Got an '04... Got questions... Thanks folks!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got an '04... Got questions... Thanks folks! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Howdy there.. I just picked up a Blue 2004 WRX 5 speed for a great deal... they gave me 4500 ...

Got an '04... Got questions... Thanks folks!

Howdy there.. I just picked up a Blue 2004 WRX 5 speed for a great deal... they gave me 4500 dollars in trade in value for a messed up 99 new beetle..

The car came with gunmetal motegi rims, STI exhaust "well the muffler has STi stamped into it" a Blitz blow off valve boost gauge, and a AEM short ram intake.

I gotta few questions..

Everything I have read seems to say that the intake and blow off valve arent such a good idea... any ideas?

Also the car has heated seats and a power moonroof.... is there any way of telling what else there might be on the car? like special hidden stuff that I havent found yet?

I'll have some more pictures up tomorrow... its dark outside

I am SOooo Stoked about this car... It truly is my dream car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

congrats on the purchase and welcome now take that blow off valve off. it causes the car to run rich between shifts and really slows you down.
    07 white STi in CT

I LOVE the sound of the BOV..but I really think it is going to cause me some serious problems..it also feels like I am getting some boost creep when I'm on the highway.. and then when it does relieve pressure sometimes it sounds a little funny.. I dont know..ive never had a turbo car..

yea the BOV wont help you any.get rid of those wheels also. Motegi is known for having some pretty heavy wheels.
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

hey i dont know how heavy the wheels are but man sell the bov and the intake and put the money into some lowering springs !

BOV, it's already on there and you like it so keep it. "But it causes you to run rich..." Rich = safe. meh.

I would however ditch that AEM intake. Many known problems with AEM intakes.

I hope you talked them down from that $19,995 number.

Congrats.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I didnt really talk 'em down much... I got it for 19,500.. but my trade in was only worth two grand max...so I figure it worked out pretty well..and the scoob only had 16k miles on it..

IMHO this is the best car in the world for the price.. I cant think of anything I'd rather drive..

..well maybe..but they arent available in the states....

So if I ditch the intake..what should I replace it with?

I think I'll keep the motegi's.. Unless I can find a screamin' deal on some volks or HRE's... The car has PLENTY of performance for me right now.. but ask me again in a couple of months and I'm sure I'll tell ya different.. Thanks so much for the welcome... Suby folks are good folks.
    Last edited by b foxy; 10-03-2006 at 11:37 PM.

try and find the stock air box and hopefully youll get tired of that bov and ditch it for the stocker as well.
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

I Support ClubWRX
    What's the red stuff all over the front? If it was my car it would be finding it's way back to stock. Sounds like you have a cold weather package on your wrx you probaly have heated seats, heated mirriors, and a few other tid bits.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

so you're the one who bough it

it took them awhile to sell that damn thing

we should do a photoshoot sometime
    Last edited by $lick Rick; 10-04-2006 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    BOV, it's already on there and you like it so keep it. "But it causes you to run rich..." Rich = safe. meh.

I would however ditch that AEM intake. Many known problems with AEM intakes.

I hope you talked them down from that $19,995 number.

Congrats.
    Rich != safe
    Rich = cylinder wash, which leads to oil consumption

Not to mention the car uses mass air which is why a BOV is a bad idea in the first place. It's a matter of the car seeing air and adding fuel accordingly.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah
    Rich != safe
    Rich = cylinder wash, which leads to oil consumption

Not to mention the car uses mass air which is why a BOV is a bad idea in the first place. It's a matter of the car seeing air and adding fuel accordingly.
    Yes, it is much less than ideal. For the few moments that the vehicle is shifting and not under load, I don't see how it poses much of a problem. I still have the stocker in, and I wouldn't recommend that anyone purchase a BOV. If it is already on the car and it is at least safe, what's the problem?

Please post info to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by b foxy
    So if I ditch the intake..what should I replace it with?
    I would either try to find some stock parts, or for about the same money you might be able to snag an SPT intake. A few members here have made the purchase and liked the results.

^^^ +1 on SPT intake. Since you don't have the stock air box, you might as well.

Dump the BOV just as everyone mentioned. In terms of "special hidden" stuff, there's not much to it, but what you see is what you get. Enjoy your car!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

The SPT intake seems like the favorite around here if you've got the stock ECU, from what I've gathered.
    '06 WRB WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.