My new '02 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My new '02 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I just bought my first car and thought it'd be smart to get some input/educated on the 2002 ...

My new '02 WRX

Hey all, I just bought my first car and thought it'd be smart to get some input/educated on the 2002 Subaru WRX. We're buying it used from a friend of ours, and I'm hoping to give it some "upgrades" (if you will, I'm new to this whole thing as you can tell) - including exhaust, sound system, a blowoff valve, and possibly tinting... I'm almost 17, but I have worked for a couple months now - earning almost 1,500 - 2,000 (hopefully this gives readers/critics an idea of what I can spend). I don't know much about cars, other than the basics - if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I'm open and would love to hear any constructive criticism/advice you may have - as I'm sure there is lots I need to learn...But anyways, here's a bit of background info / picture:

2002 Subaru WRX including... 83K miles (mostly freeway miles, w/frequent oil changes), Brand new V-rated all season tires. Overall, it's in great shape and we ran it by a trustable source/checkup source and nothing is wrong with it at all.

I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks again everyone. And hopefully I'll be hearing more from you. If you have any questions or comments, please AIM me at r1c3bo1z4l1f3 or email me at mowseyy@yahoo.com

- Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm in the exact same position you are.. I'm buying an 02 Rex wagon from a friend of mine in the next couple of days... No matter how much I read I still have a million questions.. Mine will have about 65,000 miles, turbo back exhaust, Turbo timer, and other small upgrades... it also has a Blitz BOV..Im not sure if thats a good thing or not..but it was driven well and the clutch engages Soo nicely.. I drove it with him and I can honestly say it scared me..

Nice find!

BTW.. how much did you pay? You can tell me in PM if you dont mind...

B Foxy

Me 02 too. Thats BUG-EYE baby!! Get some bigger shots up of it. Is it clean? Has it had bolt-ons on it or any performance mods?
    .......... two cents below _______________
    02 WRX/ owner since I could dream.
    WFC The 3rd III cobbcobbcobbcobbcobbcobb
    (((((((((((((((( NOW STAGE2 ))))))))))))))))
    _______________________________.

Nice car. The sideskirts are painted already so that's a plus. It also looks lowered..do you know what kind of springs are on there? it looks good at that ride height. How does the transmission shift? The 02s have "fragile" transmissions..meaning that if you abuse it (launch it often, speed shift, etc.) it will likely break before it should. Keep this in mind when modding. My '02 tranny is running perfectly at 44k mi. and I give the car a spirited drive fairly often, and it has only been launched a few times in its life.

-Forget the BOV
    -Start with Up-pipe, and Turbo-back or cat-back exhaust, or Cobb Accessport.

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DTwrx
    Nice car. The sideskirts are painted already so that's a plus. It also looks lowered..do you know what kind of springs are on there? it looks good at that ride height. How does the transmission shift? The 02s have "fragile" transmissions..meaning that if you abuse it (launch it often, speed shift, etc.) it will likely break before it should. Keep this in mind when modding. My '02 tranny is running perfectly at 44k mi. and I give the car a spirited drive fairly often, and it has only been launched a few times in its life.

-Forget the BOV
    -Start with Up-pipe, and Turbo-back or cat-back exhaust, or Cobb Accessport.

Welcome.
    ++ 2

From prior experience of owning an 03 wrx and now having an 06... stay away from BOVs and cold air intakes... they usually hurt our cars instead of help them. Start with the the up-pipe down pipe combo and a catback (downpipe + catback = turbo back exhaust)... then get an accessport from Cobb and reflash that ecu...

If you still want more power... think about upgrading the turbo but don't forget to switch the injectors and fuel pump... but trust me... stay away from the bov and cai... I know they sound awesome... thats why I did it... but its not worth it... it will run like crap!!

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the club man!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

If you get to Stage2 on a FULL exhuast and or UPgrade your TURBO and such then you will be fine getting a BOV/Intake. For intakes go with the COBB SF or the SPT intake, thats if you rely must have one
    .......... two cents below _______________
    02 WRX/ owner since I could dream.
    WFC The 3rd III cobbcobbcobbcobbcobbcobb
    (((((((((((((((( NOW STAGE2 ))))))))))))))))
    _______________________________.

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Here's some tasty reading material for you to devour:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by WRXgotit
    If you get to Stage2 on a FULL exhuast and or UPgrade your TURBO and such then you will be fine getting a BOV/Intake. For intakes go with the COBB SF or the SPT intake, thats if you rely must have one

::scratches head:: - Who said that a BOV is fine with a TBE Stage 2 or Stage 2.5/IV?

