NISMO->n00b->STI

This is a discussion on NISMO->n00b->STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I'm Robert, I live in SoCal, and have been into cars my entire life. The majority of my energy ...

NISMO->n00b->STI

Hi, I'm Robert, I live in SoCal, and have been into cars my entire life. The majority of my energy was directed towards Nissan's. There has always been an itch that I've needed to scratch though. Ever since highschool, when I first saw the Concept for the new WRX to hit our shores, I knew I had to have one. I've always been into the Evolution's (Mainly the III, VI and VII) but something about the 'new WRX' screamed at me. Now, I'm older, and have an '05 Hyundai Accent GT, which has been good to me, and has taken to my driving style (umm... fast) suprisingly well. Also there's an '89 S13 coupe that is in between times of operation right now. ( don't ask ) That's the chosen one. Other than a BNR33, I've never wanted a car from the JDM more than I have an S13 Silvia. Now I've got the base for it, but lack the funds and time to put into making it what I want. My plans for it are EXTREMELY extensive, and it'll take years, I'm sure, to get it where I want it. (unless of course someone wants to pay me to build it, including parts) I'm about done with the Accent and everything surrounding it. It has great potential, but it's just not worth it to me. One of my friends has an 06 WRX 2.5 with decent mods. Now talking about it, and riding in it seems to have re-ignited that dormant desire to own one. So now I turn to you. The WRX community to help inform me on everything I'll need to know, when looking for mine. I'm not sure whether I want a sedan or wagon, and I think that'll be decided, simply by whichever one I can get my hands on first.

So now, with all that said and done... Hi, I'm looking for an '02-'03 Subaru WRX. What should I be looking out for? Common problems with the Drivetrain, (doubt it) electronics, interior components, etc. Any recalls I should look for? Thanks in advance.

The S13 after a wash, taken with my phone, so forgive the quality please.

The most recent picture of the Accent. Ignore the jacked up front bumper. It's a working car.

Oh, and just to set the record straight, before it gets skewed. No, I'm not a 'drifter,' nor do I plan on becoming one. I can drift, but it's my belief that drifting is a skill... a tactic, if you will, used in racing. Not a sport in it's own right. If you must label me, I'm a "touge-head."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cool i like nissans, i own a 300zx twin turbo. welcome to the world of subaru.

good luck, your best bet is to get it from a reputable dealership cuz they'd hopefully make sure the car is without problems. too often, subaru's have minor problems and people cannot figure it out so they trade it in. sometimes they even have MAJOR problems so they are sold.

Banned
    Just make sure that the trans shifts ok and your paint is in good shape. Do a lot of reading here and nasioc.com before you commit to it. Welcome aboard.

That's a nice coupe you have there, I love that champagne color. Anyways, welcome to the club, although the 240's have much potential (SR20DET, RB25DET etc.) the emissions here in SoCal will be hard to get by with one of those engine swaps. This was my first idea to put a SR into my '90 hatchback 240, but then I thought about it and instead saved up a downpayment for my new REX. I'm not trying to discourage you from building your 240, those things can be very very fast due to how light they are.
    here's mine (she's for sale)
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Quote Originally Posted by 240toSTi
    ...here's mine (she's for sale)...
    How much? and where? My friend's looking for a hatch.
    -Robert R.
    Touge Speed...

oh SNAP son!

pm sent to you.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Spool
    Hi, I'm Robert, I live in SoCal, and have been into cars my entire life. The majority of my energy was directed towards Nissan's. There has always been an itch that I've needed to scratch though. Ever since highschool, when I first saw the Concept for the new WRX to hit our shores, I knew I had to have one. I've always been into the Evolution's (Mainly the III, VI and VII) but something about the 'new WRX' screamed at me. Now, I'm older, and have an '05 Hyundai Accent GT, which has been good to me, and has taken to my driving style (umm... fast) suprisingly well. Also there's an '89 S13 coupe that is in between times of operation right now. ( don't ask ) That's the chosen one. Other than a BNR33, I've never wanted a car from the JDM more than I have an S13 Silvia. Now I've got the base for it, but lack the funds and time to put into making it what I want. My plans for it are EXTREMELY extensive, and it'll take years, I'm sure, to get it where I want it. (unless of course someone wants to pay me to build it, including parts) I'm about done with the Accent and everything surrounding it. It has great potential, but it's just not worth it to me. One of my friends has an 06 WRX 2.5 with decent mods. Now talking about it, and riding in it seems to have re-ignited that dormant desire to own one. So now I turn to you. The WRX community to help inform me on everything I'll need to know, when looking for mine. I'm not sure whether I want a sedan or wagon, and I think that'll be decided, simply by whichever one I can get my hands on first.

