hi question on auto wrx 2002
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

This is a discussion on hi question on auto wrx 2002 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi, planning to get an auto wrx for k w/ 105k miles anything i should check? and is it worth ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7

    hi question on auto wrx 2002

    hi, planning to get an auto wrx for $7k w/ 105k miles

    anything i should check? and is it worth it? any problems with the 4eat? thanks in advance!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    A 4EAT! You're definitely living up to your user name already! Welcome to the Club!

    Did you get a Carfax history of this car? As far as mileage goes, it's high, but Subarus have proven to be pretty reliable. Since this is not a new question, might I suggest the search button?

    Also, I'd check out the Car Purchasing Forum as well as the How to Buy a Used WRX thread.

    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7
    actually, this car is for my wife to drive and for the winter....

    i have a honda del sol turbo for fun...hehe

    i checked carfax, is good so far, just lots of mileage....

    also found a 04 wrx w/ all option moonroof, heated seats w/ 4eat as well about 101k miles and selling for 10k not negotiable

    which one is better pro and cons...??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.JPG  

  5. #4

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    Aww, well if it's for the wife, that's very nice of you. I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it just as much though!

    Personally, I'd go with the '04 because it has a slightly stronger transmission/synchros than the '02/'03's do. Not to mention the added bonus of heated seats and a few more "bells n' whistles".

    The KBB Private Party value of the '04 (if it's in 'Good' condition, and using my zip) is $12,640. So it's looks like $10k is not that bad.


    I think the most important issue is the reliability of each vehicle. Are both being sold private party? Have you inspected both vehicles for previous modding, etc.? Are both in good condition with clean records? If it comes down to it (and I highly suggest this), you should have a mechanic friend (who's familiar with Subarus) inspect them.

    Good luck!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  6. #5
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    You might want to rethink the WRX if you are getting auto. As you know from your DelSol, lag is not your friend and the auto-WRX has TONS of lag. If she HAS to have auto, get at least a V6 or a VW 1.8T b/c their turbos are so small that they are torquey around town but still suck on the highway.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  7. #6

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    You might want to rethink the WRX if you are getting auto. As you know from your DelSol, lag is not your friend and the auto-WRX has TONS of lag. If she HAS to have auto, get at least a V6 or a VW 1.8T b/c their turbos are so small that they are torquey around town but still suck on the highway.
    See, I belive this is a matter of personal opinion.

    Because originally I was going to get a 4EAT (didn't know how to drive stick), and I test drove several auto WRXes. I thought they were fun, quirky, and didn't think the turbo lagged as much as everyone exaggerates it to be. Besides, an auto makes a better track car and you'll never mis-shift. An auto is also good if you live in a city with constant stop n' go traffic.

    Besides, isn't a used automatic most likely more reliable than a used manual because you can't launch at 7k rpms or misshift into 2nd, etc.?

    We also have some infamous auto WRX drivers on here...Verdugo (Armin), 03YellowWRX (Jenn), etc.



    (But don't get me wrong though, manual rocks!)
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  8. #7
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    My g/f drives an 05' 9-2X that is automatic and she likes it. She does complain about the lag sometimes, but I have driven the car many times and it has decent power and for a daily driver is not bad. Plus, if the lag is really that much of an issue, dropping $400 into a downpipe and uppipe will GREATLY reduce the lag on an auto wrx.

    As for which is better, I would focus on condition. With that many miles you need to be careful, and generally which ever one seems to be better taken care of is the one you want to buy.
    Bugeyes (2002/2003) look better, but if the 04' is in better condition I would go with that.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  9. #8
    Registered User JETS02WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    West Chester, Pa
    Posts
    68
    Are you planning on modding it for her? If not, I'd go with auto in a 2.5 RS. I think she'd be happier. Without a little mild modding, the 4eat wrx is a bastard when trying to merge into busy traffic and what not. The extra low end pep of the 2.5 will help. I have the 02 4eat WRX with your standard modifcations and I love it... but before it got quite annoying sometimes dangerous when trying to squeeze into traffic.

