Uppipe question for a noob
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Uppipe question for a noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all..great site! I just picked up an '03 WRX wagon. Car is stock, except for a SPT cat back, ...

Arrow Uppipe question for a noob

Hey all..great site!

I just picked up an '03 WRX wagon.

Car is stock, except for a SPT cat back, and subaru short shifter.

I was thinking of adding an uppipe. It seems like the STI OEM is the best, cleanest option. If I get one of these...what do I do with the EGT?

Aftermarket ones seem to come with a EGT fooler...or something?

Also...do you just pick up the OEM STI uppipe from the dealer? Are all years compatible with my '03?

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cheaper option is get an wrx oem used and gut it or find one already gutted and plug the egt with a screw and reinstall cost about $50 if you gut yourself (what I did)
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Do you just leave the EGT sensor unplugged?

Doesn't that throw a CEL?

Later,
    Patrick

If you decide to use a gutted stock WRX uppipe or an aftermarket uppipe with an EGT bung, simply plug the bung hole with a bolt. In either case, whether it's an STI uppipe or gutted WRX / aftermarket pipe, you're going to want to disconnect the EGT sensor. Follow the wire running from the EGT sensor until you come to a wiring harness connector where you can disconnect the sensor. Stick a 1/2-watt 2.2k ohm resistor (available at RadioShack for about $1) into the wiring harness connector where the EGT sensor was previously connected. The resistor will keep you from receiving any uppipe-related CELs.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseybacon
    If you decide to use a gutted stock WRX uppipe or an aftermarket uppipe with an EGT bung, simply plug the bung hole with a bolt. In either case, whether it's an STI uppipe or gutted WRX / aftermarket pipe, you're going to want to disconnect the EGT sensor. Follow the wire running from the EGT sensor until you come to a wiring harness connector where you can disconnect the sensor. Stick a 1/2-watt 2.2k ohm resistor (available at RadioShack for about $1) into the wiring harness connector where the EGT sensor was previously connected. The resistor will keep you from receiving any uppipe-related CELs.
    AH....

Does anyone make a nice, plug in "fooler"?

Later,
    Patrick

+1.

Cheapest and easiest way to go about it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by pweizman
    AH....

Does anyone make a nice, plug in "fooler"?

Later,
    Patrick
    didn't you read? He said it was called a 2-watt 2.2k ohm resistor. (available at RadioShack for about $1) what more do you need. it plugs right in to the same spot, and is FAR cheaper than buying an "EGT Simulator" online for $15.00+S&H. Plus the "simulators" don't exactly have a clean record. Lots of people with bad ones.
    -Robert R.
    Touge Speed...

oh SNAP son!

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Spool
    didn't you read? He said it was called a 2-watt 2.2k ohm resistor. (available at RadioShack for about $1) what more do you need. it plugs right in to the same spot, and is FAR cheaper than buying an "EGT Simulator" online for $15.00+S&H. Plus the "simulators" don't exactly have a clean record. Lots of people with bad ones.
    I did read. Specifically what I wondered was if there was a very clean way to do it.

I know shoving a resistor into the plug will work, but long term...will it fall out, will I have to tape it up...etc....

Maybe the best route is to hack the plug off the EGT sensor itself, and solder in the resistor?

Just doing some bench research...no disrespect intended...

Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

i would avoid cutting connectors you never know you might need to go stock again, but some people use like silicone caulking and just cake the resistor and plug so no water gets in there
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I did read. Specifically what I wondered was if there was a very clean way to do it.

I know shoving a resistor into the plug will work, but long term...will it fall out, will I have to tape it up...etc....

Maybe the best route is to hack the plug off the EGT sensor itself, and solder in the resistor?

Patrick

Honestly, it's not rocket science. How much cleaner do you want?!?

Thanks Man...my bad.

Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

Patrick

I watched my tuner put the resistor in and then put some heat resistant electrical tape around it so it wouldn't fall out. It definately doesn't look "dirty".
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Honestly, it's not rocket science. How much cleaner do you want?!?

is the same thing for the STi ?

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911
    is the same thing for the STi ?

As far as I know, but the STi doesn't have a cat in the up-pipe, so you don't need to gut/replace the up-pipe.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckTheBruce
    As far as I know, but the STi doesn't have a cat in the up-pipe, so you don't need to gut/replace the up-pipe.

Correct. All STIs come with catless uppipes, thus it is pointless to install a new uppipe or perform a resisitor mod. The only time an uppipe upgrade is necessary on the STI is when a very large turbo is involved that needs an increased pipe diameter and/or you are making a switch to a twinscroll turbo and/or external wastegate setup. The vast majority of the time, the stock uppipe is more than adequate for the power levels that the typical STI owner will be running at.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.