better gas mileage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on better gas mileage within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everybody. Just bought an 05 manual turbo wrx from my brother. Just wondering if any one can give any ...

better gas mileage

Hey everybody.
    Just bought an 05 manual turbo wrx from my brother. Just wondering if any one can give any tips on getting better gas mileage on it. I commute to college, about a half hour each way over two mountains and the $3.54 premium required for a turbo engine isn't makin my wallet happy. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a decent sized thread (~5 pages) called something like "another gas mileage thread". People have posted setups, driving habits, and mileage, and what helps. Use the search button, but fyi, most people average around 22 or so I think.

#1 don't try to push the gas pedal through the floor at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    #1 don't try to push the gas pedal through the floor at all times.
    Yep, that will about make the most difference.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Pick a gear so that your RPMS are less than 3K, but your boost is also minimal or below 0. Use cruise control as it generally keeps boost <0 except for uphills etc. On long downhills, put the car in nuetral (if it's a manual) and coast.

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    i find that my mileage is worse with cruise on. Mostly because it is always attempting to go at a set mph, rather than coasting up hills and building speed gradually on downhills.

Keep it below 2000 rpms and you are basically driving a non-turbo 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. I have averaged nearly 28 mpg on my commutes (90% freeway, 10% streets). I have an AP stg1 CA 91 map.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Mod it! I'm getting a little over 26 mpg average now that I've had my final dynotune.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lots of tire pressure and not much throttle.

You're paying $3.54 for premium?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    agreed. Increased tire pressure (obviously not to dangerously high amounts) will reduce rolling resistance and increase gas mileage.

Better aerodynamics help too. For example, removing your snowboard rack (if you have a wag) during the off-season and drafting behind large trucks (j/k, because that would be a highly dangerous practice even though it would work).
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

I go about 215 miles on full tank of gas when I push the car all the time. And about 275 miles if I never go over 4K rpm.

I am getting 24-28 MPG from VERY spirited driving. maybe 1-3 times going to 6k rpms per fill up in 1st. And other then that mostly keeping it under 4k but I push the gas down kinda far sometimes. Yes I know my milage isn't the best but atleast I am LOVING my car. Oh and I am not dumping the clutch, I actualy wait till it is fully engaged and floor it.

But if you want better milage, refrain from doing what I do (flooring it) and keep it out of boost and under 3k rpms. Also pop it in neutral alot. I think my milage is that high only because I roll around with the clutch in a ton.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure coasting in neutral uses MORE gas than coasting in gear with your foot off the gas. Keep the rpms low so there's not much engine breaking and coast in a higher gear. When you're in gear with your foot off the gas, the throttle body is closed.. as opposed to coasting in neutral, where the throttle body is slightly open to keep the engine idling.

1) As little throttle as possible
    2) As little boost as possible
    3) Adequately inflated tires
    4) Clean your MAF sensor if your car has high mileage
    5) Compare your fuel economy with different gas stations. Some gas is just better.
    6) If you do decide to modify your car, it seems like the more cats you take off, the better gas mileage you get. Get a downpipe, bc your car doesn't need an uppipe.

It's a balancing act. I know you didn't buy a sports car to drive like a grandma, so find a happy medium where you're happy with the car and you can tolerate the gas mileage. I usually average around 23mpg with mixed driving while enjoying my car's performance. I tried driving below 0mpa of boost and below 3k rpms for an entire fuel tank and got like 25.5 mpg. So the extra 2-3mpg wasn't worth me not enjoying my car.

Hope this helps and sorry for the length!
    -Brandon
    03 wrb WRX
    Power- Cobb Stage 2 w/ TXS stealthback, 06 axleback, and 07 catless uppipe
    Handling- Eibach Springs, Perrin Rear Sway Bar, Perrin Rear Sway Mounts, Perrin Rear Endlinks, STi strut bars
    Cosmetics- cf wing risers, pink "i" badge, yellow fogs, STI CF side markers, tints, tail lights,

I REALLY don't mean to make this a battle. And I can almost garentee I know less then you about cars.

But if I can get 28 MPG by my neutral coasting method, don't you think I may have something? But seriously I live in Algonquin and anyone that lives here would probably agree the roads aren't exactly the straightest things in the world. I can keep it in neutral for a decent ammount of time with little loss in speed. I don't know about that throttle gate thing too much and how it all works but I would guess having your foot in at a constant speed would still put your engine under some load meaning it is using gas, while in neutral it only needs to keep the engine running at its minimum speed. I figure it would come down to 200 rpms or 1500+ rpms being better in my eyes.

Oh and to clearify, I do think gas, neutral, gas, neutral on level ground is worse then just keeping it in gear. Who knows if that is right but my foot can't take that much.

Again I am an idiot with cars so this is only my noneducated guess of an oppinion.

But I do agree with your driving ideals. I love having a car with power and I garentee I will use it. I won't speed too much but I love getting thrown back in my seat.
    Last edited by viperuws; 08-22-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Hmmmm.....In my humble opinion, the neutral coasting thing works just fine. Once again, a couple of small mods and you are on your way to better gas mileage without having to drive like a grandma......Tonight I found out that I'm ever so slightly faster than a stock '06 STI, and I'm easily getting over 26 mpg.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

I get 24-25 when I drive in traffic in 90% city driving. And I guess I drive like a grandma except for those times when I make everyone wonder if I am crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast