. problem is i got nothing saved up right now, so im gonna have to completely finance the car over 3 or 4 years (at most).

The prices ive seen are anywhere from 12k-18k, so i think for that much, i better not skimp on performance, and reliability.

From what i hear, subaru has a good rep for making solid, reliable cars. Plus the AWD is really gonna help in these Buffalo, NY winters. A turbo helping put out 230 hp is really nice too, and 20-27 mpg aint that bad.

So, you can see all i gotta do is find a decent wrx, sign some papers, tell my boss im really gonna need more hours, lol, and im off! But i have a few questions though.

What is the recommended psi for the turbo, on the stock engine? just leave it the way it is? or can i up it a bit?

Hows the manual tranny? Shifting nice and smooth?

I'm under the assumption that the wrx has a decent bypass valve, so i dont need to get a BOV?

How does the stock exhaust setup sound?

To take 3 years to pay off a car, i wanna make sure its worth it, ya know?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by GStam66; 10-26-2006 at 03:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GStam66 View Post
    Well, my tempo is starting to die, and theres really no use pouring more money into it. So i need a new car asap. problem is i got nothing saved up right now, so im gonna have to completely finance the car over 3 or 4 years (at most).

The prices ive seen are anywhere from 12k-18k, so i think for that much, i better not skimp on performance, and reliability.

From what i hear, subaru has a good rep for making solid, reliable cars. Plus the AWD is really gonna help in these Buffalo, NY winters. A turbo helping put out 230 hp is really nice too, and 20-27 mpg aint that bad.

So, you can see all i gotta do is find a decent wrx, sign some papers, tell my boss im really gonna need more hours, lol, and im off! But i have a few questions though.

What is the recommended psi for the turbo, on the stock engine? just leave it the way it is? or can i up it a bit?

Hows the manual tranny? Shifting nice and smooth?

I'm under the assumption that the wrx has a decent bypass valve, so i dont need to get a BOV?

How does the stock exhaust setup sound?

To take 3 years to pay off a car, i wanna make sure its worth it, ya know?

Thanks in advance!

1) Yes, Subaru does make very reliable and solid cars. Some of the materials are of a low quality, but it also has positives that more than make up for that. The tranny is the only thing of concern because if it was abused by the previous owner, it may go out on you. Make sure to find an un-modded and well taken care of used wrx.

2) 20-27mpg's is not likely. Some members will say they average 25mpg's, but that is only attainable if you drive the car like an old lady. Most likely you will mpg's in the 18-21 range with split driving.

3) AWD ownz. If you have not had an AWD car yet, you will pleasantly surprised. However, the stock tires on the wrx are horrible, so get some nice all seasons or a dedicated snow tire if you want and snow is no longer to be feared, but to be destroyed by the WRX

4) In stock form the wrx is 13.5psi. It not recommended that you exceed 15.5psi on a boost controller. And if you do use a boost controller, you need to get a catless uppipe to avoid the materials burning off into the turbine at high heat. The best way to safely increase boost is through an accessport ecu which will boost upto 17psi on the stock turbo perfectly safely with a full exhaust.

5) Manual tranny is def. not smooth. In the cold, it often feels like shifting through a field of rocks. Sometime though, in the summer it feels nice. There are a lot of complaints about the shifting being rough, but on the positive side, it is very precise. Missing a shift in a wrx is near impossible.

6) Stock exhaust sounds quiet and is too small in diameter for the car if you plan to up the boost. An aftermarket exhaust sounds AMAZING on these cars though and gives a unique rumble that is known only to the wrx/sti's.

7) BOV is not necessary. The stock works perfectly well upto 19psi. If you want one purely for sound though, the Forge and Worx work well without causing complications. Many others actually hurt performance though.

Best of luck with your search. For the money, a used wrx is one phenominal car.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Alright, thanks.

Oh, i forgot, any big differences between the older 02's and the newer ones now? I figure i can afford an 02 or 03 (barely, lol), but was curious about any styling changes, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!

