New STI owner =) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New STI owner =) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by VVVV Warranty? What warranty? Contrary to your belief not every warranty claim gets turned down. I know ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Warranty? What warranty?
    Contrary to your belief not every warranty claim gets turned down. I know you've had bad luck with it and others have also, but not everyone. So that is why my car is stock and all maintance is complete.

And even without the warranty, I still have a crapptastic 5 speed.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lol, I blew my warranty the second day I had my 2004 Mini Cooper...

GRS Top mount intercooler
    Alta 15% supercharger pulley
    Alta CAI
    Nology plug Wires
    Bilstein PSS Suspension kit
    Alta Sway Bars

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Contrary to your belief not every warranty claim gets turned down. I know you've had bad luck with it and others have also, but not everyone. So that is why my car is stock and all maintance is complete.

And even without the warranty, I still have a crapptastic 5 speed.
    I know. But just because I burnt every stealership bridge doesn't mean my car hasn't had all maintenance and then some. It's been taken care of above and beyond anything they could or would do.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Just 2 things called piss poor tranny and a warranty that is preventing me from doing it.

Piss poor tranny and craptastic 5 speed? Go buy yourself a different car then. I love my 06WRX and I don't see any issues with the shifter or shifting. If you want to get a little boost without breaking the warranty and without being concerned about ruining your trans, why not just get Subi's PowerPack? It adds approx 18hp and I'm sure would be fine for any non-hardcore's needs (like me), and will run you about $1200 installed.

Then again, theres nothing like driving an STi.

$66 per hp? Even if those hp numbers weren't inflated, that's a crazy price for what? an SPT cat back? My stromung downpipe cost $200 and added about 30 hp, that's $6 per hp. Screw the warranty and the stealership. If it really is bad enough to get dealership warranty service, you can put all the stock parts back on and take it in.

Considering Subaru is now replacing STi synchros with stronger carbon reinforced pieces when they come in with premature burnt out synchros (under warranty no less, though I haven't tried, I'm good to my synchros) I'd say they can't put out a decent tranny for the life of them. If you're really worried about your tranny, learn to drive it sympathetically. Rev matching and double clutching will spare the tranny regardless of the power level. And abusing it by forcing gears will demolish it, also regardless of the power level.

Or you could just resign yourself, like the rest of us, that eventually everything on the car will break, and it's just an opportunity to replace it with something better.

^^^^^ agreed I have an 02 with almost 70k now I launched it more times then I can remember and shift fast when I need to but I never bang gears or do horrific redline clutch dumps either. The car is at stg 2 with up-pipe for 20K, so there you have it. I am sure if I abused it by doing crazy 4 wheel burnouts it would have fallen apart long time ago. Its all in the skill of launching the car. I can rev it to about 4.5k and slip the clutch enough to let the tires squeal a little, the clutch not smoking and be gone like a bat out of hell. IF you abuse the car it will die sooner or later, yes the STI has a stronger tranny and will take more punishment but it will go bad prematurely that’s just the reality not a fantasy.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    $66 per hp? Even if those hp numbers weren't inflated, that's a crazy price for what? an SPT cat back? My stromung downpipe cost $200 and added about 30 hp, that's $6 per hp. Screw the warranty and the stealership. If it really is bad enough to get dealership warranty service, you can put all the stock parts back on and take it in.
    $66 per hp? First off you sound like you already know how to install parts yourself. I don't, and neither do I really have the time to do so with other things I'm involved with in life. +1 for you, but that price is parts + labor, not pure cost of the part as your using as an analagy to your downpipe. Additionally it doesn't void the warranty, and I wouldnt say the numbers are inflated. Its just a basic upgrade that can last a lifetime without interest in going hardcore, as Ive already stated.

Included is the SPT Performance Exhaust System (replaces the mid pipe and muffler), the SPT High Flow Air Intake System, and the SPT Heat Sheild (reduces lost power from heated intake charge, helps supply cool air to the filter element).

