air intake

This is a discussion on air intake within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; im looking for an air intake for my 06 wrx. im looking at k and n and cobbs intakes. which ...

air intake

im looking for an air intake for my 06 wrx. im looking at k and n and cobbs intakes. which one is going to give me more bang for my buck. the cobb is alot cheaper but are the hp gains the same as the k and n? thanks again guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i own an impreza 2.5i and I have found from others on the forums that an intake isnt really a good first mod... it really doest gain a whole of horse power. mostly just aperance. but like me... comming from a chevy backround and intake system is a good mod. I (like myself) have looked into k&n and COBB. now they oth have reasonable rep. and seem to follow the same design. I would look more into exhaust or some other mod... (personatly) I myself feel the same way I wish there was more of a horse power gain but to be honest stock intakes un subys are decent.

I am currently looking at the COBB ram a.i. nice, but its a form of plastic... as where k&n is al.

another thing K&N has a typhoon that extends down into the inner wheel well. "I think" logicly it would suck a little bit more cold air than the COBB that sits on top, close to the motor.

well hopefully I havent confused you too much...
    -racecrank

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo777WRx
    im looking for an air intake for my 06 wrx. im looking at k and n and cobbs intakes. which one is going to give me more bang for my buck. the cobb is alot cheaper but are the hp gains the same as the k and n? thanks again guys

Is your car heavily modded? If you're still running the stock turbo w/ tmic, you may want to look in another direction if you want the best bang for your buck. Engine management and a turbo-back exhaust is what really unlocks the power on a wrx.

If you are heavily modded, then you don't need to listen to me

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    I personally like the AEM intake, its got one of the best filters out there IMO and its still not that expensive.

Intakes are one of the cheapest mods out there compared with exhaust or engine management.

If you are not heavily moded then take that money you were going to spend on the intake and get yourself a dp. The best bang for your buck intake, is the stock one.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Well, hopefully you'll get back to us on whether you're heavily modded or not...

But in the meantime, if you're just starting to mod, here are some links I suggest you check out:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

^^^ Yep, what he said or save up for a Cobb AP.
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by taprice
    ^^^ Yep, what he said or save up for a Cobb AP.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Sorry Speedette your post wasn't there when I started, honest.
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

Quote Originally Posted by seaguls
    If you are not heavily moded then take that money you were going to spend on the intake and get yourself a dp. The best bang for your buck intake, is the stock one.

im stock

Best bang for the buck intake?

AP + used DP.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Don't expect power gain but the cobb and spt will at least be safe.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Well, about the only gain you will get from a new intake is a cool sound from the engine bay. For the WRX, the stock intake is actually good for up around 400 hp applications, so an aftermarket one is unnecessary. I have an APS pod intake on my car because it works fine with the mods I have, but it was mainly for the cool sound effect. If you want to check out the APS one, you can look at either www.airpowersystems.com.au or GRDperformance.com .
    GRD has actually done all of my installs and as far as I know you can order stuff from them and they ship it just like an online vendor, even though they are an actual shop. Personally for my first mod I would either get a reflash at your local shop or a Cobb AP. Good luck in your hunt and tell us what you choose to do!
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo777WRx
    im stock
    I will say that you take that money you were going to spend on an intake and get a dp. You will not be disapointed.
    If all you wont is some extra sound, just do the intake silencer delete mod. I personaly didnt do it because after my tbe the car sounds so good already.