    As far as what to check...check the obvious... drive and feel / listen for slippage of the auto tranny, look for 'wrench' marks around the turbo, exhaust area, intake area, etc...
    Look for more than normal buildup of muck around the differentials and check the gear fluid levels. I have a slight build up but no signficant leaking . All in all though, the 4eat is considered much stronger than the manual and even with moderate 'beating' still holds up very well.
    02 MBP WRX Wagon
    INFO ABOUT THE WAGON

    06 WRB WRX Limited
    tristatetuners.com

  10. #9
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Besides, an auto makes a better track car and you'll never mis-shift. An auto is also good if you live in a city with constant stop n' go traffic.

    Besides, isn't a used automatic most likely more reliable than a used manual because you can't launch at 7k rpms or misshift into 2nd, etc.?

    We also have some infamous auto WRX drivers on here...Verdugo (Armin), 03YellowWRX (Jenn), etc.
    Auto makes for a better Drag car (for high horsepower cars), not track car.

    I live in Boston, ive never had an issue w/ manual in the city and actually find it easier than an Auto which requires the brake to be applied when stopped and the blip of an auto is very unreliable (how much will the car move!?) compared to a controlled clutch/blip that you can guarantee the distance the car will move. Much more control in a manual.

    Yes we have infamous owners b/c they are nice people who we all enjoy, not b/c they own amazing autos, and i think Armin's M3 is stick.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  11. #10
    Registered User WRXDriver82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norwich, CT
    Posts
    743
    I love my 4eat! I recently drove a manual 06 and I really didn't find the 06's turbo lag to all that much superior to my 4eat. One plus of the automatic is you don't loose boost between shifts. The other nice thing about buying a used 4eat is most people don't beat on them (excepf for the few of us on here). So you won't have to worry about the previous owners bad habits of driving a manual like launching in second gear.

    I say as long as you take her out for a test drive on both backroads and on the highway and you like what you here/feel then go for it!
    NEW ENGLAND F4

    TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

  12. #11

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Auto makes for a better Drag car (for high horsepower cars), not track car.

    I live in Boston, ive never had an issue w/ manual in the city and actually find it easier than an Auto which requires the brake to be applied when stopped and the blip of an auto is very unreliable (how much will the car move!?) compared to a controlled clutch/blip that you can guarantee the distance the car will move. Much more control in a manual.

    Yes we have infamous owners b/c they are nice people who we all enjoy, not b/c they own amazing autos, and i think Armin's M3 is stick.
    I meant 'drag' car....I always say I'm going to the 'track' and I mean 'drag strip', because they're all called racetracks. Thanks for clarifying.

    Second of all, I drive in rush hour every day and live in a county with a population of over a million and abundant in stop lights, and I have no problem with manual. I was just saying that some people prefer automatic because of this. They don't want the added work of shifting/clutching often and would rather just chill.

    Also, I mentioned Armin and Jenn as great references to discuss having Auto trannies, as both thoroughly enjoy their cars, in racing and in show. If he wanted opinions of members who actually had Automatics, I was giving him some names.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  13. #12
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    I meant 'drag' car....I always say I'm going to the 'track' and I mean 'drag strip', because they're all called racetracks. Thanks for clarifying.

    Second of all, I drive in rush hour every day and live in a county with a population of over a million and abundant in stop lights, and I have no problem with manual. I was just saying that some people prefer automatic because of this. They don't want the added work of shifting/clutching often and would rather just chill.

