just got my 06 2.5i friday!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on just got my 06 2.5i friday!!!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well like the title says i got it friday its steel grey. and an absolute blast to drive. i want ...

Wink just got my 06 2.5i friday!!!!!!

well like the title says i got it friday its steel grey. and an absolute blast to drive. i want to build it all motor. is that worth it with a subie or not? but im looking foward to learning a bunch about the subaru lifestyle as i have been in the honda thing for the last 10 years. so be gentle.
    The replacement for displacement is technology.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new car! I hate to be the bearer of bad news though and tell you that modding a 2.5i is not really worth it to much. You can put tons of money into exhaust and intake and so on, and will have minimal gains. It is really hard to get a lot of power out of a N/A 4-cyl without adding something such as a turbo. But congrats on the transition to Subaru
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Congrats! Don't see much reason to stay NA, but if that's your bag, good luck!
    2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    You can spend a ton of money on having the heads ported, aftermarket cams, headers, intake, and you will still more then likely get spanked by many stage 2 wrx's. The n/a 2.5 just doesnt put up big power numbers for the most part. Some folks on nasioc have built N/A 2.5's but I dont remember being overly impressed with their numbers.

To be honest with you I'd work heavy on the stock suspension and go from there. If you can get the power down and hold it through the turn you can be very fast on a auto-x course but that's about it. Anything with a long straight you'll get ate up on so Road courses will almost be stupid.

It is almost always cheaper to just buy the most powerful car out of the box rather then try and built the lesser one up to it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2.5i is a very fun car stock, don't ruin it!

I'd do an intake, exhaust, and some suspension goodies and call it a day.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

If youve been following the multiple-part article in subiesport regarding the 2.5rs project, you can see that after a lot of money and engine work, they were able to make it faster than a stock '06 wrx. But it involves engine management, porting heads, basically an entire engine rebuild....so id say the money to power yield ratio isnt that great. Even so, id think that a 2.5rs that can beat a stock wrx is an acceleration monster, and the absence of turbo lag is an envious benefit.
    Last edited by lordcon; 09-29-2006 at 07:19 AM.

so could i boost it?? are there kits out there for that?? or can i just get wrx/sti stuff to do it??

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pynikal
    so could i boost it?? are there kits out there for that?? or can i just get wrx/sti stuff to do it??
    Previous 2.5 did not like boost, and I'm sure it's the same for the 06 motor. Subaru has a boost platform so i'm sure they run high C/R pistons on the N/A motor. Some folks do run boost on the N/A 2.5 but only run like 5-7 psi. The kits are expensive as your car doesnt already have the platform for the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Previous 2.5 did not like boost, and I'm sure it's the same for the 06 motor. Subaru has a boost platform so i'm sure they run high C/R pistons on the N/A motor. Some folks do run boost on the N/A 2.5 but only run like 5-7 psi. The kits are expensive as your car doesnt already have the platform for the turbo.
    so what your tring to say is that i should have gotten a wrx or an sti......

Well, drive the car for awhile and decide if you want to trade it in on a wrx or something. If you are looking to mod it is a much better platform since the turbo is already there.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if power is what your looking for then yes. The 2.5i can be a great handling car if that's what your into.

Don't get discouraged, dude! You still have an awesome car, and it's quite capable of being awesome in an Auto-X, not to mention a great daily driver . You won't be able to hit the power that WRX's do, but, don't worry.

Also, pick up a few issues of SubieSport Magazine. They've had a project car called "Zero to Hero" in there (ignore the title, your car is far from a 'Zero'), in which they are trying to get a 2.5i to take on STi's without boost. Plus, they've been doing some great suspension stuff. You'll love it!

And, I want to see pics of your car. Get to it!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're looking for power, yes.

If you're looking for a fun and reliable everyday driver what you have is perfect.

this car is a really fun and great handling car. and yes i am into the handleing aspect of it more so than the power part of it. id rather have someone eyes come out the side of there head then bury them in the head. but how do i get ahold of the "zero to hero" article. and thnks for all the positive comments. i think hedders intake and exhaust maybe intake mani if i can find one. will probably be the only "go fast" mods that it will get. the rest will be all handling stuff. ive always had slower cars in a straight line and kill you in the curves type cars. so this will be right up my alley i think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast