new to wrx

This is a discussion on new to wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i'm about to pick up a '04 rex with 20kmiles on it. i'm not new to forced induction (turbo) it's ...

new to wrx

i'm about to pick up a '04 rex with 20kmiles on it. i'm not new to forced induction (turbo) it's mainly what i've allways owned and been around. but i am new to the subaru platform, i've done some searching, maybe not much, since it's all cluttered with to much stuff. sorry about starting a new thread but this wrx comes with catbac exhaust and i'm going to do the catless up and hiflow cat dp so it will have 1 cat left on the exhaust. now with this free flowing exhaust. do i need to flash the ecu or whatever you guys do to the engine management? just for exhaust? i'm not experienced with engine management so i was wondering how all these flashes/maps/etc work. or can i get by without doing anything to the ecu if i work on the exhaust system for now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club!

You will be fine without any sort of engine management since you are on a 2.0 liter, the 2.5's can have boost creep issues, you won't see much noticable gain without engine management though, when you get an EM you will notice some good gains with those mods

Lee
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

thanks buddy, i want to learn about EM before i mess with it. i read up on the COBB AP and i can download maps and use them but the maps they offer, for example, i didn't notice any maps for 92 octane, here in wa all i've used is 92 octance and havn't seen any 91 or 93. where can i learn about EM? or how this AP works? heh sorries

the 92 octane maps are just the same as the 91 octane maps it says so here
    (http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/access...2091%20oct.txt)

For use with a stock turbo, stock injectors, stock intake and a TURBOBACK
    exhaust system. Additional modifications such as uppipe and underdrive pulley
    are still within the acceptable parameters of this mapping. MUST USE FACTORY
    INTAKE. NO AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS MAPPING.
    Best if used with 91 and 92 octane. If any knock is present even when using 91
    octane, try using the California specific map which addresses lower fuel quality
    situations.
    Target boost pressure is 15.8psi +/- 0.5psi depending on vehicle and conditions.
    If after 1-2 weeks worth of driving you are still unable to reach target boost
    pressures, you may try using the HWG version of this map.
    Target A/F Ratios are mid 12's under load before the onset of boost. Under full
    load by 3500 RPM the A/F Ratio will drop to mid 11:1 and gradually run richer as
    RPM's increase ending at mid to high 10:1 A/F at redline.
    The "Speed Limiter", which in reality just turns off boost control above 130mph,
    is removed.
    The Rev limiter at 7250 RPM.

i haven't picked one up yet, but my good friend got one and he's very pleased with it. he also said he is getting custom maps made and loaded onto it.

if you didn't find this, the site is
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/20index.html

it's got a k&n drop in, so the intake is stock. anyways this map raises boost or is it because of larger/free flowing exhaust piping?

i'll look into the new AP and most likely buy it after i pick up the car in a week. i'll have to read up on how to upload these maps on the AP. i'm sure it comes with instructions though right? then plug this thing in and select the map from its inventory? does it have to stay plugged in at all times?
    sorry for the questions that are prolly already answered somewhere else... but thanks

i like this community already

another question, a buddy told me to go for the 02 wrx because of a bigger turbo than newer years. is there a difference in turbos on the wrx's?

welcome !

Welcome!!!
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

Quote Originally Posted by eternium
    another question, a buddy told me to go for the 02 wrx because of a bigger turbo than newer years. is there a difference in turbos on the wrx's?
    yes there is , search tranny strength between 02 vs 04

no that map actually raises the boost for the car(changes the settings for the wastegate if i'm not mistaken)
    i'll have to read up on how to upload these maps on the AP. i'm sure it comes with instructions though right? then plug this thing in and select the map from its inventory? does it have to stay plugged in at all times?
    it comes with a manual you plug it in (along with a cauple more steps) follow instructions on the unit and thats it
    and no you don't need to keep it pluged in all the time
    Last edited by 20wrx021984; 10-13-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
    yes there is , search tranny strength between 02 vs 04
    AFAIK the turbo is the same - but yes, the tranny is stronger with the 04 since they switched to the RA gear width.

Some people make alot of power on the stock tranny without issues, others aren't so lucky. I think it's a bit of luck in what you get and a bit of care with how you drive it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals