tired of the run-around...

This is a discussion on tired of the run-around... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i need answers from people “in the know”. First off, wasssup. Nice to be a member of clubwrx.net. Just sold ...

tired of the run-around...

i need answers from people “in the know”.

First off, wasssup. Nice to be a member of clubwrx.net.

Just sold my 06 Chrysler 300 and bought an 05 STI. Looking at doing some basic, starter mods. However, I’m getting the hard core run around from different companies.

Based on my passed racing experience…my thoughts are to get an exhaust, intake, POV and that’s it. More air in, more air out and the POV for a cool ass sound.

Guy A tells me to get: Exhaust, Intake, Fuel pump no POV. He says I won’t pass smog with the POV.

Guy B tells me: no need for the aftermarket intake. And to go turbo back exhaust and cobb mapping (tuning) and no POV.

Guy C tells me: don’t sweat the smog thing. Because in Cali they don’t have any smog stations for 4 wheel drive cars, and they’ll only use the “sniffer”. Huh?

Can someone help me out? I’ve read in these posts about COBB stage 2. not sure what that is, or what stage one would be.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peace.

U KNOWWW
    05’ Silver STI
    Bone_freakin_stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Guy B is the winner.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

guy b knows what hes talking about.
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Guy B FTW
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

guy B and a little searching will do the trick.
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

On a multiple guess test answer B is the best if you don't know the answer. Statistics.

In this case it is the right answer too.

The intake in WRX/STi is very good stock and very hard to beat with aftermarket parts for power.

While the stock STi exhaust is good from the factory it can be improved on. COBB makes a good one as do others. They are all actually too good. They will increase power, but without engine management they can boost creep and have problems with fuel cut, lean out, and other drivability, longevity issues. The fix is Engine Management (EM).

COBB's version is their passport product and they have several "in the can" maps for common applications. It has been getting good reviews and has a good price. Stage 2 is a turbo back and the generic map for that mod. Nice reliable package. Custom mapping for your exact engine could possibly give you more power, but that costs more.

COBB's web site explanes this better than I can.

The problem with POV/BOV that give that "nice" sound is that they dump metered air and can screw up all of that careful mapping and make the engine run rich. Subaru currently uses a mass flow air sensor. (Another reason it is hard to beat the factory intake...)
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

thanks guys. learned a lot. do i have to roll with a cobb exhaust? what about an HKS TI exhaust (turbo back) and then the cobb AccessPort? is that doable?

I saw an turbo back HKS Titanium exhaust on the web for like $750 (new - in box). that plus the $600 accessport would be $300 cheaper than the full cobb stage two set up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea, "B" is the way to go.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by U KNOWWW
    thanks guys. learned a lot. do i have to roll with a cobb exhaust? what about an HKS TI exhaust (turbo back) and then the cobb AccessPort? is that doable?

I saw an turbo back HKS Titanium exhaust on the web for like $750 (new - in box). that plus the $600 accessport would be $300 cheaper than the full cobb stage two set up.
    You will want to stay away from using the HKS downpipe because of the way it was designed. It has a flat plat infront of the wastegate outlet which prevents the exhaust gasses from moving quickly and efficiently. A bellmouth designed downpipe is a better choice because it allows a much higher flow rate giving you more power, response, etc. I'd recommend cobb, helix, turbo xs, aps, and perrin for their turbo backs. There are others, but I thought I'd just throw out a few names. Good luck with the search!
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by Icysheet
    You will want to stay away from using the HKS downpipe because of the way it was designed. It has a flat plat infront of the wastegate outlet which prevents the exhaust gasses from moving quickly and efficiently. A bellmouth designed downpipe is a better choice because it allows a much higher flow rate giving you more power, response, etc. I'd recommend cobb, helix, turbo xs, aps, and perrin for their turbo backs. There are others, but I thought I'd just throw out a few names. Good luck with the search!
    +1, the hks catback portion is fine but the downpipe is poorly designed. Hit up some searches because a lot of things have already been done and posted about... everything from turbo upgrades to changing you blinker fluid. Its all been covered.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

I Support ClubWRX
    Guy B.

Bone_freakin_stock and ? A bone stock STi is way ahead of an awful lot of cars.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

guy b > everyone
    If you ever go back in time, dont touch anything.

2005 STi
    Cobb Ap Stage Two/ Cobb Suspension Stage one.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Looks like Guy B has read these threads (and you should too!!):

The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Guy B

oh and GUY C is an idiot.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

and the winner is.....Guy B.

going with turbo back and accesspoint. can't wait. probally will go with a Cobb exhaust. was thinking about HKS. but i was told by another member that the flange is somewhat restrictive on the HKS and the Cobb'y is more free flowing.

gotta love free flowing.

thanks for all of your imput.