Very Exciting.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Very Exciting. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 2006 WRX TR last month, and still can't believe that it's parked in my driveway. My ...

Very Exciting.

I just purchased a 2006 WRX TR last month, and still can't believe that it's parked in my driveway. My dream was to own an STI, but after test driving the TR.. it was exciting enough for me.. and just as awesome for what I could afford. I was driving a Scion XB, with just about everything done to it.. it was cool for awhile.. but I needed performance. My first two weeks of owning the car, I started to notice a loud *knock* noise, which turned out to be missing transmission brackets. The dealership said that it appeared they were never installed from the factory. They were cool about it, and fixed it without any question. After a proper break in of the TR, I didn't hesitate to dig into the performance parts.. starting out with an Omori Boost gauge, which I can't figure out why it "ticks" when at about 10-13 PSI. I have checked all connections for leaks, and made sure that it is mounted to the steering colum securely. Next, I went with a Kartboy short shifter & bushings. Knowing the potential of the WRX, I had to have the Access Port... so I ordered that.. and was very impressed with the ease of installation. The stage one showed some nice gains in power in 4th and 5th gear. I have been doing a lot of reading up on these very helpful forums, and also decided to do the silencer delete.. which is an awesome free modification. The sound of the turbo spooling, and a nice bypass valve sigh was quite noticable. Tonight, I installed an HKS hi power catback exhaust... very easy to install, and the sound is a nice low rumble. I am still debating which downpipe to install, so any recommendations would be great... I am looking for one with cats. I found an AWD dyno in my area last week, so I plan to possibly install the Street tuner AP... depending on if they mess with that or not. Either way, I plan to take a few runs.. just to see what the WRX is pushing out at the wheels. I will make sure to post some results just as soon as I get them. I had to express my excitement with somebody, who better than a group of people that all share the same passion. Thanks for taking the time to read, and I plan on gaining.. and sharing knowledge with you all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice Post pictures. Thats a pretty good upgrade from the little box you were driving before it.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

good choice on cars (I might have gone with the sti but I have had my rex almost 2 years) if you are going to have the car tuned you don't need the street turner software that is if you wanted to get into tuning, one cheap option for catted dp is to buy a cheap erz and a magnaflow 3" high flow cat and have a muffler shop weld it in (assuming you don't have welding exp.)
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Very nice introduction, and I was ecstatic to see that you've been doing your research prior to modding!

+1 for pics!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Go for the Cobb downpipe....so nice. After that, flash that bad boy to Stage 2!

cobb

The cobb dp was the one that I have really been thinking about. Is there any known boost creep with the catted dp's?

I actually think that you have more of a chance with a catless system. You should be good to go!!

as in a boost spike is more likely with the catless setup

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
    starting out with an Omori Boost gauge, which I can't figure out why it "ticks" when at about 10-13 PSI. I have checked all connections for leaks, and made sure that it is mounted to the steering colum securely.

That damn thing has been driving me crazy!!!

I have remounted it twice tried using carboard and rubber bands as shims in the pod to isolate the noise and it still does it. Albeit less now that I installed an o-ring inside the pod to dampen the sound.

Makes me wonder if maybe there was a reason the stock one is rubber mounted.

Hey welcome and nice screen name.

Welcome !
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Just to save you any potential fitment headaches i'd go with a downpipe that is a full 3", not the cobb (which tapers down so it can mount to the stock catback and use the donut gasket). Go with helix, invidia, or perrin (perrin's catted dp is a bit on the expensive side, but its been working great for me with no spike or creep). Helix and Invidia are pretty good bang for the buck though and people love it too.

Welcome and enjoy!
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

I looked into the install instructions for the Cobb DP, and it says that you can use the DP with aftermarket catbacks that don't use the stock Donut gasket. I wish there were more DP's out there that had cats on them... actually I wish I didn't have emissions here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.