So now, with all that said and done... Hi, I'm looking for an '02-'03 Subaru WRX. What should I be looking out for? Common problems with the Drivetrain, (doubt it) electronics, interior components, etc. Any recalls I should look for? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and just to set the record straight, before it gets skewed. No, I'm not a 'drifter,' nor do I plan on becoming one. I can drift, but it's my belief that drifting is a skill... a tactic, if you will, used in racing. Not a sport in it's own right. If you must label me, I'm a "touge-head."
    I had a '90 Hatchback that I was planning on souping up but I sold it once I bought my '73 240Z. I like the SX's but I like the 1stgen Z's much better. I had a '90 Silvia when I was stationed in Okinawa in '01 and '02. I'm a die hard Nissan fan as well but I love Subies too. Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by 240toSTi
    That's a nice coupe you have there, I love that champagne color. Anyways, welcome to the club, although the 240's have much potential (SR20DET, RB25DET etc.) the emissions here in SoCal will be hard to get by with one of those engine swaps. This was my first idea to put a SR into my '90 hatchback 240, but then I thought about it and instead saved up a downpayment for my new REX. I'm not trying to discourage you from building your 240, those things can be very very fast due to how light they are.
    here's mine (she's for sale)
    Ok, I was trying to let the lack of mention of this go for the last several months (from every 240sx owner I've talked to, not just you) but why the **** have I heard almost NO mention of the CA18DET???? That is the engine that I was planning on swapping into my 90 S13 before I decided to sell it. CA18DET>>>SR20DET (U.S. aftermarket support doesn't count). CA enginesets are cheaper than SRs. CA has an iron block (i.e bulletproof...it's just an RB26 without two cylinders). CA has timing belt (smoother operation at high revs). And CAs are also a direct physical drop in/ bolt on affair like the SR. I was stationed in Okinawa for a year. I've ridden in CA powered 180s and Silvias. I'm very well aware of what those engines are capable of. SRs are a good engine but they are getting overhyped very very fast. KA turbo swaps will yield more power for equivalent amounts of money and CAs will yield almost as much power for a lot less money in the initial swap.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I am very aware of the CA18DET engine, and that was initially my first pick of a motor swap due to it being cheaper and what not. As for my post I was just throwing out some of the familiar swaps.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    Ok, I was trying to let the lack of mention of this go for the last several months (from every 240sx owner I've talked to, not just you) but why the **** have I heard almost NO mention of the CA18DET????
    I personally love the CA. Always have... the main reason it's not catching on here in the US, I think, is because it's not as readily available as the SR. They don't have US aftermarket support, and it'd cost you a good $2k more for a CA than an SR, since you can find the SR at the drop of a hat. The only reason I plan on an SR swap, is simply because I'm trying to build it to complete Japanese specs. RHD, and all. (theus the reason I don't plan on it being done for years) If I had a Hatch though... I'd definately either go with a CA (because it's light and unique, among the obvious power reasons) or an RB26 (because I've seen it done, and theres nothing quite like the sight/sound of an RB RPS13 @20psi blowing past you at WOT in 3rd gear. it'll almost make you wet yourself... trust me)
    But I think the main reason is because it's A) not "cool" to not do a SR swap, and B) Not as cheap and quick as an SR swap.
    -Robert R.
    Touge Speed...

oh SNAP son!

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Spool
    I personally love the CA. Always have... the main reason it's not catching on here in the US, I think, is because it's not as readily available as the SR. They don't have US aftermarket support, and it'd cost you a good $2k more for a CA than an SR, since you can find the SR at the drop of a hat. The only reason I plan on an SR swap, is simply because I'm trying to build it to complete Japanese specs. RHD, and all. (theus the reason I don't plan on it being done for years) If I had a Hatch though... I'd definately either go with a CA (because it's light and unique, among the obvious power reasons) or an RB26 (because I've seen it done, and theres nothing quite like the sight/sound of an RB RPS13 @20psi blowing past you at WOT in 3rd gear. it'll almost make you wet yourself... trust me)
    But I think the main reason is because it's A) not "cool" to not do a SR swap, and B) Not as cheap and quick as an SR swap.
    More expensive for a CA? You must be looking in the wrong places. I would post the link to Unstable Hybrids but they seem to have went out of bid'nes. JGY customs is still in business but I've heard many many shady things about them, but check their engine set prices out. They were about the same as U-H.
    http://www.jgycustoms.com/motors.htm

I wouldn't call a CA 'light'. I think that it weighs not too much less than an SR (CA has iron block, SR has alum), but it can def rev like an S2000 engine. I think that would be the perfect engine for a 510.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan