New guy with a '03 wrx...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New guy with a '03 wrx... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i just (2 days ago) bought a white 03 wrx.. i found this site and although i just signed ...

New guy with a '03 wrx...

So i just (2 days ago) bought a white 03 wrx.. i found this site and although i just signed up, it's already proving to be very educational... i dont know much about cars and would like to get into it with this new purchase.. all i know as of now is that i like the "wooosshh" noise it makes when i change gears...

the car has the following mods as far as i can tell: a BOV, 18" rims, a prodrive exhaust system, and the previous owner removed the wings cause he said it weighed the car down... with all these, it has 39k miles on it and i bought it for 16k... i am happy thus far. it is my first AWD car and I LOVE IT.. lol.. it feels great.. and its poweful.. my only complain so far is that first gear is kinda hard to get into. would a performance clutch make the gears easy to shift into?

any information/tips/thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

congrats and welcome to the club. as for your first gear problem, that's pretty typical for wrx's, but a short shifter and bushings would improve the shifting dramatically. i would go with a Kartboy shifter.

also, if the previous owner didn't do so, i would get a catless uppipe. other than that your pretty much set.
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

Thank you! I forgot to mention it also already has a short shifter (i don't know what kind though)... :-\ The bushings, however, i guess i could replace.. is there a specific brand/type... ?

Kartboy FTW!!

are you planning to get engine management anytime soon?
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

sure.. if soon is around a year from now or so... :-\

i am looking for a good air intake system right now.. i was thinking AEM.

honestly a air intake wouldn't do you any good. you be better off saving your money for an EM system. the stock airbox is good for 300hp. unless your looking for the intake sound, it won't do you any good.

i'd save my money for a more benefitial mod. just my .02
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

Welcome to the club. You should check out the Bugeye Mafia...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Welcome!

Here is my patented SUBY plan. This is what you should do (in order)

Sell the blow off valve and buy a stock ByPass Valve
    Use the extra money to buy a catless up-pipe (if you don't already have one)
    Buy a Cobb AP and load stage 2 maps
    Your on your way to having mucho fun
    stupidman has spoken

thank you for all the suggestions..as a newbie, i appreciate it greatly..

my concern with any mod is getting the check-engine light/not being able to pass inspection...

i did mention the intake simply because of the sound.. i do like that sound.. but i will not risk performance for that sound.... the BOV, in the other hand.. i will keep regardless of its small impact on performance... because i like that sound much more. :-)

i keep hearing the first thing to do is the uppipe... but i read somehwere today somethign liek this: the less back-resistance/or something that comes out the tailpipes, the faster [something to do with turbo] will spin causing one to have to get an external wastegate or replace the stock one in order to compensate for all this extra power the turbo is giving...
    if this makes any sense to some1...let me know. excuse my gibberish and bad terminology.

thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by diegohb

i keep hearing the first thing to do is the uppipe... but i read somehwere today somethign liek this: the less back-resistance/or something that comes out the tailpipes, the faster [something to do with turbo] will spin causing one to have to get an external wastegate or replace the stock one in order to compensate for all this extra power the turbo is giving...
    if this makes any sense to some1...let me know. excuse my gibberish and bad terminology.

thanks!
    Its called boost creep. You need to look at a picture of a turbo to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Creep is really only an issue on 2.5l motors most 2.0's dont have it.
    Read all about boost creep in the sticky, but you (with a 2.0l) shouldn't have to worry about the uppipe especially, and can probably get by fine with no cats in the downpipe as well. I personally think we should be running at least high flow cats in the DP because they (except in radical setups) don't limit power and they are important components in improving air quality for us all. Note that even the 2.5l WRX doesn't currently have a cat in the uppipe stock, and Stis never did. Boost creep / fuel cut

noted... thanks!! :-)

what is your personal opinion on the HKS sequential BOV's sound... (the noise it makes as it alternates..) ?? i've never heard it but i've had it described to me and it seems like it wold sound cool.. unique.. not the typical wooooshhhh...

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club.
    Most people around here feel that BOV's of any kind are a waste of money unless you're pushing boost that's WAAAY higher than stock.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Welcome to the Club.
    Most people around here feel that BOV's of any kind are a waste of money unless you're pushing boost that's WAAAY higher than stock.
    yea... ive noticed.. but mines came with it so it wasnt a waste of money on my end...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by diegohb
    yea... ive noticed.. but mines came with it so it wasnt a waste of money on my end...
    Yours came with it, but you don't know what it sounds like? Or are you looking to replace the aftermarket BOV that you currently have with another aftermarket BOV?

Still a waste of money, either way. I would use the money towards a mod that will increase performance.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

lol... i am trying to replace the aftermarket BOV that is currently in my car... with the sequential bov mentioned above... i dont know what that sounds like..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast