Just got '06 wrx wagon - wow!! What octane? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just got '06 wrx wagon - wow!! What octane? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by drummerboy I'd have to disagree on this one. Higher octane fuel is not more resitant to burning, ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    I'd have to disagree on this one. Higher octane fuel is not more resitant to burning, actually it burns even better, more efficiently, completely and smoothly leading to a more energetic burn. What a lot of people mistake as "resistance to burn" is acutally its tendency to burn predictably which is why higher octane prevents knock. All the cars I've seen that consistently use higher octane see some kind of increase in mileage: my brother's Protege5, my dad's Pontiac G6, even his old '89 Tempo.

Oh, and welcome to the club! 91 is fine for the WRX... that's what's recommended... 93 won't hurt either.
    I think you are both right. It is basically a steady-state argument, wherein an infinitely slow burn would wield the maximum effiency or total energy. However, it depends entirely on the way the car is tuned, or is capable of tuning itself. As mentioned, the timing can be advanced further to completely burn the higher octane fuel without detonation. However, I have heard of incomplete burning of higher octane in cars that cannot advance timing. So it all depends on the car - it has to have the ability to learn to maximize the fuel or to be tuned for it.

To the OP, I have driven 1.5 years on the 91 and 1.5 years on the 93. The 93 is noticably better for our cars. I would cringe to think I had to put in 91 again. I like my advance ignition multiplier where it is, and l like life without any pinging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Too bad the gas here isn't like Europe, they have 98 octane
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

Good read... it does explain a little more a bout the relationship between octane and power. However, it seems to me tha the article can be a little confusing. You did point out where it said that just because the octane is higher, it doesn't mean you'll get more power or better mileage, but it also says
    The misunderstanding is caused by confusing the ability of the fuel to resist compression detonation (pre-ignition = engine knock) as opposed to the ability of the fuel to burn (combustion). However, premium grades of petrol often contain more energy per litre due to the composition of the fuel as well as increased octane.
    They go on to explain that alcohol fuels don't usually follow the higher octane = more power rule. But the article does say in the above quote that premium grades of gasoline have more power per litre. I undertand that AFRs and compression are also key players in it, but in the end, it still reinfornces that premium gasoline gets more power while higher octane alcohol fuels might not. Honestly, people should take their NA cars and run a few successive tanks of premium and see for themselves.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 09-28-2006 at 05:14 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.