Regular WRX or STi?

This is a discussion on Regular WRX or STi? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Everyone- So i decided to get rid of my 12 mpg GMC pickup, and I went to the subaru ...

Regular WRX or STi?

Hey Everyone-
    So i decided to get rid of my 12 mpg GMC pickup, and I went to the subaru dealership today. I've really like the WRX since it came out, and I would love to get one. I've had some cool cars in the past, 87 Grand National, 70 Chevelle, etc., so the WRX appeals to me. I also think the STi's kick ass. The STi will be the same insurance as the WRX, and 100 more a month in payments. What ever should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you can afford the STI -- monthly payments + insurance + gas, then go for the STI. It's just the better car out the box. If not, WRX is your second best bet.

Good luck!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

STi if it's not going to break you.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    If you can afford the STI -- monthly payments + insurance + gas, then go for the STI. It's just the better car out the box. If not, WRX is your second best bet.

Good luck!
    Plus one.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Good luck!
    +1
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Good luck!
    What he said

Get the STi if you can.

Oh and post pics of the Chevelle.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

In retrospect I would have and should have bought an STI.

Folks buy wrx's (like I did) and then do a few mods, (AP, exhaust, suspension) and suddenly you are sitting at the price you would have paid for an STI in the first place...with all that crap and more..

Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    ...with all that crap and more..

Stock.
    yep, it's called economies of scale, and i wish i was more aware of that concept 3 years ago
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll dig up some pics of the chevelle when I get home later. I really think I need to test drive both cars back to back. I've talked to plenty of sti owners who are happy, but I talked to a few (including one at the pump this morining) who say they'd rather have gotten the regular wrx. How are the 06 sti's mechanically different from the 06 wrx's? Thanks for the help everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll dig up some pics of the chevelle when I get home later. I really think I need to test drive both cars back to back. I've talked to plenty of sti owners who are happy, but I talked to a few (including one at the pump this morining) who say they'd rather have gotten the regular wrx. How are the 06 sti's mechanically different from the 06 wrx's? Thanks for the help everybody.
    Off the top of my head the differences are helical (sp?) front diff which is kinda like a lsd, lsd rear, 6 sp trans w/DCCD (much stronger than the WRX 5 sp), lower compression engine (maybe other differences, but they always seem to be a subject of arguments) which allows the engine to take more boost better, different steering rack(?), stiffer suspension, and of course a larger turbo and intercooler.

If you drive casually you might be unhappy with the harsher suspension, slightly more touchy steering, and extra shifting. If you enjoy driving and think of it as more than simply a way to get from point A -> B the STi is a hands down better car. Just remember a test drive may not tell the whole story especially if you all you have been driving is a truck or the salesperson doesn't really let you really drive the car. The STi shines and really shows the WRX up once you get more aggressive esp. in the twisties.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

MMMMMM....87 Grand National. I have a 1/24th scale model of one right on top of my desk shelf here. Nice. Those are awesome cars. Post pics of that as well.
    What engine did the Chevelle have in it? I'd kill for a '70 Chevelle SS396 Convertible. drool drool.

Oh yeah, get the STi if you can afford it.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

go for broke! lol that's what i'm doing, i got an 06 and love it. the only thing that kind of sucks is gas, the sti eats gas like a mother. But i guess it's cause of it's hp, but it's really efficent compared to other cars around its power, though it also depends on how you drive.

A built wrx on the straight way could be better than an sti, from what i hear, something about the 5 gears accelerates better than 6. however, i could be wrong. Both cars are out of the box killers at good prices.
    me + sti 06 since 04.03.06 ^_^

What kind of mileage do you guys get?

21 mpg on my 05 Sti, wit normal (somtimes sprited driving)
    If you ever go back in time, dont touch anything.

2005 STi
    Cobb Ap Stage Two/ Cobb Suspension Stage one.