how d you know that you've broken in an new STI engine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on how d you know that you've broken in an new STI engine? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I have been nice and easy on my 07 STI for a week. It has been almost 600 ...

how d you know that you've broken in a new STI engine?

Hi all,

I have been nice and easy on my 07 STI for a week. It has been almost 600 miles and I have been feeling some turbo lag (it feels like two turbo lags at the same time) and geeting anxious about feeling the real performance.

How would you guys know that you have broken in to your new STI?

What should I expect from the engine after the first 1000 miles?

How common is the lag in STIs in general?

Thanks,
    Last edited by mrjenkins; 10-19-2006 at 10:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

keep her under 4K till 1,000mi then get an oil change, then go have fun.

Lag shouldnt be too bad since the Turbo isnt HUGE and the 2.5L helps.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Thanks. Although it is very difficult, I have been keeping it under 4k. I cant wait to nail myself into the seat. I have been driving turbo charged cars for a long time but nothing compares to 300/300 on 4 wheels. And the grip? Man this car is a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    keep her under 4K till 1,000mi then get an oil change, then go have fun.

Lag shouldnt be too bad since the Turbo isnt HUGE and the 2.5L helps.

One thing you gotta do though...race people when it's raining...you'll win everytime! Lag is not bad but it is noticable...thing is to keep it revved if you're trying to go fast. Starting out slow in first or second and slamming on the gas won't really take off until that boost is kicking. If you get on it at 1k RPMs you'll wonder where the power is...until you hit 4k+ and you'll say
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

How necessary do you think to get winter tires for someone lives in the DC area? I commute from Old Town, Alexandria to Tysons Corner everday. Last winter was not bad at all.

Generally people say that the stock tires are pretty bad when it is icey or it snow. It is expected but the weather gets that bad only few times here.

With the rims and all it gets very pricey, especially right after getting into debt for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by n00bulat0l2
    One thing you gotta do though...race people when it's raining...you'll win everytime! Lag is not bad but it is noticable...thing is to keep it revved if you're trying to go fast. Starting out slow in first or second and slamming on the gas won't really take off until that boost is kicking. If you get on it at 1k RPMs you'll wonder where the power is...until you hit 4k+ and you'll say

I've seen a lot of people recommend an oil change at 1,000 miles. Is this the best time to start with synthetic? Or, should I save that for the routine 3,000 checkup at the dealership?
    '06 WRB WRX

breaking in a sti engine? redline the day you leave the dealership till the day you sell it. I dont believe in breaking in engines.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjenkins
    How necessary do you think to get winter tires for someone lives in the DC area? I commute from Old Town, Alexandria to Tysons Corner everday. Last winter was not bad at all.

Generally people say that the stock tires are pretty bad when it is icey or it snow. It is expected but the weather gets that bad only few times here.

With the rims and all it gets very pricey, especially right after getting into debt for the rest of my life
    Living in that area;
    -I wouldn't bother with the whole "winter package" thing. Especially if you don't have the funds to invest.
    -I would suggest going with some decent all-season tires in the winter months, though.

+1 on not being too concerned with the "exactly 1000 mile" break in period. I would go ahead and "open it up".

Lag is part of the deal. Learn to deal and focus on the positive of what you have. I will say though the STi is not bad for lag compared to the older 2.0 liter WRXs.
    Last edited by TheJ; 10-19-2006 at 01:28 PM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    I also don't believe in long break in periods. We break our race engines in on the dyno. 20 minutes at 2500RPM, a change of valve springs, and on to the pulls!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I also don't believe in long break in periods. We break our race engines in on the dyno. 20 minutes at 2500RPM, a change of valve springs, and on to the pulls!
    yeah, and do you expect the engines to go 100k+ miles without rebuilds or major tear-downs?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I went wild with my sti like after 300 miles... might as well try to see if anything is going to break so you can take it back... cuz when you start modding then you really cant take it back for every little thing
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911
    I went wild with my sti like after 300 miles... might as well try to see if anything is going to break so you can take it back... cuz when you start modding then you really cant take it back for every little thing
    you have like 3 years or 36k miles.
    go f*** yourself

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ
    Living in that area;
    -I wouldn't bother with the whole "winter package" thing. Especially if you don't have the funds to invest.
    -I would suggest going with some decent all-season tires in the winter months, though.
    I agree! I live in NoVA (Fairfax) and I commute to Tysons Corner as well! You'll be on the major roads anyway, so snow won't be much of a bother (well not as much of a bother as other drivers), but I recommend just some good all-season tires. I got my sweet Kumho ECSTA ASX all-season tires for $60/each from Tire Rack. I noticed a huge improvement over the stockers. Unless you're off-roading, rallying, or taking a lot of unpaved back-roads, I don't think it's necessary to have snow tires right now.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    I agree! I live in NoVA (Fairfax) and I commute to Tysons Corner as well! You'll be on the major roads anyway, so snow won't be much of a bother (well not as much of a bother as other drivers), but I recommend just some good all-season tires. I got my sweet Kumho ECSTA ASX all-season tires for $60/each from Tire Rack. I noticed a huge improvement over the stockers. Unless you're off-roading, rallying, or taking a lot of unpaved back-roads, I don't think it's necessary to have snow tires right now.
    I too had teh ASX on my WRX. They were great and very cheap. I had the 225/50's on my stock wheels...no complaints.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    you have like 3 years or 36k miles.
    yea but i started modding @ like 1500 miles ! so i figured if it had to go wrong it would do it by then
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast