Car Wash question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car Wash question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I lived in an apartment, so there is no place for me to wash my car myself so I would ...

Car Wash question

I lived in an apartment, so there is no place for me to wash my car myself

so I would like to hear any recommandation on how to keep my car clean and where to take my car for a car wash

what type of tools or stuff do you keep in your car for cleaning and emergency? I need start shopping for those when I get some time!!

cheer! oh and pic coming soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you want your car to stay clean between wash, always park in the garage (if you have one). If not, then get ready to clean her all the time. I have black, so keeping it clean is impossible without a garage, and it's always foggy in my area.

As for tools, buy microfiber towels for wiping and drying the car. Get a nice, quality wax and clay bar and other detailing products. That should take care of the cleaning and prepping side.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    If you want your car to stay clean between wash, always park in the garage (if you have one). If not, then get ready to clean her all the time. I have black, so keeping it clean is impossible without a garage, and it's always foggy in my area.

As for tools, buy microfiber towels for wiping and drying the car. Get a nice, quality wax and clay bar and other detailing products. That should take care of the cleaning and prepping side.
    thank you!
    I wish I have a garage too!
    the place I park my car constantly flow with dust!
    hopefully it will be better after I move to differente apartment next month

Well, if you have a black car, it is going to take a lot more work.

First, you need to find a place where you can wash your own car. You don't want anyone else to wash it for you. If you have a black car, than you should totally avoid car washes. Get some nice microfiber towels, polishing spray, clay bar, wax, liquid compound, and of course, soap to wash the car with.

Try and at least wash your car once a month for the first few months. Making sure to wax it after every wash. If you noticed that the paint is getting rough, you can use the clay bar to smooth it out and than use the liquid compound to get rid of the fine scratches that the clay leaves. After the compound, use the spray polish to bring out the shine more and also remove the powder residue left from the compound. If you do this for a few months. Your car should have a nice layer of protection on it.

This is what I did for my car when I first got her. Now I just wash and wax her and occasionally clay my car. But when I am done driving for the day, I usually wipe down my car with a damp clothe. After the wipe, my car's paint feels like it just came off the line, if not better.
    Looks are everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    Well, if you have a black car, it is going to take a lot more work.

First, you need to find a place where you can wash your own car. You don't want anyone else to wash it for you. If you have a black car, than you should totally avoid car washes. Get some nice microfiber towels, polishing spray, clay bar, wax, liquid compound, and of course, soap to wash the car with.

Try and at least wash your car once a month for the first few months. Making sure to wax it after every wash. If you noticed that the paint is getting rough, you can use the clay bar to smooth it out and than use the liquid compound to get rid of the fine scratches that the clay leaves. After the compound, use the spray polish to bring out the shine more and also remove the powder residue left from the compound. If you do this for a few months. Your car should have a nice layer of protection on it.

This is what I did for my car when I first got her. Now I just wash and wax her and occasionally clay my car. But when I am done driving for the day, I usually wipe down my car with a damp clothe. After the wipe, my car's paint feels like it just came off the line, if not better.
    that was a great tutorial!
    I have a Grey Silver one, I think it's not that easy to get dirty like black or white cars, but it is very close to
    I will try your method, but I am first a lazy person and second my working hour is ridiculas
    have to work from 9am-10pm 7 days a week! long story about my job heh
    what type brand of polish spray and wax do you recommand, oh and how about soap?
    I used to use Turtle wax on my old cars

Thanks a lot for your tip

MR CLEAN AUTO DRY.. i have one and it keeps my car beautiful..

that auto dry leaves spots on my car still. ohh well.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    that auto dry leaves spots on my car still. ohh well.

you might need a new filter..

cuz if the filter powder is brown.. it says that it will leave spots.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWrx
    you might need a new filter..

cuz if the filter powder is brown.. it says that it will leave spots.
    i only used it 2 times and it was leaving spots. maybe i was doing something wrong?
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

If you have the STi spoiler, I wouldn't take it to automatic car wash places. Even most hand wash places takes your car through the machine first. When I was living in apartments, I usually went to coin operated self wash places.

By the way, I always use Maguires products.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedWrx
    MR CLEAN AUTO DRY.. i have one and it keeps my car beautiful..
    Thats only good if you don't have time and you only have dust on your car. Anything more than dust and it won't do a thing.

Check out Autopia. They have some good tutorials. I find that they are a little overkill but they give you a really good general idea.

I really like the AutoDry too, but you have to keep the filters fresh. Only takes a couple of washes to use one up. If you just have dust on your car, you don't even need the soap. Just use the rinse setting and then the dry. This is much better for your finish too, since you don't wipe the fine particles off your paint. Wiping on your car swirls the crap out of your finish.

On the black car subject, the RX-8 I just traded was black. I also had a black mustang and a black Sentra. They are a pain in the butt, however they look so good when clean. I was told by a professional detailer that you shouldn't use normal wax on black paint. Use a black colored wax or one made especially for dark colors. Normal waxes can leave a fine haze in surface imperfections which in turn keeps the black from being as dark and deep.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.