whats up

This is a discussion on whats up within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone.. my name is Jake. I'm 19 and for the past two years I've been riding sportbikes and using ...

whats up

hey everyone.. my name is Jake. I'm 19 and for the past two years I've been riding sportbikes and using a beater car to get around when there's snow on the ground, but unfortunately a month ago a 17 yr old girl turned left right in front of me and I shattered both bones in my right forearm.. so I won't be riding again at least until next season. anyway I'll be getting money from her insurance company soon and was thinkin about getting an Sti. I'm from new jersey and was just wondering if there's anything specific to watch out for when looking at wrx's and maybe what i can expect to pay for one with low miles.. i'm checkin out that cars101 site now as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident.

As for WRXes in NJ, the only thing I have to say is watch out and don't let yours get stolen! But that's pretty much all I know about NJ. That and there's some boys there with wierd hair and psuedo-italian names.

You mentioned both an STi and WRX in your post, so what exactly are you looking for? And how much are you looking to spend? And will you still be able to drive stick with your arm like that?
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    and welcome to The Club!!!!

Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident.

As for WRXes in NJ, the only thing I have to say is watch out and don't let yours get stolen! But that's pretty much all I know about NJ. That and there's some boys there with wierd hair and psuedo-italian names.

You mentioned both an STi and WRX in your post, so what exactly are you looking for? And how much are you looking to spend? And will you still be able to drive stick with your arm like that?
    thanks!

My arm is healing quite fast and I have almost all of my motion back, just no strength yet (I got the package deal - 2 plates and 13 screws) because even though new bone is growing the plates are still the main thing that is holding my bone together. So I can shift, I just can't ride because there's more weight on your wrist.. plus if I went down again before it completely heals it would seriously **** up my arm.

As of right now I have $10k in the bank and the pain and suffering claim I have with the ins company is not closed yet so I will be getting more money from them..the only thing is I'm not exactly sure how much but I should I'm hoping I'll have at least 18-20k when I start lookin for a car.

All Wheel Drive, Goooooooooood
    .......... two cents below _______________
    02 WRX/ owner since I could dream.
    WFC The 3rd III cobbcobbcobbcobbcobbcobb
    (((((((((((((((( NOW STAGE2 ))))))))))))))))
    _______________________________.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Well $18-20k is definitely a good range! I don't think you'll be able to get an STi for that lower (well maybe one with 100k miles), but you can definitely get an '02-'05 with decent miles. Cars.com and Autotrader are definitely good places to start and will give you the average of what you're going to be able to get. Just try to get a stock one if you can because buying a modded one can bring up issues if you're not mechanically familiar with WRXes, and not to mention increases the chances that the car was abused. I'd recommend also checking out the 'Car Purchasing' Forum on this site, as it contains tons of useful info!

P.S. Definitely figure in the price of insurance into the cost of the car! Insurance rates tend to be a bit high for our subies!

Good luck and happy healing!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Where from NJ are you from and what kind of bike do you ride?
    2006 WRX TR

From where in NJ? If ya live in North Jersey... get a good alarm WRXs and STis move like hot cakes lol.
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

Sorry about your accident and glad that you are getting better. Although a paramedic friend of mine does refer to bikes as "job security." On a serious note, you should never ever settle any insurance claim for anything less than 3X your actual damages. Typically you should try for 4X damages. Insurance companies will try to low ball you everytime, especially if you do not have an attorney. If you have not, talk to friends and family and find an attorney. It does not cost you a dime to initially speak to an attorney. Although they can take a large percentage, the attorney can get a much much larger settlement. You sound like you were in a serious accident and have had significant medical bills. Do not be in a hurry to settle.

I actually do live in northern NJ.. so I guess I better make sure to get theft coverage on my insurance huh? lol..
    Bboy AJ: I'm in passaic county. My '03 600RR was totalled in the accident so next year I'm gonna get either an '06 or '07 RR. I'm not sure if I like the look of the 07s.. now they look just like an R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelperMonkey
    Sorry about your accident and glad that you are getting better. Although a paramedic friend of mine does refer to bikes as "job security." On a serious note, you should never ever settle any insurance claim for anything less than 3X your actual damages. Typically you should try for 4X damages. Insurance companies will try to low ball you everytime, especially if you do not have an attorney. If you have not, talk to friends and family and find an attorney. It does not cost you a dime to initially speak to an attorney. Although they can take a large percentage, the attorney can get a much much larger settlement. You sound like you were in a serious accident and have had significant medical bills. Do not be in a hurry to settle.
    I actually do have a lawyer (a guy I ride with is a criminal defense lawyer so he referred me to a personal injury lawyer), so yea I figured it would be better to retain an attorney. My hospital bill was over 30 grand plus a bunch of other charges.. that's a significant bill to me!

Well now I'm thinking of checking out some used dealers or somethin now, use the 10gs as a down payment and then just make payments on it since I'm finally going back to work. I don't wanna wait till I get teh pain and suffering claim closed.. who knows how long that will take. It'll be at least until I'm fully healed which won't be for months. Or would it be smarter just to wait and give a larger down payment then just make some small monthly payments to improve my credit?