Debating on a Rex

This is a discussion on Debating on a Rex within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have always loved the wrx and just subies in general. I have been working at a Subaru dealership for ...

Debating on a Rex

I have always loved the wrx and just subies in general. I have been working at a Subaru dealership for a few months now and everyday I drive STis and WRXs. I am a huge Toyota person but I am really thinking about getting a bugeyed WRX. I can get one for pretty much for a steal since I work at the dealership. What are some positive and negative things about a subie. I know I probably wont have the reliability and simplicity I am used to with toyota. I don't to end up regreating on buying one. Some opinions please....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

positives: turbo, AWD, Reliabilty, exhaust sound, good interior, great driveability

Negatives: only one i can think of is tempermental ECU, not as easy ECU as other cars but if you spend the money and do it right it will kick butt

I Support ClubWRX
    Really the only con I can think of is the gearbox. I'm not talking about strength (althrough isnt the strongest) but overall it's very clanky. The tranny hates reverse, 1-2 shift is awful, and it doesnt put any confidence in the driver at all.

Other then that everything is on par for a 20 some thousand dollar car. I'm sure it will have some rattles but the car is now almost 4-5 years old so that's understandable. Good luck
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your going to get every variety of response to this. Some (few) people have had bad experiences with the tranny, warranty service is a mixed bag, paint is weak.

The thing is that Toyota hasn't got anything even in the same ballpark. What kind of 2002-2003 Toyota are you considering? Most other cars in this league are far more finicky, or maybe even persnickety.

If you like it and can get a deal, and especially if it is un-modded and lacking signs of abuse, just get it and you'll probably be happy. Have one of the dealer mechanics check it out then pull the trigger.

I have heard rumors about "weak" trannys in the WRXs. But is the tranny the problem or is it the drivers? I know I cant drive an AWD car like a can a FWD or RWD. Do the tranny tends to give out easily or is it the abuse from the inexperianced AWD drivers?

Uh the tranny will hold as all stock cars go with tranny's, it is when you push more horsepower that adds stress to the tranny, it goes hand in hand more horsepower=stronger tranny

I wouldn't worry so much about the tranny. There are many preventative ways to avoid experiencing what other have suffered with. For the most part, tranny's go out because of excessive launching. So be weary in doing so to avoid problems.

The cons I personally have against the WRX is the stock tires. I wish that Subaru would've wrapped it with better performance tires that will accomodate the performance of the car. And performance is a little too watered down, IMO (06 models might've been better). I really feel that it should've been performing like a WRX with an AP stage 2 right out the box. But it's only so because performance is important to me, no matter what category it may come in.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Quote Originally Posted by RallyRacer
    I have always loved the wrx and just subies in general. I have been working at a Subaru dealership for a few months now and everyday I drive STis and WRXs. I am a huge Toyota person but I am really thinking about getting a bugeyed WRX. I can get one for pretty much for a steal since I work at the dealership. What are some positive and negative things about a subie. I know I probably wont have the reliability and simplicity I am used to with toyota. I don't to end up regreating on buying one. Some opinions please....
    I checked reliability rating and blue book resale values on Subaru compared to Honda and Toyota before I bought mine. It's right up there with them. You should know these things if you're working at the Subaru dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    I wouldn't worry so much about the tranny. There are many preventative ways to avoid experiencing what other have suffered with. For the most part, tranny's go out because of excessive launching. So be weary in doing so to avoid problems.

The cons I personally have against the WRX is the stock tires. I wish that Subaru would've wrapped it with better performance tires that will accomodate the performance of the car. And performance is a little too watered down, IMO (06 models might've been better). I really feel that it should've been performing like a WRX with an AP stage 2 right out the box. But it's only so because performance is important to me, no matter what category it may come in.
    I agree but if they did that then why would anyone buy an STi? Beside the 06 come with the 2.5 block and not the whimsy 2.0 found in earlier models that gives you the added torque