<title edited for foul language> - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on <title edited for foul language> within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Kreeker I don't blame the car in front... This would have never have happened if the ******* ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeker
    I don't blame the car in front... This would have never have happened if the ******* did not cut off the guy in front of me. Anyway, I have thought back to the incident over and over and I didn't think I was too close..

Maybe I am always following too closely? But I was not any closer than I normally am...

trust me I definately learned my lesson but I feel like I don't know how to drive anymore!!!!!!!!!!
    That doesn't mean you don't know how to drive, it just means you were too close. It's a common mistake by new drivers. Once you get some experience under your belt, you will most likely find yourself dropping back a bit to allow yourself response time.
    When I was young, I used to follow closely also. I always thought my reactions were good enough to drive that way. A few close calls taught me otherwise. I now leave myself enough room to avoid an incident even if I happen to be daydreaming at that particular moment.
    Always keep in mind what kind of braking potential your car has. If you are driving a Taurus, leave more room. If you are driving an STi, you have a better chance of stopping in time, but also a better chance of getting rear-ended.

How much room do you normally leave in front of you at 60mph?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    If you had another 50ft to stop, would you have hit him?
    part of responsible driving is keeping in mind things like you're driving a Taurus and not a race car with 16" 6-piston brakes. Its just a matter of experience. Next time you'll know that a 2 second gap isn't enough with some cars...depending on the speed, 2 seconds wouldn't be enough even in the all-mighty STI.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I have to be honest, on the highway I don't leave enough room. On the road I expect people to brake check and cut me off. So I keep my distance. Also I think the WRX has a bit worse brakes then my Tiburon had...that or the weight is just different. But I actualy drive more carefully with the WRX...and the fact that it is so much better I would never want it wrecked!

Oh and the rule is 3 seconds from the rear bumper of their car to your front bumper of your car or 1 car length for every 10 mph. So going 70 on the highway...I usualy have 4-5 car lengths...so not enough.
    Last edited by viperuws; 09-19-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeker
    Yea I blame my brakes and myself for not getting new ones... My brakes make a loud high pitch noise when I'm pulling out of my drive way... I definately need to get new ones
    Squeeky brakes still work the same as quiet ones. Braking distances are only reduced once you start hearing metal on metal grinding noises. It wasn't the brakes fault.

Almost nobody on the road follows the 2-3 second rule. They are all gambling that noone in front of them will need to panic stop. As a fairly new driver, or really any driver, should aspire not to follow their poor example, but to be a better driver than them. If that means you have to go a little slower, and leave more room, so be it. Race car drivers know that the best way to get comfortable with a car is to take it slow and work your way up. Nobody can jump right in and keep up with the more experienced drivers. And many race car drivers will tell you that they feel safer on the track than on the road because people on the road are not paying attention, and they're generally idiots. Even more reason to aspire to be better than them, and not follow their dangerous example.

People will be very stupid on the road. If you die in a car accident, blame doesn't mean much. Driving is typically the most dangerous thing most people do, yet they do it so often half-assed. Keep yourself safe and let the idiots kill themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    People will be very stupid on the road. If you die in a car accident, blame doesn't mean much. Driving is typically the most dangerous thing most people do, yet they do it so often half-assed. Keep yourself safe and let the idiots kill themselves.
    +1

Everyone has a level of comfort when they drive. Almost like a line that once crossed you start to feel a little uncomfortable. When you stay in your comfort zone you can almost predict who's going to ***** up.

I love driving but after driving a long distance I am a little more tired than I used to be because I refuse to stop paying attention and I feel like the people on the road today are 10 times worse than even 5 years ago.
    Car-less

At 44 years of age, I am learning to drive all over again. This time, in a tractor-trailer truck to get a Class A CDL. One thing I have learned so far is, there is no such thing as leaving too much room. When driving a car, you have the luxury of being able to stop in a short time. In a truck, you don't.

As a school bus driver, I saw lots of people who thought nothing of cutting off a vehicle that could easily demolish their car and kill them. As a truck driver, I'm not looking forward to seeing what idiocy people are capable of.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.