new STI owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new STI owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Picked up a slightly used '06 STI. Silver w/silver wheels. 935 miles. k out the door. What is the break ...

new STI owner

Picked up a slightly used '06 STI. Silver w/silver wheels. 935 miles. $29k out the door.

What is the break in period recommended? I was not aware of any until I read some posts tonight so I have gotten on it a few times today. I will stay out of it for a while.

It got 27.8 mpg on the trip home from the dealer in Portland. I am in the middle of WA state.

What are the first mods that folks have been doing?

I am ordering a set of snow tires as I will need to drive it through the mountains a couple times per month. This is a driver for me, and hopefully a weekend toy.

I road raced/autoX/dragged mustangs for years and had an Omni GLH Turbo way back when.

I would like to autoX next Saturday. I should have over 2k miles by then. Good to go or not?

Any and all advise appreciated.

Rex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off, welcome to the club!! Secondly, recommended break-in period from the manufacturer is 1000 miles. I however, thank that's ridiculous. Other people on here didn't really abide by that rule either when they got their Subies new. It's all about how YOU drive though.
    2006 World Rally Blue Pearl TR Sedan.
    OEM fogs
    OEM Rear deck lid
    -much more to come-
    VAG-EYE-NA is a beautiful thing!!
    Lifes Necessities: Food,Clothing,Shelter and SUBARUS!!

Break in is 1,000 miles. You're there.

For an Auto-X try 42psi front, 38psi rear. It may not be perfect for you, but it's a good start. The factory tyres are not R compounds, but are very, very good. Tread wear rating of 140 and that stiff sidewall gives good turn in. You will be in AS.

If you plan on staying in AS the first mod is very problematic. None of the engine mods that are legal will do anything. The suspension mods are just as restrictive. If you have time next week, get an alighnment. 0 toe front and rear with as much balanced negative camber in the front as possable (-1.25deg).

Good move on the winter tyres. As good as the stockers are in the dry they are worthless in the frozen white stuff. Lots of recommendations in the suspension forum.

I always liked the Goes Like Hell Omni. The S version especially.

Welcome to the club.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Thanks for the welcome.

The tire pressures are helpful to start out in AS, thanks.

I plan to do a few OT events also. I need to get an SA Snell helmet by nexy Saturday.

How long should one wait to switch to synthetic oil?

Rex

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.