Buying Tools
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buying Tools within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings and Salutations. I'm getting a new STI and I thought I'd start learning how to work on my car. ...

Vez

Buying Tools

Greetings and Salutations.

I'm getting a new STI and I thought I'd start learning how to work on my car. Up until now, I know how to put gas in and my knowledge base ends there (sad, I know). I know some people say they don't know about cars, but I really mean it. :P

So, I put some money on the side to buy some tools. Assume I don't even own a set of real socket wrenches. Can you please suggest what kind of tools to start buying? I don't plan on doing any serious work on the car for a little while, but I thought I'd start building a collection for the future since I know tools are quite expensive. I seem to hear about tuning computers(?) and the like. In addition to new tools, what other accessory-type things like this should eventually be purchased?

Thanks.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

go look at the tutorial for puttin on a cbe/dp/up it is really well written and a great place to start modding your car. there is no point in buying any tools if you dont plan on using them so plan out what mods you will do and then buy tools based on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    *goes outside to look for chipmunk lodged in downpipe*
    god invented turbolag to give v-8s a chance

Start off by going to the official Subaru Techinical site and buy a 72-hour subscription to download the service manual for your subie. People will tell you to get one off e-bay, but hey, go legit... its only $35, plus you're sure to get your car's service manual.

Then, a set of sockets is a good start... both imperial and metric. I'd also get a decent torque wrench so you don't over-tighten things.

Get a good jack and stands and you're set. have fun!
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I suggest buying Craftsman tools from Sears. You'll pay a little more than other brands, but they're guaranteed for life. No questions asked. It's nice knowing you wont ever get hasseled taking something back. I have a small set that pretty much helps cover basic tune ups & aftermarket mods. You shouldn't have to pay more than $200 for a real good set. I also have a small $50 set in my car for emergencies.
    Last edited by 20WRX04; 09-25-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

bleh,

Just go pick yourself a baisic mechanics set from Sears and go from there
    - Local Riceist

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04
    I suggest buying Craftsman tools. You'll pay a little more than other brands
    Hah Im betting youve never set foot on a Snap-on/Matco/Cornwell/Mac truck
    - Local Riceist

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobVee
    Hah Im betting youve never set foot on a Snap-on/Matco/Cornwell/Mac truck
    Actually i have. I used to work in a dealership. All the techs hated waiting for stuf to get replaced by those companies cuz they never had it in stock. And us DIYers don't have the priviledge of a tool guy coming to our houses.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Vez
    Thank you. All of your suggestions are greratly appreciated.

I have already purchased (unfortunately, from eBay..$33) the mechanics manual. It also came with several tutorials and other guides, so I thought that would help. I also picked up a decent jack with stands, so I'm happy to know I'm headed in the right direction.

I'll look into those sets and check out the Craftsman...I like the idea of a lifetime warranty.

I probably should wait until I need them, but I just wanted to get a head start when I bought the car. I'll make sure not to go nuts...I hear buying tools can be an addiction.

Thanks, again.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04
    Actually i have. I used to work in a dealership. All the techs hated waiting for stuf to get replaced by those companies cuz they never had it in stock. And us DIYers don't have the priviledge of a tool guy coming to our houses.
    Thats why I would recommend Sears for any @ homers
    - Local Riceist

Quote Originally Posted by Vez
    I probably should wait until I need them
    Its always a good idea to have a baisic set of tools around bc you never know when youll need em
    - Local Riceist

on top of regular sockets make sure you have a set of deep sockets and a variety of extensions and a universal joint never hurt anyone especially for spark plugs, i would say get some air tool (I just did and I don't how I managed before) but that can get costly, also a 24" breaker bar is really helpful on stock stuck on bolts
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I Support ClubWRX
    Limerick, eh? Welcome!

Craftsman are fine for most jobs. The tutorials on this site (and other Subaru forums) will be of a great help.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

No doubt Snap on/Mac/other tool companies are great... but if you go with Craftsman and break something. Just bring it back to sears and they give you a brand new tool for free. No questions asked. It would suck to be with out a tool that you need to complete a task for a few days.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.wihatools.com/

Great stuff, but not a lot in the way of heavy duty mechanics tools. Totally unmatched for what they do make.

Edit: Just checked them out again. They have a growing amount of sockets and the like.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Vez
    I probably should wait until I need them, but I just wanted to get a head start when I bought the car. I'll make sure not to go nuts...I hear buying tools can be an addiction.

Thanks, again.
    It really is... we went from a basic socket set to pretty much everything we'd need to work on a car... have a full air compressor with ratchet and impact gun and other air tools. I think we're just missing a lift! heheh.

And bkotzman is right... get some deep sockets and universals. The universals will come in handy for those tight spots. The breaker bar is also good. The factory tends to over-torque everything and if you don't touch anything for years, those bolts and nuts can become pretty siezed... on that note, get some good anti-sieze to put on the bolts when putting everything back to make things easier later on should you need to take them apart again.... you'll always find something else to buy heheh.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 09-25-2006 at 09:55 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.