ram air

This is a discussion on ram air within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; how do you keep the ram air and the intercooler clean? when it rains or snows there nothing you need ...

ram air

how do you keep the ram air and the intercooler clean? when it rains or snows there nothing you need to put in it to prevent water from getting into the motor? just wondering, mine seems like a vacum for bugs and stuff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo777WRx
    how do you keep the ram air and the intercooler clean? when it rains or snows there nothing you need to put in it to prevent water from getting into the motor? just wondering, mine seems like a vacum for bugs and stuff
    open the hood and clean it if it bothers you that much

There are kits you can buy that put a screen on top of the intercooler, of course you could simply just make one yourself too if you wanted.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Banned
    I went and stuffed snow into 1/2 my intercooler for fun when it last snowed. It's gone in less than a minute. The intake has the snorkus and an air filter to keep nature's goodies out of our engine. Any other debris that finds its way in there usually gets blown out (except for the occasional bird). My 06 has 22K on the clock and just has a few tweaked fins.

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Water isn't going to get into your intake and if the intercooler gets wet it might cool it off so thats good for performance. As for bugs you could put a screen over your scoop but then you get less air in.

well, even with a screen in your hood scoop... its not going to "reduce" preformance since the scoops are so huge themselves. The way air flows it wouldnt restrict barely at all!

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627
    My 06 has 22K on the clock and just has a few tweaked fins.
    wow, ND must be worse than where you are. I have 8K on mine and I have tweaked fins from stupid bugs

Um, I periodically hit he water rinse button. The STi has a tank in the trunk to dump water onto the intercooler. Keeps it clean.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchristensen
    well, even with a screen in your hood scoop... its not going to "reduce" preformance since the scoops are so huge themselves. The way air flows it wouldnt restrict barely at all!
    Well unless your using chiken wire for a screen you get fine air flow but with a regular screen to protect against bugs and stuff your going to get 30-50 % less air flow through it.