New to the WRX STi world....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the WRX STi world.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; but not to the car world....hey..my name is brandon, 18 yrs old.. and right now, i drive an 2003 Mustang ...

New to the WRX STi world....

but not to the car world....hey..my name is brandon, 18 yrs old.. and right now, i drive an 2003 Mustang GT 5 speed..i have a friend who just got an sti after trading in his 11 sec Stang (2004) and he loves how everything is there handling, breaking and powerwise fromt the factory...its also becoming a hassel because i drive alot with alot of people so i need something that will handle 4-5 people while keeping the power....i also need to get something to get around with in the winter cause RWD cars wont go anywhere w/ snow...

i have found 3 STi's in my area....1 w/ 8k miles ($28k) another w/ 32k miles ($22k) and i forget the other cars miles but it too is $28k....im leaning towards the one w/ 32k miles cause in the end i'll only have to pay about $5k out of my pocket w/ a trade in of my stang...

ANYWAYS....just thought i would pop in and say hi...also..what would be first on the mods list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cobb ap and downpipe to make stage 2!
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tayhadar1
    Cobb ap and downpipe to make stage 2!
    +1

good luck and welcome to the club!!!
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

Speaking of breaking. Be sure to check out the brake rotors, front AND rear on the 32 K car. The dealer will probably replace them for free up to 36 K, but they are very expensive to replace out of pocket.

Good luck.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

what are some good sites for performance parts? so far ive found http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/index.php

Welcome to the site and the wrx/sti community in general.

If you want a good performing car that can do it all and still haul 4 or 5 people then it really does not get much better than the STi for under $30,000.
    32,000 miles is nothing seeing that some people have hit 100k with no problem and many wrx's are nearing the 150k mark with little to no problems and the STi actually has a more reliable motor and tranny.

If you are looking for mods, the most safe and reliable way to get power is a cobb stage2 setup. All you need is a Turbo back exhaust (downpipe and catback) and an Accessport Ecu. All together, only about $1,400 worth of mods. This will put you in the 300whp area and have the car running mid-high 12's @ 106-108mph.

When looking at used STi's make sure to check the brakes out as someone else has noted. By 32k miles they should have needed to be replaced already, but if the previous owner never did then that could get quite costly. Just something to keep your eye out for.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    When looking at used STi's make sure to check the brakes out as someone else has noted. By 32k miles they should have needed to be replaced already, but if the previous owner never did then that could get quite costly. Just something to keep your eye out for.
    why...what is up w/ the breaks at around 30k miles...

and thanks for the welcome guy..ive been reading alot of things about the cobbs AP and stuff..i believe if i get the STi ill get a Cobb Catted DP and a magnaflow cb...

My rear brakes were the first to go at 38 K just outside of warranty, I can get a few thousand more street miles out of the fronts.

The problem is that they are brutally expensive. ~$2,000 for stock parts. That's not installed. Going aftermarket you compromise nothing, but can cut the cost in half. There are real cheap parts out there, but you are talking about max GVW (4, 5 people), and adding go fast parts. This is for rotors and pads only.

Nothing wrong with the brakes, they are fantastic, but if you are use to the cost of Mustang parts you will be in for a rude awakening.

Just a friendly warning.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Welcome to the cluban good luck getting your new STi..
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

thankx for the welcome again... i do understand that parts for the STi's are more expensive..but i need a car that still goes fast but carries 4 people confortably..cause my knees were hitting the dash when i had 4 people im my stang....haaha
    Brandon J

2003 White Mustang GT 5-Speed
    241rwhp/283rwtq
    (Air filter and SLP LMI's)
    13.97 @ 101.4

Welcome! I agree with the turbo-back and Cobb AP. Deffinately the best beginner mods. You deffinately won't be disappointed with the STi. I'm 6'6" so I needed a car that had some room and preferably 4-doors in case of a child in the next couple of years. STi was the obvious choice. Especially since I am from WA and stationed in Germany, the AWD was important as well.
    2003 RSX Type-S (sold)

2005 WRB STi (new hotness)

Quote Originally Posted by PureStang
    why...what is up w/ the breaks at around 30k miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by PureStang
    thankx for the welcome again... i do understand that parts for the STi's are more expensive..but i need a car that still goes fast but carries 4 people confortably..cause my knees were hitting the dash when i had 4 people im my stang....haaha
    Well it is just that the STi comes stock with Brembo brakes. Which as I am sure you are aware of, are not cheap. They performs excellently though. But like most high performance brakes, expect to change out rotors and pads every 30k-40k miles or so.

Have you considered an 06 WRX? They are not quite as fast as the STi but for the price you are going to pay for a used STi you could get a brand spanking new wrx. The 06' wrx's have a nicer interior than the 04' STi, and they have upgraded brakes that do not wear as fast as the STi brembo's and still handle well with good power. The 06's also use the 2.5L motor (same displacement as STi motor).

The 06' wrx will run high 13's/low 14's stock and with the sme cobb stage2 setup the wrx is capable of very low 13's @ 102mph or so (stock STi territory).

Just a thought though. It will not perform as well, but is still a great performing car and cheaper than the STi and cheaper to maintain as well.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Well it is just that the STi comes stock with Brembo brakes. Which as I am sure you are aware of, are not cheap. They performs excellently though. But like most high performance brakes, expect to change out rotors and pads every 30k-40k miles or so.

Have you considered an 06 WRX? They are not quite as fast as the STi but for the price you are going to pay for a used STi you could get a brand spanking new wrx. The 06' wrx's have a nicer interior than the 04' STi, and they have upgraded brakes that do not wear as fast as the STi brembo's and still handle well with good power. The 06's also use the 2.5L motor (same displacement as STi motor).

The 06' wrx will run high 13's/low 14's stock and with the sme cobb stage2 setup the wrx is capable of very low 13's @ 102mph or so (stock STi territory).

Just a thought though. It will not perform as well, but is still a great performing car and cheaper than the STi and cheaper to maintain as well.
    thanks for the advice but i dont like the exterior of the 06 models...
    Brandon J

241rwhp/283rwtq
    13.97 @ 101.4

i have found an STI w/ 32000 miles for 25k..is that a legit price?
    Brandon J

241rwhp/283rwtq
    13.97 @ 101.4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.