Considering a WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Considering a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I'm new here obviously. I like the WRX as a possibility for my next car. I would be ...

Question Considering a WRX

Hello everyone, I'm new here obviously. I like the WRX as a possibility for my next car. I would be buying new (financing) and trading in my current car, an '05 Nissan Altima SE-R.

First I want to list my reasons for wanting to move away from the altima.

1- Bad modding platform. There are few things to improve performance, and the things that do either cost a LOT or make little difference, and usually its both.

2- bad custom sound system platform. the interior is absolutely horrible. I have rattles coming out of almost anywhere, and that's when it was stock. now with my 15" sub in the trunk, the car rattles like no other (my old 96 maxima didn't do it anywhere near as much)

3- i was stupid to buy the car when I did, yes I got a good price but I didn't wait for better financing incentives and my apr is 5.9% my payments are relatively high

4- front wheel drive

5- torque steer because of #4

6- I don't need a car that big

Now that this is out of the way, the things I like about the WRX are the performance potential, and AWD most of all.

Are there things I should be concerned about? What should I watch out for?

I saw that now is a good time to buy a new 06 model because I can get in on 0% APR and $1000 rebate...

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you are making a good choice.

As a former Nissan owner (2 maxima's) that still frequently browses maxima.org I can agree with your negative interpretations of the SE-R Altima. It is a pretty nic car with good power, but just not a performance car.

One thing though, if you are not crazy about the altima interior and the rattles, do not expect too much more from Subaru. Other than that though, it is a great car. Quick, reliable, handles well, brakes well, etc.... And as you already mentioned, mod potential is there and with the 2.5L motor and easy stage2 upgrade I don't think you will be missing the tq much in the altima seeing as the wrx will make over 300ft/lbs.

Nothing to really watch out for with the car. If you are buying new, then just try for the best deal possible. There are no problems with the car that you should be looking for either. Just don't beat on the tranny seeing as some people have been having issues with their tranny when it is abused and not properly broken in.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

thanks for the response, that's exactly what i'm looking for.

as for the interior rattles, just how common are they in WRXs? (I'm leaning toward a wagon possibly, unless somoene convinces me otherwise)

also, if rattles do occur, are they generally fixable?

the rattle problems and overall "cheapness" of the interior of my almost 30k car really makes me doubt nissan. the sad part is that I can't do anything about the rattles that are CONSTANT, over the smallest bumps and on even pavement, doesn't matter, the front dash rattles so much I think it was put together by a drunk... and nissan won't do anything about it either.

I had a load of rattles in my WRX. Most of them were near constant. If a nicer interior is on the top of your list then don't buy a wrx.

goood reasons to buy a wrx: decent performance to money ratio, easy and cheap to mod, boost, AWD, reliability.

Bad reasons to buy a wrx: if you want a nicer interior/ interior quality, if you want good gas mileage
    Last edited by cavallino333; 10-22-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

wrx's are fun cars to have but if you want something more luxury i would stick with the altima and the gas isn't the best but I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything....well maybe a newer skyline or a bmw m3....lol

yikes, almost constant?

sad thing is, the altima is far far far from luxury

Quote Originally Posted by polishpunk68 View Post
    yikes, almost constant?

sad thing is, the altima is far far far from luxury
    i mean in a sense, compared to a wrx it is somewhat, not like a cadillac or anything

sorry i should've worded it different

Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinWrxGirl View Post
    i mean in a sense, compared to a wrx it is somewhat, not like a cadillac or anything

sorry i should've worded it different
    heh and what I meant is that the altima, at least the se-r, is a sport-luxury car wanna be, it fails in all aspects of it being luxury. the leather is the worst i've seen in any car, the plastic used is also the cheapest i've seen in any car. my old old 04 altima had no interior rattles and was actually nice on the inside, nissan got progressivly worse over time it seems

is it really a luck of the draw with the wrx? do some cars not have any significant interior problems?