You are driving a Ford Tempo? The WRX has little in common with a Tempo - other than four wheels and cylinders. You will really enjoy a WRX.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

The WRX will be a nice uprgrade from the tempo.

Ill sum it up like this

Good reasons to buy a WRX:
    1.If you need/want AWD.
    2.If you want to mod.
    3.If you like the feel of an FI car

Bad Reasons to buy a WRX:
    1.If you don't like the feeling of an FI car.
    2. You don't plan to mod at all
    3. You want alot of refinement (the WRX is great but interior and smoothness are not its strong points

Overall its a very fun car that youll be able to get alot of use and enjoyment out of.

For the styling aspect 02-03 = bugeye 04-05- blobeye 06+ = edsel face
    Last edited by cavallino333; 10-26-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

To tell you the truth, my dream car is the mustang cobra, but with winter around the corner, and the cobra costing 28000+, i doubt im getting that anytime soon. AWD ftw!

I'd much rather get a reliable dd that i can have fun with, and get the cobra a few years from now, when i can buy it outright.

I always planned that when i would buy a new car, i would wait till i could at least put half of the price as a down payment. But **** happens, and you finding urself preparing to buy a $16,000 car, with a 250 dollar down payment. So, i really shouldnt be picky when it comes to interior (which i can style to my liking), or exterior color.

Hell, i always wanted a nice AWD car for the winter anyway, so what better than a wrx? (besides an STi of course). I know im gonna be happy with the wrx, its just the big dent in my pocketbook thats not gonna be fun.

Oh, and yes my tempo is fuel injected. Its not that old, its a 93. And its got 50,000 miles on it, so the engine is gonna hold up fine for a while. Might as well keep it as an emergency car or something?

also, what can i expect to be paying on insurance on a 2002/2003 wrx, with about 50K miles?

Im 18, one not-at-fault accident.

Insurance will most likely be a *****. i am 17 and i have one 2 point ticket and insurance is like $1300 a year. The wrx is rated like #4-5 on the most expensive cars to insure.

thats not bad at all. u take drivers ed? Which insurance u with.

I was payin 1400/year on my tempo with geico.

thats not bad at all. u take drivers ed? Which insurance u with.

I was payin 1400/year on my tempo with geico.
    i am pretty shure its farmers insurance and yeah i took drivers ed. I also have to good grade discount and the drivers ed does take some of the cost off.

damb insurance
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

The thing is, if i figure insurance to be 2600/yr, cell phone being 40/mo, and car payments on the WRX to be 300/mo, then if i make at least $150/week, i can pull it off.

Yeah, things will be tight, and ill only have one day off per week, and my summer will be filled with as much work as possible, so i can make things easier on myself, but at least ill have a nice car?

Banned
    I pay 800 a year

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    2) 20-27mpg's is not likely. Some members will say they average 25mpg's, but that is only attainable if you drive the car like an old lady. Most likely you will mpg's in the 18-21 range with split driving.
    Now I get 24-26 mpg with about half city and half highway. I see boost nearly every stoplight and quite a few times on the highway. I do NOT drive like an old lady but also I don't try to waste gas and I still get some decent gas milage I must say. 20-27 mpg range is actualy quite accurate. I guess my numbers are a bit higher then older models because of the extra torque. Unless you drive it like a manic and go WOT every chance you get...you shouldn't get too bad gas milage. Also with the gas prices going down so much, it isn't that much of a problem anyways. I was paying 3.20ish this summer but it's down to 2.14? for shell 93.

also, what can i expect to be paying on insurance on a 2002/2003 wrx, with about 50K miles?

Im 18, one not-at-fault accident.
    I am just turned 25.. and my insurance on a 2006 wrx is $50 a month, full coverage. I also have home owners insurance through the same company.. so that helps out a little bit. I have 2 speeding tickets, 0 accidents, 0 DUI's. Hope this kinda helps. Oh, and I am from the Milwaukee area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast