Considering a WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Considering a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru cheaper to mod than an S2000, 350z or NSX (i am NOT the one who said ...

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    cheaper to mod than an S2000, 350z or NSX (i am NOT the one who said cheap to mod BTW)

+1000

Look at the cost of a ctaback on a 350Z compared to a WRX. A good exhaust on a Z can cost double that. + its eaier to make power. WRX's are expensive compared to say trucks or civic but still there pretty damn cheap.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I would say easy to mod for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    +1000

WRX's are expensive compared to say trucks or civic but still there pretty damn cheap.
    not than all trucks...i just sold a Silverado SS truck (2003) with a garret Turbo kit from detriot speedworks that had over $9000 in receipts!!!

(388.03 hp and 464.48 ft lbs on a mustang dyno).

Total was $9,541.94
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 10-23-2006 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I saw a duramax dually run a 10.8 at the track. It was one of the coolest things ever.

Ya i guess it's cheaper than those but NSX is understandable and so is Nissan cuz of the Nismo ish and all the huge name brands that make parts for it. The S2k isn't that expensive though is it?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I saw a duramax dually run a 10.8 at the track. It was one of the coolest things ever.

Ya i guess it's cheaper than those but NSX is understandable and so is Nissan cuz of the Nismo ish and all the huge name brands that make parts for it. The S2k isn't that expensive though is it?
    $4k + for a supercharger kit (not including labor or anything other misc things you may need to complete the kit)

i looked at it for my S2K when i had it..needless to say that didnt get done. i traded it at 40 days for the 2005 WRX i used to have. I even flew to boston and drove the S2k back to TN!!! 20hours drive time, just to trade it a month later. doh!

forgot to add, it was February in Boston when i drove it back !!! S2K + snow = good donuts, but horrible driving
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Alright, who said cheap to mod? lol If you buy ebay parts yes... if you're a brand name guy... hell no.
    I said it was cheap to mod, and if you knew anything about the wrx where to look and what parts to get you can undoubtably get quality parts that give amazing power gains for the price.

Other than a DSM/Evo, I think the wrx is one of the more easily moddable cars out there. Not the the most cheap/easy but def. one of. You can get a catback for $400 brand new, downpipe for $250 brand new, and an accessport for $600 brand new and see a reliable increase of over 50whp and 60+tq.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    $4k + for a supercharger kit (not including labor or anything other misc things you may need to complete the kit)

i looked at it for my S2K when i had it..needless to say that didnt get done. i traded it at 40 days for the 2005 WRX i used to have. I even flew to boston and drove the S2k back to TN!!! 20hours drive time, just to trade it a month later. doh!

forgot to add, it was February in Boston when i drove it back !!! S2K + snow = good donuts, but horrible driving
    Considering the gains that's not really too bad.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I said it was cheap to mod, and if you knew anything about the wrx where to look and what parts to get you can undoubtably get quality parts that give amazing power gains for the price.

Other than a DSM/Evo, I think the wrx is one of the more easily moddable cars out there. Not the the most cheap/easy but def. one of. You can get a catback for $400 brand new, downpipe for $250 brand new, and an accessport for $600 brand new and see a reliable increase of over 50whp and 60+tq.
    I don't, i'm a n00b. I know the path i should take and that's about it... i'm cheap and will probably go the ebay route since i'm a machinist and can take a $50 ebay uppipe and make it easily a $250 uppipe.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I don't, i'm a n00b. I know the path i should take and that's about it... i'm cheap and will probably go the ebay route since i'm a machinist and can take a $50 ebay uppipe and make it easily a $250 uppipe.
    If you can custom fabricate your own stuff that is great. But even still, the stuff really isn't that expensive if you know what to get. Now if you "have to have" that HKS carbon-ti exhaust, then yes, you are going to drop nearly $800 for just a catback. But you could also go with Borla Hush, Greddy Evo, Helix, Bosal, etc.. and spend less than $500 (a couple of those are $400). It all depends what you want.

Just take your time and do a little research. Some vendors can be more than $50 cheaper for exhaust parts and many offer free shipping as well.

Plus, I recommend buying used exhaust parts. A downpipe, uppipe, or catback will work the same exact way at 2 years old than it would brand new, and by buying used you save like 30% over retail.

Best of luck.
    Just call me Clark Kent

coming from a 93 sentra SER... 150K miles, and a 96 maxima SE 5sp.. 190K miles... my experience with my wrx wagon that I bought a year n a half ago w/ 49K, now has 92K....is no rattls here.. I mean every once ina while in cold weather of course I get some squeeks n groans, but every day driving, no constant ones....and I couldn't be happier with finding my bugeye..

Quote Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
    coming from a 93 sentra SER... 150K miles, and a 96 maxima SE 5sp.. 190K miles... my experience with my wrx wagon that I bought a year n a half ago w/ 49K, now has 92K....is no rattls here.. I mean every once ina while in cold weather of course I get some squeeks n groans, but every day driving, no constant ones....and I couldn't be happier with finding my bugeye..
    Stock suspension?

Going with an aftermarket suspension will increase the rattles as well. My ride is pretty harsh right now, and that will def. contribute to some of the rattles.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    If you can custom fabricate your own stuff that is great. But even still, the stuff really isn't that expensive if you know what to get. Now if you "have to have" that HKS carbon-ti exhaust, then yes, you are going to drop nearly $800 for just a catback. But you could also go with Borla Hush, Greddy Evo, Helix, Bosal, etc.. and spend less than $500 (a couple of those are $400). It all depends what you want.

Just take your time and do a little research. Some vendors can be more than $50 cheaper for exhaust parts and many offer free shipping as well.

Plus, I recommend buying used exhaust parts. A downpipe, uppipe, or catback will work the same exact way at 2 years old than it would brand new, and by buying used you save like 30% over retail.

Best of luck.
    IMO it doesn't matter what mandrel bent tubing you get as long as it's SS and mandrel bent. It's all the same really. The part that matters to me is the sound i get out of it. Which is why i'm gonna buy a generic ebay 3" exhaust and then buy the muffler of my choice. The downpipe will probably be the same. Generic ebay bellmouth and i'll put a coating on it. I don't care about a name and don't need to brag to my friends that i have a perrin this or a cobb that. If it matters and that is in fact the best quality one... that's what i'll get. With exhaust you're just payin for a name though.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12