new guy.. need advice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new guy.. need advice. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok all. I am new to the forum adn am getting a WRX in a few days.. my big question ...

new guy.. need advice.

ok all. I am new to the forum adn am getting a WRX in a few days.. my big question is what is the difference between the WRX Sedan awd turbo and the wrx STI ?

I have a chance to get a 05 STI but the price is over the NEW 06-07 WRX Sedan. i know the hp is way higher on the STI. but what is the difference in the motor to get that 70 hp? can it be done to the sedan easy??

advice?? i need some. .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Take an 06-07 (which is already underrated) and add a stage 2 package (engine management and a downpipe) for about $1K, and you'll have close to STi power. The STI will still own an 06-07 with respect to suspension, overall handling, and its transmission.

Also, many will blast you for not searching. This site has a wealth of info, you cn learn almost anything you need to know t make your descision.

If the STI isn't beat up, has low miles, and your fairly sure that it wasn't ragged on too hard, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627
    Take an 06-07 (which is already underrated) and add a stage 2 package (engine management and a downpipe) for about $1K, and you'll have close to STi power. The STI will still own an 06-07 with respect to suspension, overall handling, and its transmission.

Also, many will blast you for not searching. This site has a wealth of info, you cn learn almost anything you need to know t make your descision.

If the STI isn't beat up, has low miles, and your fairly sure that it wasn't ragged on too hard, go for it.

thanks.. what is the difference in the STI and wrx sedan?

i have been looking all over this site for 2 days.. figured i would ask and get some good anwsers. so i did search..

I Support ClubWRX
    The sti has a better suspension, more power, and better transmission. The sti is more "race car" built and will have a harsher ride. The gear ratios are also short so you'll be shifting a good bit. The wrx is more refined but less powerfult. It also has a AWFUL 5 speed tranny (and I could care less about the strength of it).

If it was up to me I'd buy the USED STI if it was in good shape. This is coming from a guy who bought a NEW 06 a few months ago.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    The sti has a better suspension, more power, and better transmission. The sti is more "race car" built and will have a harsher ride. The gear ratios are also short so you'll be shifting a good bit. The wrx is more refined but less powerfult. It also has a AWFUL 5 speed tranny (and I could care less about the strength of it).

If it was up to me I'd buy the USED STI if it was in good shape. This is coming from a guy who bought a NEW 06 a few months ago.

the 05 is from a local parts shop that deals in awd cars. i have not seen it yet. But it has some aftermarket parts. 350 HP from what they tell me. but it has been raced at the drag strip. and i'm not sure about what hacking was done. i will find out later today. But i'm scared of what was done and what voided any warrantys.. but the price is over what a new WRX sedan is.. not sure what to do..

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you'd have no warranty with the STI. You can find mid to low mileage 05's for about the cost of a regular wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Sounds like you'd have no warranty with the STI. You can find mid to low mileage 05's for about the cost of a regular wrx.
    Why would '05 STI not have warranty?

Just test drive both. You'll feel the difference.

Doesn't STI have bigger turbo?

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    get the STi be happier
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555
    get the STi be happier
    Plus one.

Welcome!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by taz1004
    Why would '05 STI not have warranty?

Just test drive both. You'll feel the difference.

Doesn't STI have bigger turbo?

Because of the mods that were done to it and abuse factor of drag racing. It's all covered in the first 5 pages of your owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by STI-Tony
    the 05 is from a local parts shop that deals in awd cars. i have not seen it yet. But it has some aftermarket parts. 350 HP from what they tell me. but it has been raced at the drag strip. and i'm not sure about what hacking was done. i will find out later today. But i'm scared of what was done and what voided any warrantys.. but the price is over what a new WRX sedan is.. not sure what to do..

Stay away from it then. No one should even consider buying a modded 350hp STi that has been taken to the strip..... You have no idea how the car was treated and whether or not it was abused. Not to mention you would no longer have a warranty due to all the mods.

I would say just go with the 06'/07' WRX. They are still powerful cars and are underrated from the factory so they are faster than they seem on paper. If you get the itch for more power and performance you can go Cobb stage2, add a RSB, endlinks, springs, SS brake lines, etc.. which is all under $2,000 and have a VERY capable car. Generally I recommend the STi over the wrx, but in this case, you are so much better off with a new wrx as opposed to a used, raced, and modded STi.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

acceptable risk

If the car has significant power train modifications, then the warranty has been voided (unless they are all SPT and installed by a Subaru shop, and even then you're on thin ice). The fact that it has been raced just ices the voided-warranty cake. As far as the warranty goes, racing = abuse.

What to buy is a question of acceptable risk. I did not want to take on the risk of having car payments and large repair bills simultaneously. That was an unacceptable risk for me. So, I bought a new 06 WRX Wagon. For most of the duration of my loan, Subaru gets to maintain my drive train. If you can stomach (afford) large repair bills and payments (or pay cash for the car to avoid payments), then go for the STi.

Personally, there is no way I'd buy a car that had been mod'd significantly. Cars are enough trouble to keep in good shape when they start out pristine. Starting with one that was likely dogged sounds like a PITA. Mine has to take me to work and back every day.

I like my '06 Wagon just fine. Plenty quick and handles nicely.

STi

OK, here it is, plain and simple. If you want a decent car with a nice safe AWD setup, a turbo, and a little bit of power, then the WRX is a great choice. On the other side of the spectrum: if you're looking for a vehicle with race-car like attitude, impressive suspension setup, close to perfect 6-speed transmission, enough pull to put a smile on you're mother-in-law, and an unbeleivable brake package, then buy the STi. No matter how you slice it; for the difference in price between the 2 you simply cannot match what the STi has to offer. If that doesn't help then I'll give you a quote from Subaru themselves:
    "It is pure in it's intent, genuine in it's ambition. The WRX STi exists for one purpose only-to be the ultimate performance machine. With unwaveringly bold technology to increase speed, agility and strength, the WRX STi takes the intensity of ultra-high performance rally driving and replicates it for on-road use. No apologies. No compromises." k....nuff said. Go get the STi. If you don't, you'll be sorry, take my word!
    "You were flyin back there when I passed you!"

NEW ENGLANDF4

Quote Originally Posted by sti>evo
    OK, here it is, plain and simple. If you want a decent car with a nice safe AWD setup, a turbo, and a little bit of power, then the WRX is a great choice. On the other side of the spectrum: if you're looking for a vehicle with race-car like attitude, impressive suspension setup, close to perfect 6-speed transmission, enough pull to put a smile on you're mother-in-law, and an unbeleivable brake package, then buy the STi. No matter how you slice it; for the difference in price between the 2 you simply cannot match what the STi has to offer. If that doesn't help then I'll give you a quote from Subaru themselves:
    "It is pure in it's intent, genuine in it's ambition. The WRX STi exists for one purpose only-to be the ultimate performance machine. With unwaveringly bold technology to increase speed, agility and strength, the WRX STi takes the intensity of ultra-high performance rally driving and replicates it for on-road use. No apologies. No compromises." k....nuff said. Go get the STi. If you don't, you'll be sorry, take my word!

+ 1
    Do you sell cars for living ??? you sound like a sales person
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Save yourself 6-10k and a headache and get a 06 WRX. You'll have just as much fun (if not more) modding your own WRX instead of getting the STi.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast