hardcore noob
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on hardcore noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yo whats up thinking about getting a wrx but im hearing many things alot of people told me the tranny's ...

hardcore noob

yo whats up
    thinking about getting a wrx but im hearing many things
    alot of people told me the tranny's are weak but then i thought to myself isnt that most cars? and ive read reviews about some weird rattling in the car and yeah
    im still going to get it haha
    probally a used 01-03 from a subaru dealership

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Registered User 3rdeyevisual209's Avatar
    get an 06! welcome to the club
    18g'd power 280whp/287wtq

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    '06 Ftw!!!111!!!11111
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

ok the transmissions are somewhat weak but there are plenty of people who have not broken one. Why else would you see so many wrx's on the road.

Basically the transmission gets a little stronger with every type so 02-03 is the weakest and the 04-05 is better. If you mod alot (were talking stage 3/4 here) it will probably break. If you launch constantly and drive like an idiot it will probably break.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333

Basically the transmission gets a little stronger with every type so 02-03 is the weakest and the 04-05 is better. If you mod alot (were talking stage 3/4 here) it will probably break. If you launch constantly and drive like an idiot it will probably break.
    + 1 and welcome !
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    what is a good frequency for launching? once a week, once a month? i only plan on launching from 4500-5000 rpm's if its worth it (at the track or in a close race)... although i haven't "launched" yet...normally i start off around 3000 rpms when i practiced a few times, is that bad? i do know the one time i did it i from 3000 rpms i spun wheels and started takin off but forgot to give it alot of gas afterwards and it haulted somewhat b/c i was so concerned with the clutch during the launch, only happen once though, i know it wasn't good for my tranny
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Every time you launch could be your last. There is no good frequency, launching more often will put more stress on it. The only difference between launching once a day and once a year will be how soon it breaks. Launching at lower rpms will be less hard on it. There are some people who claim to have alot of launches and never broke anything so I guess its sort of hit or miss. However I will say if you mod alot and launch alot you will likely break something.
    FORZA FERRARI

Every time you launch could be your last. There is no good frequency, launching more often will put more stress on it. The only difference between launching once a day and once a year will be how soon it breaks. Launching at lower rpms will be less hard on it. There are some people who claim to have alot of launches and never broke anything so I guess its sort of hit or miss. However I will say if you mod alot and launch alot you will likely break something.
    but... spinning is good. if you can spin the tires then your not slamming the gears together... but i dunno... it can be debated... not to change the topic...
    07 white STi in CT

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwrxduksa
    but... spinning is good. if you can spin the tires then your not slamming the gears together... but i dunno... it can be debated... not to change the topic...
    Agreed. Although its probably still not the greatest thing if done corectly it can be ok. I don't know how good of a driver the OP is but there's no gaurantee he/she will launch it perfectly everytime and with a modded/ more powerful WRX one bad launch could be enough. There are definitely alot of people out there who have launched there WRX's and have not broken anything.

Personally I never launch my WRX in the 2 or so years I had it. However many would probably say I baby my cars excessively.
    FORZA FERRARI

Agreed. Although its probably still not the greatest thing if done corectly it can be ok. I don't know how good of a driver the OP is but there's no gaurantee he/she will launch it perfectly everytime and with a modded/ more powerful WRX one bad launch could be enough. There are definitely alot of people out there who have launched there WRX's and have not broken anything.

Personally I never launch my WRX in the 2 or so years I had it. However many would probably say I baby my cars excessively.

+1,000. 1 bad launch could be the end of my tranny. i am also refraining from launchin hard until i get either enough cash to pay for an sti swap or enough credit to do that... hopefully i wont need some for sometime, or atleast until i know have learned how to rebuild one... because i am goin to uti for cars.
    07 white STi in CT

haha thanks for the advice
    i'll probally get an 03 but i wont be moding anytime soon
    im not that much into the racing sceen but with a wrx i'll probally push it every once in awhile =D

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwrxduksa
    Sorry, but that is absolute crap.
    I've read that in quite a few places and threads and that is so wrong when you look at the physics. The stress on the drive train is created by the engine pushing against one thing, the friction of the tires on the road surface. Dynamic friction (spinning wheels) is weaker than static friction. People think that since spinning wheels are in a dynamic friction situation, that is easier on the drive train. But, in order to get to the 'dynamic' state, you have to push the force on the tire contact patch past the point of maximum static friction. The most possible stress you can put on your drive train is the instant before the tires start to slip. So, every time you actually break all four wheels loose, you have just subjected your drive train to the maximum possible stress.

Stress (how hard you're pushing on something) begets strain (actual deformation of the parts). Strain things far enough and they will fail.

Maybe the reason people think Sooby transmissions are fragile is because they think it is a good idea to repeatedly subject the drive train to the maximum possible stress. That is the definition of abuse.

IMHO
    Last edited by goBoating; 10-17-2006 at 07:44 AM. Reason: incorrect word used
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.