Turbo Is Smoking!!!!!! Need new one!!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Is Smoking!!!!!! Need new one!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i got an '02 wrx with ruffly 97,000 miles on it. I just recently noticed that smoke was coming out ...

Turbo Is Smoking!!!!!! Need new one!!!!

i got an '02 wrx with ruffly 97,000 miles on it. I just recently noticed that smoke was coming out of the hoodscoop when at a full stop. I looked under the hood and it was coming directly from the turbo. I researched and found out the it might just be a bad turbo seal or just the turbo itself burning oil. I decided to just buy a new turbo. Anyone got suggestions on what type of turbo to get. I just want something to replace the stock one. (everything in the car is stock except for the intake and exhaust). I want to replace it with something better but at the same time not have to do anything extra. Any Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll be looking at running a vf-39 or maybe a small 16. I'm pretty sure you'll need injectors at the least for those, but your stock FP might be up to the task. At the very least you'll need turbo, injectors, engine manament (cobb), and fuel pump to play it safe. Shopping around all this can be had for under a grand if you play your cards right. Stock td04's go for a few hundred used.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Heres your excuse to grab a hundred extra horsies. Sucks that happened though, sorry bout that.
    "You were flyin back there when I passed you!"

NEW ENGLANDF4

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd think you can get by without a pump for the VF34, but doubt it for the TD05-16G (but I'm unsure?).

A cheaper option is to buy another stock turbo from someone upgrading to either of the above, or someone that'd driven their car into a telephone pole. Or, get a stocker ported/polished (though given the cost and gains, it's a better buy to get a 16G all said).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

why dont you get another stock turbo ?

Is it me or is it perfectly normal for my car to have a slight smell like hot/burning oil after I run the car around town only somewhat hard for less than an hour and come home and smell it once i step out the car?

My guess is that its normal for the turbo to get hot and I'm just smelling whats natural. Or I need to give it a break-in time and just baby it for xxx many miles ?

BTW its a brand new 06 WRX.
    Last edited by CaRboNaDo; 09-27-2006 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaRboNaDo
    Is it me or is it perfectly normal for my car to have a slight smell like hot/burning oil after I run the car around town only somewhat hard for less than an hour and come home and smell it once i step out the car?

My guess is that its normal for the turbo to get hot and I'm just smelling whats natural. Or I need to give it a break-in time and just baby it for xxx many miles ?

BTW its a brand new 06 WRX.
    I had similar smells for the first 1000 miles of breakin. Since the car was not driven terribly hard during the breakin period, there were parts of the exhaust system and such that did not get all the way up to temperature until after the breakin period. Since then, nearly all smells have stopped except when I'm a little slow releasing the clutch on a quick launch.... then I get a little aroma of toasted clutch.. 'Kinda' hard to let it out slowly enough to avoid bogging and quickly enough to avoid heating to much ;-)

You may be smelling the cats. New cats always smell a bit, till they get worn in. More or less, depending on quality. Me and my dad both bought Hyundai's at the same time, and both stank for the first 1k miles or so. his new Civic, however, only smelled for about 500miles and not as bad either.
    -Robert R.
    Touge Speed...

oh SNAP son!

sweet, thnx for the replies. Car runs like a dream and engine temps never go above like 1/3 of the way, thats why I was baffled. Cant wait to find my damn camera charger and get some sweet pics up of my baby.
    06 WRX TR CGM {stock} Hawke-Eye #28
    Raysfield- "We don't get much snow, and I don't drive aggressively in the rain, so kind of irrelevant."
    .:Truth:.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.