Sorta New... and some questions...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sorta New... and some questions... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I have actually been a member (or "lurker") here for a while, but I guess it is time ...

Sorta New... and some questions...

Hey all,
    I have actually been a member (or "lurker") here for a while, but I guess it is time to come out of the shell. I got a '02 WRB WRX Sedan (wingless) back in June. I purchased it used (or cert pre-owner or whatever you want to say) from a dealer in MA, with about 30k on the clock, and it has been a blast. I also have been a Subie driver for a while as I grew up with them in my family, but then switched to Audi's. I love the Audi's too, but just so much to go wrong, and so much money every time they go in. They all have their pro's and con's but I wanted something a little sportier, and more reliable. Anyway, I'm not new to the forum life, and love cars, and my WRX. They truly are sweet cars, and it IS true that once you drive one, the bug bites you. My father bought a Ď05 WRB WRX Wagon 3 days after I purchased mine.
    Ok, so I have also read plenty about SOA shafting people on warrantee claims, and (call me a sucker) I purchased the extended warrantee on my '02 WRX. So, this added 3 years, and/or 36k more to what it had left (which was very little), and supposedly covers everything again. Now, the car has the "premium sound" upgrade, which basically just means tweeters and speakers I guess, but does not have the factory subwoofer. I completely redid the sound in my Audi and still have all of that, but I feel as I am a bit past all that, and am fine with the stock stuff, but would like just a bit more bass. Of course, the dealer can install that factory sub, for a good chunk of change (almost $400 I believe). Now, doing some online research, one can find the OEM sub in box with the whole kit etc for MUCH cheaper than the dealer. However, and this is my question basically. Even though it is the OEM equipment, and all that, if the dealer does not install it, are they going to try and shaft me on a warrantee claim if say something goes electrically wrong in a year or something? I also have keyless entry, but do not believe I have the "security system" and have also found the OEM security "upgrade" online for much less than the dealer. I feel confident that I could install these OEM items as I am decently car and electronically able, but at the same time, would rather not throw away the extra money paid for the warrantee if they are going to shoot things down because of "non-dealer" installs.
    I am sorry for the length of this post; I guess I felt like my first needed to get some stuff out. I hope to help here, as this community is awesome from what Iíve been viewing/reading for almost the past 6 months. Thanks in advance!

~scrogers

(P.S.- I have plenty of pics that I can post at some point, but its a stock wingless bugeye WRB WRX sedan... more to come...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jje121
    Welcome to the club...
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Welcome!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Welcome to the club! Pertaining to your sound system question; I would imagine that if there was a problem, they COULD potentially void the warranty on your audio system. I don't think they could/would void your overall warranty. Does that make sense? Of course I could be totally wrong. Nevertheless, welcome and enjoy the WRX. In my opinion, it's one of the most amazing cars ever built. For the money.
    2006 World Rally Blue Pearl TR Sedan.
    OEM fogs
    OEM Rear deck lid
    -much more to come-
    VAG-EYE-NA is a beautiful thing!!
    Lifes Necessities: Food,Clothing,Shelter and SUBARUS!!

Yeah, I hear that...

I see what you're saying about the audio system. Thatís kind of what I was afraid of though to be honest. I guess I'm more worried about say installing the OEM sub myself, and then having something electrical (completely unrelated to audio) go on me, and have them claim that since its not on record that they installed the sub (I'm assuming that would go on record or they "would know"??), that that "could have" caused the issue. Anyway, thanks for the reply, I guess if I want to be 100% then I'll probably have to have it installed at the dealer. Either that, or take the chance, but I'm not sure if its worth the bit I'll save online. Thanks again!

~scrogers

basically if they are a cheap dealership they will try and void whatever they can because it saves them money. If they really really wanted to be a-holes they could say that the new sound system was installed improperly and it messed up the ECU which they could blame for just about anything else goin wrong in the car. im not saying that this ever happened or will but it could. I would call the dealership that your car is insured with and ask them if this would void your warrenty dont tell them your name though
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    *goes outside to look for chipmunk lodged in downpipe*
    god invented turbolag to give v-8s a chance

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.