1000 miles is a long time! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 1000 miles is a long time! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I never did that 1000 miles break in crap... and my car works fine i think its just an old ...

I never did that 1000 miles break in crap... and my car works fine
    i think its just an old fools tale !!!
    thats just me dough

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

a whole website thats been linked many times explains why break in isn't needed. But i can't find those threads right now.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I made it to about 250 miles just babying my '06. After that, I took it up to about 6k in 3rd gear. Then, I babied it to about 325 and ever since then (I"m at about 550 now), I've been driving it a little hard at times. In my opinion, she LOVES it!!

Quote Originally Posted by mangiapane
    I made it to about 250 miles just babying my '06. After that, I took it up to about 6k in 3rd gear. Then, I babied it to about 325 and ever since then (I"m at about 550 now), I've been driving it a little hard at times. In my opinion, she LOVES it!!
    you make me feel better about how I drive my car at 700 miles.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Thanks, guess that's a good thing. I just really don't see the point in having to put 1000 miles on an engine before it's "broken in". Just putting around at 2000-2500 rpms, the engine will still reach optimal temperature, so if you wait 250ish miles, I'd say that would be ample time for the rings, valves, etc. to seat properly and everything.
    2006 World Rally Blue Pearl TR Sedan.
    OEM fogs
    OEM Rear deck lid
    -much more to come-
    VAG-EYE-NA is a beautiful thing!!
    Lifes Necessities: Food,Clothing,Shelter and SUBARUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i raped the sh!t out of my car the day it left the dealership and its been performing beautifully every since then.
    LOL
    if only girls were the same way

jk jk gosh

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    LOL

jk jk gosh
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    LOL
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

I think engine break in periods are a little over rated. How many hours do engines have on them before hitting an odometer at the factory? Also you hear to not use pure sythetics until a certain amount of miles, while some cars roll off the assembly line running synthetic. Some cars have break in oils already in them.... I have heard theories of breaking in cars hard, and the opposite. I took both into account and drove the first 500 easy on the engine and threw all caution to the wind after that. I am actually not one to constantly beat on a car. Just a few brisks run through the gears every week or so.
    2004 WRX

Always the instruction follower....

I did just as told by the dealer. I kept it to 3,000 rpms in first second and third and 4,000 rpms in fourth fifth and sixth for the whole 1,000 miles...but at 1005 I wound her out and have been every since...after letting the engine get to operating temp...about fifteen minutes. I rolled over 1500 miles today and she is getting better every day. I LOVE THIS CAR. I think I have washed it about fifteen times, waxed once and threatened to kill my cat if she gets her ass back on it. I am charging my camera and will try to post pics tomorrow. I know that its just another 06 black Sti but I always like to see pics and I know others do as well. I live in LA...lower Alabama and around here Subaru's of any flavor are very rare for the time being so I get a lot of looks from other drivers and that is one of the things I like about the car... I just gotta be different. By the way Mustangs are a dime a dozen around here and I am just waiting for one of em to rev on me.

yep yep im also still on my breakin in period im at about 300 miles and ive had my car for a week or two now as u can tell i dont drive alot but ive heard many different people tell me about the break in since i really dont know ill just wait it out

+1 with Marano on the fun factor!
    Same age but with the bugeye WRX wagon. It is a total blast to drive, I don't miss my pushrod V8 much anymore.
    Most of the "old" break in rules are outdated anymore. Sure it definitely does not hurt to baby things for a few miles at first. Most manufacturers perform an engine run-in test well before it gets sunk into its permanent home. I heard rumors ( and felt it ) on my Dodge Ram that the truck ran much stronger at and after the 5000 mile mark. Others felt the same thing. These days the computers are so complex it would be so easy to imbed a program that limits total performance for awhile. Who knows these days?!?
    Dino vs synthetic on brand spankin new motors is also hotly debated. Most of the oil makers say wait until the 2nd or 3rd change before switching.
    Peace out, keep the smiles coming!!!!
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Banned
    Yeah I'll admit I didn't take mine real easy on break in period either. I think i took her to like 5000 wiht 17 miles on it, I couldn't help it! I actually just hit 1000 miles today, pulled over and took a picture. Does anybody know the disadvantages of an improper brreak in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12