Need help deciding
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need help deciding within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I work at a Subaru dealership (Fitzgerald) as a detailier. So today someone traded in a 02 bugeye WRX. I ...

Exclamation Need help deciding

I work at a Subaru dealership (Fitzgerald) as a detailier. So today someone traded in a 02 bugeye WRX. I have been wanting to get one for some time now, but since I'm still a student its kind of hard, money wise. The car has 103k miles but is very clean, I barely had to detail anything except for a nice buffing. The car has already passed inspection and has a brand new windsheid. Now the price for an employee is around $9500. I know its a decent deal and if I sell my other vehicle there should only be a couple thousand dollar difference. So should I go ahead and take this deal or is the mileage too and high and wait for another trade in? BTW, I only have a couple days to make a decision before the car goes.
    Last edited by RallyRacer; 09-30-2006 at 01:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was in the same situation a year ago. It's obvious what I chose to do, however the car i bought had less than half those miles. 100k is a lot for a car that is performance oriented. I mean you work at a dealership, you should know why people buy the wrx over the rs...and it's not because of the cool momo steering wheel. Either save up more money to buy a car that will last you or wait till you graduate school and buy a limited sti lol.
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

I know its a lot of miles but if anything went wrong I am in the best positon to get it fixed. I get about 50 percent off on parts and my friends (Subaru Techs) back in high school that work at the dealership said that they would help me out if something happen to go wrong. I am also not a noob when it comes to basic mechanics. The miles might be high, but if worst came to worst, I am in a pretty damn good situation.

go with your gutt feeling on the car !

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911
    +1
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911
    +1 However, my concern would be how "tired" the motor is with over 100k. Since you have access, I would recommend you get a compression check on the motor (if one has not been done). Also, I assume that since the car passed inspection, the techs did not find any sign that the car was modded.

what I would do if I were you (but I'm not, so it's just advice really) is buy the car. I mean, that is a pretty good price for a wrx in general but the 100k miles is the only concern. What I would do is get the car and immediately start saving up for an STi shortblock. Drive the car normally and it should at the minimum get you to over 120k miles (i really think the engine is capable of this, they are pretty stout engines) - that should give you plenty of time to save up for a new shortblock. When the motor does die (or if it does, you never know how long it could run) you have the money for a shortblock right away...

And nothing is sexier than a bugeye STi... other than maybe a GC STi

This is personally what I would do - subarus are realiable cars, i dont think they would blow up at 100k miles because of being too tired.
    2000 SRP 2.5RS - Cobb CAI, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, Borla Headers - Up next: Screw N/A, going swap...EJ207/K/G! (Whatever I can get my hands on...)

If you are are cool with the techs over there I say 1. Run a compression test , and 2. Have one of them thoroughly check everything for you and ask their opinion. You know they wont bull**** you especially if your cool with them. The miles do seem a lil high but you can always check the carfax and see how many owners, any accident history. You actually have the best position to buy the car because you work their and you can get advice from an unbiased tech. good luck with everything
    New England F4

Turbo XS Bov FS/Trade (HKS sequential)

They guy that traded in the WRX was an older person, I'd say mid 50s. He was the only one that owned the car and bought a brand new WRX. The car was never modded. I probably will mod but nothing major, maybe AP later on.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyRacer
    I know its a lot of miles but if anything went wrong I am in the best positon to get it fixed. I get about 50 percent off on parts and my friends (Subaru Techs) back in high school that work at the dealership said that they would help me out if something happen to go wrong. I am also not a noob when it comes to basic mechanics. The miles might be high, but if worst came to worst, I am in a pretty damn good situation.
    Get it, it's a win win situation. Even if the motor goes belly up (not likely considering Subarus reputation) you could put a brand new motor in it for much cheaper than it would cost someone not in your situation. If that ended up being the case you could go with a 2.5L and really have a sleeper Bugeye!

Just me opinion though and you know what they say about opinions,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by RallyRacer
    They guy that traded in the WRX was an older person, I'd say mid 50s. He was the only one that owned the car and bought a brand new WRX. The car was never modded. I probably will mod but nothing major, maybe AP later on.
    You didn't metion that in the post. That's the best case senario...1 owner, and md driven (no hills). I'd say since you know for sure it's never been modded and you have all the hookups to get if fixed if need be, then you already answered your own question...go for it!
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

since you have access to the techs and good deal on parts what is holding you back? If it breaks they can fix it.
    97 Ninja 600r sold
    99 integra gsr sold
    02 pathfinder sold
    01 YamFZR 600 sold
    04 WRX Sold
    2011 WRX DGM
    Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

100k is alot of miles for a performance oriented car whether you work for a dealership or not. What if you got let go from the dealership? You would be SOL on the repairs.. I would wait for a new or newer WRX..

I think if you're patient you can get a much lower miled WRX of that year for not all that much more. I just traded in my '02 with only 41k on it, and the dealer gave me $12,500 for it. I'd think you could get it for close to that price. To me you'd be much better off for a few more thousand getting one that had much fewer miles on it.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

with that many miles i dont think i would go that route but hey...thats just me......when i bought mine almost a year ago i watied a few months until i found the best car for the best deal....and it payed off....i ended up snagging a 2002 wrx with under 18,000 miles for a little over 11,000 bucks.....just a matter of time and place....i wouldnt just buy it because its there...... just my .02 cents
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.