Yeah, my wrx @ 50k miles has a decent amount of rattles that are relatively constant. Not that bad in the summer, but during winter when it gets cold out it can get a bit annoying. Since you owned a 4th gen maxima I can say this for comparison.... When I sold my 97' SE w 90k miles it had less rattles than my wrx @ 40k miles.

I am not sure how important a good interior is to you. If you absolutely cannot have rattles, then I wouldn't go with the wrx. Granted, the 06's have the upgraded interior though, which is better than previous years (mine is an 02). My g/f has the upgraded interior and at 25k miles she has no rattles.

I would just go test drive one and see how you like it. Interior pieces are kinda cheap, but not bad for the price of the car and rattles seem to be less frequent in the 2005+ model years.

Also, while you are at the dealership testing the wrx, try a legacy GT too. Only a few grand more than the wrx and considerably more luxurious. Less rattles, better interior, better shifter, but still is quick w/2.5L turbo and mods easily. Only issue is the handling, which can be easily fixed with some basic suspension mods. The Legacy GT might be the median you are looking for between the Altima and WRX.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Only read the first three posts thus far, sorry if I'm repeating anything.

I agree, my 2004 WRX has some rattles, the mirror rattles real bad with a sub in (Can't hardly see out of it, might want to replace the stock mirror with something more stable if you put a sub in it), also the dash seems to rattle a bit.

Buddy of mine has a 2006 Audi A4 2.0. It's not all that quick, only ~7-8ish 0-60 I believe, but it does have a VERY nice interior that I'm jealous of. It also handles just as good, if not better than the WRX in my opinion, possibly because of the traction control.

If you're looking for interior / sound, with some performance, I might recommend and Audi of some flavor. Granted, you'll probably be paying a good bit more. (His headlights even turn a good bit when he turns the wheel, very nice effect and useful too, not just a ricer-type thing). My next car may very well be an Audi.

All said and done, I absolutely LOVE my 2004 (Silver) WRX. It'll be my car until it starts causing numerous problems, and thus far I've had none (Nothing needed replaced really, at ~45k miles).

Banned
    get a wagon, mine is a n 04' and it has no rattles what so ever at 33,000 miles. Mine was just built better than the others I guess.

[QUOTE=polishpunk68;1708715]Hel

I saw that now is a good time to buy a new 06 model because I can get in on 0% APR and $1000 rebate...

QUOTE]

i dont know what region you are in, but in the SE region, the 0% is not available with the $1000 dealer cash. It is one or the other.

The $1000 may or may not be a customer rebate, but it is doubtful SOA is offering the special rate and dealercash/rebate together on the Impreza models. You may want to get that in writing.

I priced a 2006 TR for $21,963 earlier and that is only about $150 over NET cost including the dealer cash -- that is even after market support and holdback. (invoice is $23,773).

The only 2006 models currently being offered with the special rate and dealercash/rebate are the Tribeca models.

Also remember, the 0% is for 24 months and requires a 700+ beacon score to be considered. If you take $21,990 and divide it by 24 months, that is a payment of $916 per month...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by polishpunk68 View Post
    heh and what I meant is that the altima, at least the se-r, is a sport-luxury car wanna be, it fails in all aspects of it being luxury. the leather is the worst i've seen in any car, the plastic used is also the cheapest i've seen in any car. my old old 04 altima had no interior rattles and was actually nice on the inside, nissan got progressivly worse over time it seems

is it really a luck of the draw with the wrx? do some cars not have any significant interior problems?
    I think the plastic in a WRX is cheaper, honestly. The windows squeak when you roll them up, the seats don't go back very far, etc. And if no one told you yet, the paint job is bordering on tragic. My 05 Accord is a friggin Maybach by comparison. However, it was amazing fun. But don't expect much in terms of high-end when you're buying essentially a street-adapted rally car.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Alright, who said cheap to mod? lol If you buy ebay parts yes... if you're a brand name guy... hell no.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    Alright, who said cheap to mod? lol If you buy ebay parts yes... if you're a brand name guy... hell no.
    cheaper to mod than an S2000, 350z or NSX (i am NOT the one who said cheap to mod BTW)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast