No longer lurking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on No longer lurking within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just thought I'd say hi! regstered to post, been watching for a while. should have my car soon, as i ...

No longer lurking

Just thought I'd say hi! regstered to post, been watching for a while. should have my car soon, as i FINALLY get my permit next month

hope to learn a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

What kind of car are you getting? And by 'permit' I take it you're 15, 16?
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

welcome to the club!!
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

I turn 16 next month, so yes I have to get permit first. really want an sti but my father saw how much insurace would be and doesn't think its a good idea. so maybe a wrx with some mods? Have to pass test first of course

Peachypumpkincheeks

If you've been lurking you should know by know that you're probably going to get flamed for being power hungry without the appropriate driving experience.

But I'm a nice person. So, might I suggest looking into a 2.5RS? Honestly a WRX just has too much power STOCK for anyone who hasn't put in hours behind the wheel of any car, let alone an AWD turbo powered one. And an STI?! Forgiddaboutit!

If I was you I'd put money into taking defensive driving courses and autocrossing so you get very comfortable behind a wheel before you start putting money into making a fast car faster.

Bottom line: Experience is greater than everything. Please be smart and be careful.

listen to the lady, she knows what she's talkin about. i know you want the thrill of driving an AWD beast, but just hold off for a couple years and get some experience behind the wheel first. trust me, you don't want to go out and buy a rex, just to see it wrecked.
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

yeah i expect it, but i'm really pretty responsble. i like the idea of a wrx because i can start out with it stock and lower insurance. then if i mod it i can be faster than a sti without the added price. i just dont want to buy a new car ill hate in a year. My parents would never let me race it, so getting them to let me autocross would be tough. plus i wouldn't want to break it or anything.

you probably are responsible, but i know what high school is like. purchased my bugeye before my senior year began, and everywhere i went people weree constantly hagling me about wanting to race. i considered myself very responsible, but there were a few times when i let my emotions get to me. if you do go with the REX, just remember to respect the car.
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    If you've been lurking you should know by know that you're probably going to get flamed for being power hungry without the appropriate driving experience.

But I'm a nice person. So, might I suggest looking into a 2.5RS? Honestly a WRX just has too much power STOCK for anyone who hasn't put in hours behind the wheel of any car, let alone an AWD turbo powered one. And an STI?! Forgiddaboutit!

If I was you I'd put money into taking defensive driving courses and autocrossing so you get very comfortable behind a wheel before you start putting money into making a fast car faster.

Bottom line: Experience is greater than everything. Please be smart and be careful.
    I agree with what speedette says

If I were you I would consider getting a older "classic" 1998-2000 Impreza RS, looks hot and is way cheaper and insurance and also its not going to get your parents or you hopefully too upset if you get a few "learning curve" / driving dents n dings
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by amrahk
    yeah i expect it, but i'm really pretty responsble. i like the idea of a wrx because i can start out with it stock and lower insurance. then if i mod it i can be faster than a sti without the added price. i just dont want to buy a new car ill hate in a year. My parents would never let me race it, so getting them to let me autocross would be tough. plus i wouldn't want to break it or anything.
    Would you be responsible when your friends are in the car egging you on to race the Scion TC, Cobalt SS, Mustang GT, everything and anything next to you? Would you be responsible when one of these cars pulls up next to you at a stoplight and revs their engive? Would you be responsible when you're rushing to the movies in the snow and you take the off-ramp at 60 despite these conditions just because you have AWD?

If you were truly responsible, you'd wait for a couple years to get the WRX when you've had enough driving experience to know how to correct possible incidents that would normally become accidents.

I know I'm not alone in saying that true responsibility will only come with driving experience and when you've actually earned the funds to pay for a car yourself that you will truly respect.

Lower insurance? Who is paying this insurance? Sure it's great when you're on your parents, but in two years when you're 18, who's going to be footing the car payments and insurance bill? It adds up.

Buying a car you'll hate in a year? Then just get a beater to learn to master stick on. The RS is a great start because you have the AWD platform and still a decent-handling car but without the torque/power.

And by autocrossing, I did not mean racing. I mean going to a parking lot where you drive around cones and you run the track by yourself for time trials. You shouldn't be going to compete, you should be going to learn.

As for your parents disapproving of this...well I'd say they're crazy in the first place if they're going to buy you a WRX.

But what do I know...

jeez, not here to argue just to say hi. my parents just want something safe, they don't mind if it has a little preformance and it will be new so i don't get anyone elses problems. i get all the comments, but its not really a big deal. prolly won't have any friends in th ecar anytime soon anyway. it's not like i'm gonna do a turbo right away, i wouldn't even know where to start!

modding isn't really the issue. the issue is the experience to power factor. you won't have the experience needed to control this car. trust me on this one, you will appreciate the car a whole lot more by waiting.
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

Peachypumpkincheeks

jeez, not here to argue just to say hi. my parents just want something safe, they don't mind if it has a little preformance and it will be new so i don't get anyone elses problems. i get all the comments, but its not really a big deal. prolly won't have any friends in th ecar anytime soon anyway. it's not like i'm gonna do a turbo right away, i wouldn't even know where to start!
    If your parents want to get you something safe, they should get you a honda civic or toyota corrolla. If you want something a little 'peppier', get the Corolla S or the Civic Si.

And the #1 reason you should not get a WRX:

WRXes come with a turbo STOCK. If you did not even know that, you do not belong in this car.

jeez it's like your all jealous or something

i KNOW it has a turbo, just saying i wouldnt do any upgrades. I don't know cars much yet besides what i read here, but i'm not an idiot. and i wouldnt be caught dead in a carolla or civic, plus my parents would never go for it. i need something safe with awd for the winter, so thats pretty much just subaru and audi. i like the a3 but its not even awd, and that has a turbo too... even less safe.

Peachypumpkincheeks

but i'm not an idiot.
    You haven't proven otherwise yet.

i need something safe with awd for the winter.
    Subaru 2.5RS
    Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
    Subaru Outback Limited
    Toyota Matrix XR 4 WD
    Volvo V70 XC AWD
    BMW 325xi
    Many SUVs/Trucks

AWD does not substitute for experience and won't make you a better driver.

Actually, why am I even bothering? You don't live anywhere near me and I don't know you...your death wouldn't be on my conscience. And please, please when you total your WRX, please come here and let us know so I can give you a big fat I TOLD YOU SO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.