+1 on the Cobb SF intake - it's the only one I would consider buying - and I'm thinking about it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by b foxy

BTW.. how much did you pay? You can tell me in PM if you dont mind...

B Foxy
    For both of you - I bought my 2002 WRX 5speed last year from a Dealer for $14,900 with 32,000 miles on it. Bone stock. Look up values, and shop around - plenty of these cars around - don't over pay. Your first mod should be a Cobb AP(flash to stage 1), followed by an uppipe, then a downpipe and optionally a catback(flash to stage 2).

If you want it to last, do not shift hard - go easy - plenty of power available - use it in gear, not in between. Rev matching is very rewarding. Oh, and the Cobb flashes will actually improve your mileage along with performance. Welcome to the bugeye club!
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quick Hijack:

Quote Originally Posted by Micah
    For both of you - I bought my 2002 WRX 5speed last year from a Dealer for $14,900 with 32,000 miles on it. Bone stock. Look up values, and shop around - plenty of these cars around - don't over pay.
    Dayum, you got a steal!!!! It's difficult to find a stock bugeye...extremely difficult to find one with under 45k, and for that price! Nice find!

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and insight - I really appreciate it. As far as the lowering goes, the owner said it had been lowered about 1-2 inches; however, I don't think there was anything done to the springs. But, once again, I have really no clue what I'm talking about - this is all new to me, sorry. But to answer the pricing question...it was 13k.

Basically, what I'm looking for is an exhaust system that will sound and look good - once again, I'm only 17 and I don't know much about cars (this is a slow process for me). If any of you could give me a few resources/sites to look around I'd love it, otherwise, just names of products are fine. I've been looking on Greddy's website and trying to learn as much as I can. It sounds like it wouldn't be a good idea to get a BOV - although, I would really like one.

As for a sound system, are there any recommendations? I've been looking at Pioneer, Alpine, etc - but should I get it offline or at a retailer (like Best Buy).

I apologize for any frustration my lack of car knowledge may bring to some of you, but I would appreciate any help - and I can't thank you any more for the great, warm welcome you all have given me.

- Chris

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by us_futbol
    If any of you could give me a few resources/sites to look around I'd love it, otherwise, just names of products are fine.
    Yeah if only someone would help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette in Post #7 of this thread
    and welcome to The Club!!!!

Here's some tasty reading material for you to devour:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

hey whats up dude i am also 17 and i reciently got my 03 wrx. welcome to the club

I am also new here, but have read quite-a-bit from this forum.

I was also looking for the "first mods", and the thread that Speedette will honestly help you out...A lot!

My first mod will be the COBB AP. It shows the GREATEST gains for the money, and it can do other great things www.cobbtuning.com. It's always a good idea to take care of your car, so a Turbo Timer is a great upgrade. It lets the car idle for XX amount of seconds while you are locking it, and walking to your destination. From my understanding it lets the oil cool the turbo, and other components, thus prolonging turbo/motor life.

A Turbo back exhaust (TBE) is another great upgrade. Exhaust piping that connects to the turbo, and exits at the rear of the car, therefore called, turbo back exhaust. With this upgrade you can then run the Cobb stage 2 which shows HP gains of ~55hp, and ~50tq. That is the best money spent. There is also another piece called the up-pipe, but in all honestly. I am not sure of the gains, or benefits of this mod. I see many people have it, so it is proving to be somewhat of a good upgrade.

Your BOV idea is a bad one, unless you get one that is putting the air back in the intercooler piping. WRX's have MAF systems (Mass Air Flow), where other cars (Hondas) have a MAP system (Manifold absolute pressure). A MAF system will run very rich between shifts with an atmospheric (sp) BOV (i.e.: HKS SSQ, BLITZ, ect). Stick with the stock. Don't fall into the teenage trend with this car. Mod cheep, Mod twice, so save your money, do research, and enjoy driving the car. Better your self as a driver, attend some autocross, maybe a track day (if able to), run the car at the drag strip, not on the street.

Sorry for the novel, but I am board at work

Quote Originally Posted by us_futbol
    Thank you all for the very warm welcome and insight - I really appreciate it. As far as the lowering goes, the owner said it had been lowered about 1-2 inches; however, I don't think there was anything done to the springs.
    If it wasn't lowered using new springs, how was it lowered? I would ask the previous owner. Also, lowering any car with *just* springs isn't optimal, you really should get a set of shocks/struts, (or coilovers) to match.

+1 on ditching the BOV (or "Show-off valve"). If you want go, thats not the way. Pipes and EM will give you the gains you seek.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.