    Also, I mentioned Armin and Jenn as great references to discuss having Auto trannies, as both thoroughly enjoy their cars, in racing and in show. If he wanted opinions of members who actually had Automatics, I was giving him some names.
    I dont like your attitude. /sarcasm

    1. Sorry I thought you really meant at the Track and not a Dragstrip.

    2. I find those people to be lazy. lol.

    3. Yes i know i know.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7
    Thanks guys for the input!!!

    i test drove the 04 w/ my wife and no slippage nor shift kicks.... a lil laggy from a stop, but handled awesome doing a 90 degree left turn and gassing it w/ 4 ppl in the car, no body roll which was surprising. Asked my wife that after the test drive and she said she liked how the seats fit and she didnt feel body roll when i did that turn which she feels when i do it w/ the del sol. Handles very good, but having 4 ppl in the car might be reason y it felt slow....


    my del sol doesnt have any lag, usually pushes full boost at 3k rpm on 2nd gear...its fun to drive, but too light and suspension arent that great compared to the wrx, feels like it is flying compared to the wrx.

    I didnt get to test drive the 02 model yet, but from what the owner said, the rear shocks needs to be replaced as well as timing belt. Both wrx needs to change timing belt tho. The 04 is silver and is one owner who drove it 100k miles in 2 yrs and car smells like cigarettes. The 02 has a dent on front fender, but owner has it for 4 yrs and does the oil changes...

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS02WRX
    Are you planning on modding it for her? If not, I'd go with auto in a 2.5 RS. I think she'd be happier. Without a little mild modding, the 4eat wrx is a bastard when trying to merge into busy traffic and what not. The extra low end pep of the 2.5 will help. I have the 02 4eat WRX with your standard modifcations and I love it... but before it got quite annoying sometimes dangerous when trying to squeeze into traffic.

    As far as what to check...check the obvious... drive and feel / listen for slippage of the auto tranny, look for 'wrench' marks around the turbo, exhaust area, intake area, etc...
    Look for more than normal buildup of muck around the differentials and check the gear fluid levels. I have a slight build up but no signficant leaking . All in all though, the 4eat is considered much stronger than the manual and even with moderate 'beating' still holds up very well.

    i would change the uppipe for less lag from what i have been reading for either one and i read that 4eat does hold a bit more power than the manual.

  16. #15

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    Quote Originally Posted by boyurlazy
    Thanks guys for the input!!!

    i test drove the 04 w/ my wife and no slippage nor shift kicks.... a lil laggy from a stop, but handled awesome doing a 90 degree left turn and gassing it w/ 4 ppl in the car, no body roll which was surprising. Asked my wife that after the test drive and she said she liked how the seats fit and she didnt feel body roll when i did that turn which she feels when i do it w/ the del sol. Handles very good, but having 4 ppl in the car might be reason y it felt slow....


    my del sol doesnt have any lag, usually pushes full boost at 3k rpm on 2nd gear...its fun to drive, but too light and suspension arent that great compared to the wrx, feels like it is flying compared to the wrx.

    I didnt get to test drive the 02 model yet, but from what the owner said, the rear shocks needs to be replaced as well as timing belt. Both wrx needs to change timing belt tho. The 04 is silver and is one owner who drove it 100k miles in 2 yrs and car smells like cigarettes. The 02 has a dent on front fender, but owner has it for 4 yrs and does the oil changes...
    Well as it's already been mentioned, the auto 'lag issue' can be alleviated with some simple mods. But sorry to hear about the cigarette smell...that's definitely a turn-off. But there's some threads on here about members who have been able to get rid of the smell with a variety of solutions. As for the dent in the '02...if it doesn't bother you, then I wouldn't worry too much. Especially because it's gauranteed to happen again in mall and grocery store parking lots, that's inevitable. Let us know how the '02 test drive goes!



    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    I dont like your attitude. /sarcasm
    1. Sorry I thought you really meant at the Track and not a Dragstrip.
    2. I find those people to be lazy. lol.
    3. Yes i know i know.
    Honestly, my post did sound more 'straight forward' than I intended it to be.

    I agree with #2, and actually had typed something along those lines in my original post, but then decided that I didn't want to alienate the new member.

    Now that I've driven manual, I'll never go back. I was just playing devil's advocate.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •