better gas mileage - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on better gas mileage within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by viperuws I get 24-25 when I drive in traffic in 90% city driving. And I guess I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by viperuws
    I get 24-25 when I drive in traffic in 90% city driving. And I guess I drive like a grandma except for those times when I make everyone wonder if I am crazy.
    +1, except for the drive crazy part.

I drive like a grandma around town because there's no point driving any other way in heavy traffic everyday. I love the occasional mountain road blast, but otherwise I lead a boring automotive existence (~24-25mpg city). I do love the car, though.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BONES1672
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure coasting in neutral uses MORE gas than coasting in gear with your foot off the gas. Keep the rpms low so there's not much engine breaking and coast in a higher gear. When you're in gear with your foot off the gas, the throttle body is closed.. as opposed to coasting in neutral, where the throttle body is slightly open to keep the engine idling.

1) As little throttle as possible
    2) As little boost as possible
    3) Adequately inflated tires
    4) Clean your MAF sensor if your car has high mileage
    5) Compare your fuel economy with different gas stations. Some gas is just better.
    6) If you do decide to modify your car, it seems like the more cats you take off, the better gas mileage you get. Get a downpipe, bc your car doesn't need an uppipe.

It's a balancing act. I know you didn't buy a sports car to drive like a grandma, so find a happy medium where you're happy with the car and you can tolerate the gas mileage. I usually average around 23mpg with mixed driving while enjoying my car's performance. I tried driving below 0mpa of boost and below 3k rpms for an entire fuel tank and got like 25.5 mpg. So the extra 2-3mpg wasn't worth me not enjoying my car.

Hope this helps and sorry for the length!
    -Brandon
    Now, I don't want to turn this into a battle either but now I'm curious about this too. I don't think how much you push the gas pedal is related to how much gas is being used. I always thought the RPM is related to gas consumption. Higher RPM obviously means the engine's turning faster and requires more gas. I could put the car into 6th gear at 30mph and floor the gas pedal but RPM would stay around 2K. In this case I don't think I'm using a lot of gas because fuel injection is electronically controlled... not mechanically by the pedal. Anyway, I'm not that knowledgeable about cars other than the basics so feel free to let me know if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I would advise not to roll around in neutral often for safety reason. I got into an accident by doing this before. When you suddenly have to avoid a dangerous situation, having the car in neutral will take you more time to react.

But if I can get 28 MPG by my neutral coasting method, don't you think I may have something?
    absolutely! if it works for you, do it. Coasting in neutral IS a useful tool in getting better gas mileage. i'm just saying that coasting in gear may be even better.
    I don't know about that throttle gate thing too much and how it all works but I would guess having your foot in at a constant speed would still put your engine under some load meaning it is using gas, while in neutral it only needs to keep the engine running at its minimum speed. I figure it would come down to 200 rpms or 1500+ rpms being better in my eyes.

Oh and to clearify, I do think gas, neutral, gas, neutral on level ground is worse then just keeping it in gear. Who knows if that is right but my foot can't take that much.
    Let me clarify... I didn't mean that coasting at say, 3000rpms with your foot slightly on the gas uses less gas than coasting in neutral without using the gas pedal. What I meant was that coasting in a higher gear WITHOUT touching the gas pedal and just letting the car coast in gear at low rpms uses less gas than coasting in neutral. coasting: yay or nay?
    here's a thread that explains it. The only thing keeping the rpms going is the momentum of the car, not the engine.

This is just what I've read and heard, I don't guarantee that it's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by taz1004
    Now, I don't want to turn this into a battle either but now I'm curious about this too. I don't think how much you push the gas pedal is related to how much gas is being used. I always thought the RPM is related to gas consumption. Higher RPM obviously means the engine's turning faster and requires more gas. I could put the car into 6th gear at 30mph and floor the gas pedal but RPM would stay around 2K. In this case I don't think I'm using a lot of gas because fuel injection is electronically controlled... not mechanically by the pedal. Anyway, I'm not that knowledgeable about cars other than the basics so feel free to let me know if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I would advise not to roll around in neutral often for safety reason. I got into an accident by doing this before. When you suddenly have to avoid a dangerous situation, having the car in neutral will take you more time to react.
    Yes, cruising in neutral IS potentially dangerous. Yes, RPMs are related to gas consumption and higher RPMs DEFINATELY use more gas than lower rpms. But throttle input having nothing to do with gas consumption is not true. If you do go WOT (wide open throttle) at around 2k rpms, your car starts to shove more and more fuel into the engine to compensate for the need for acceleration and the lack of power. So, although the cylinders are firing less frequently, more fuel is being ignighted with each engine cycle, using more fuel. (again, it's a balancing act... going WOT at 2000 rpms may be better than going half throttle at 5000) Also, when you floor the gas pedal, your turbo spools and you make more boost. As the boost goes up, your MAF (mass air flow) sensor detects more air molecules in the intake and the ECU pours in more fuel to maintain the afr (air/fuel ratio), thus using more gas.

And just to make sure everyone understands, I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just trying to do what this forum is supposed to be for- informing people. I don't think I know everything. I know there are people on this forum that know more about cars than I do, and if you know anything I said was wrong, please, explain it to me. We're all learning, I'm just telling you about my understanding.
    03 wrb WRX
    Power- Cobb Stage 2 w/ TXS stealthback, 06 axleback, and 07 catless uppipe
    Handling- Eibach Springs, Perrin Rear Sway Bar, Perrin Rear Sway Mounts, Perrin Rear Endlinks, STi strut bars
    Cosmetics- cf wing risers, pink "i" badge, yellow fogs, STI CF side markers, tints, tail lights,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.