So in the end I may end up paying more, but regardless its better off to still have a warranty then end up in a pickle with a voided warranty, or going through all that trouble to put back every single stock part (hmmm wonder what thats going to cost you if you start modding a lot).
    06 WRX TR CGM {stock} Hawke-Eye #28
    Raysfield- "We don't get much snow, and I don't drive aggressively in the rain, so kind of irrelevant."
    .:Truth:.

Too late. I've already modded a lot, though not one mod was done before the dealership denied my warranty on a totally stock car numerous times for known problems. Catless with a UTEC. And you're right, I did do everything myself, even the UTEC tune. Though it would probably take all of an hour to bring the car back to it's stock form. As long as you aren't changing spark plugs, I'd say these cars are the easiest modern cars I've ever worked on. You can't sit in the engine bay like in some 60's cars, but there's plenty of room to work. As for how much it has cost me? $700 for a used UTEC, $200 for the downpipe, $75 for a used cat delete pipe, and probably around 8-10 hours of my time, 4-5 hours of which is tuning. So for $975 and my time (which with a 1 yr old and lots of commitments is hard to come by), I am making around 30-40 hp more (conservatively). I'd rather spend my time than my money.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRboNaDo
    Piss poor tranny and craptastic 5 speed? Go buy yourself a different car then. I love my 06WRX and I don't see any issues with the shifter or shifting. If you want to get a little boost without breaking the warranty and without being concerned about ruining your trans, why not just get Subi's PowerPack? It adds approx 18hp and I'm sure would be fine for any non-hardcore's needs (like me), and will run you about $1200 installed.

Then again, theres nothing like driving an STi.

I have no gripes with the stock power limits of the tranny. It's the piss poor 1-2 shift due to poor gear ratios, the horrible 1st gear engagement (even from a stop with a double synchro fist), the inability to get the car in reverse 8 out of 10 times, and the long throw into 5th from first (Sure a SS can fix this but why bother). Not to even get involved with the crappy flex bushings that they put into this car. The car does not engage smoothly at all 95% of the time. It's 100% stock, no launches, no aggresive downshifting, no power shifts, no nothing. Maybe I'm hostile because I learned on a GSR teg manual, but this thing does nothing to impress me. The power is fine for me that the car makes (Although I would have loved to get the FXT's 4.11 gear ratio). The tranny doesnt offer any confidence at all to the driver and is extreamly notchy.

As for your powerpak I consider that claim to be outrageous. Maybe they got those gains at the flywheel, but by no means did they get it at the wheels. The intake has had mixed reviews with some getting CEL's and rough idle from it, while others it works fine with. I'm still not convinced that a intake help these cars as there is still a tremandous amount of heat before the air even see's the motor. Besides the fact that the intake has proven itself good to 300+ hp time and time again.

The catback is one thing I may consider because I hate the stock sound of the car. You cant hear if it is running most of the time. But for the money you can get several others on the market, and any CB should not void your warranty. Anyone who cant figure out how to install a CB shouldnt be driving.

One would thing I HATE my car, that is not the case at all. I will be buying another Subaru probaly next year. It will have a 6 speed in it through. I love driving my car and I still think it's a bargain at it's price. But I refuse to be a fan boi on this not so great car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Just don't get jaded into thinking the 6 speed is the end all be all of transmissions. The 4th gear synchro issue is real, and this thing is not entirely bulletproof as some would have you believe.

Thinking that the mods on your car are all you need to be concerned about regarding warranty service is naive. Having two Subarus myself, it is easy to seem like you are a repeat offender, bringing cars in for various issues multiple times. Once you are labelled by the dealership and SOA as a customer that costs them too much or causes too much trouble, there will be nothing you can do to get warranty coverage for anything short of a recall. I do not recommend that you put your eggs all in one basket. At least wait until one of the cars is beyond warranty coverage before buying a new one. That way you only have one car to bring in for warranty service and hopefully you won't trigger the blacklisting.

Or better yet, buy something from a different company. That way your hands aren't tied if you get blacklisted by Subaru.

whoa, thanks for all the congrats guys
    looks like this thread turned into a big conversation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.