Please help me make up my mind....

View Poll Results: What is the better way to spend $4,000

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrading from a 2004 wrx to an STI!

    15 83.33%
  • Upgrading a 2004 wrx in performance,stance,and looks!

    3 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on Please help me make up my mind.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay i know other threads have been made like this before..... but this one is my own unique situation and ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    203

    Please help me make up my mind....

    Okay i know other threads have been made like this before.....
    but this one is my own unique situation and i havn't been able to make up my mind in months and i need to make up my mind by aug 1st.

    I financed a 2004 wrx in jan had an accident in icey weather in feb which dropped the trade in/re-sale value of the car....
    So now i'm burried $4,000 in the car.....it runs great but i am really thinking about getting an sti.

    So my question is should i save up $4,000 and get my newer sti with low miles....

    or should i throw $4,000 into my wrx....

    It is mostley a daily driver and i want to reach 300whp eventually.......every one is telling me that an stock sti beats a stage 4 wrx in feel and performance......and in realiability...

    But i'm thinking $4,000 is alot of money......that would make a nice set up....
    Reason i have to make a descicion so fast is i found a great deal on an in stockk Accessport.....it's with free over night shipping...i have saved $1,000 so far....

    So far i have invested in a complete stereo system and some 18" rims.....
    with the $1,000 i have now i can get my AP and some springs or just apply towards a sti fund....what do i do???!!!??
    Some one help me decide pursuade me in one direction.....

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User power091999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,133
    Just my opinion here but here goes...

    Buy the STi. You will spend MUCH more money getting a WRX to the same level as an STi. Accessport or not.

    I thought about going the same route as you with my bugeye. God bless her heart I love that beatuiful thing with all my heart. However I can't see putting 10,000+ dollars into her to have my STi.

    I will be trading in my bugeye soon enough, and getting a STi. The cost to get my WRX to the same level.... well I can't say it's really worth it. In the end you will have a top notch car, AND a warrenty.

    Just a thought.

  4. #3
    Registered User DeBlas66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    1,151
    Where are you getting an STi for 4 grand more than a used 2004 WRX with an accident?

    That's one cheap STi.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRX2k4
    Just my opinion here but here goes...

    Buy the STi. You will spend MUCH more money getting a WRX to the same level as an STi. Accessport or not.

    I thought about going the same route as you with my bugeye. God bless her heart I love that beatuiful thing with all my heart. However I can't see putting 10,000+ dollars into her to have my STi.

    I will be trading in my bugeye soon enough, and getting a STi. The cost to get my WRX to the same level.... well I can't say it's really worth it. In the end you will have a top notch car, AND a warrenty.

    Just a thought.
    +1, unless its an 06 WRX and then you have a 24k car with an STi block.
    Car-less

  5. #4
    Registered User lowerlevel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    43
    yes sell the 04-05 and get an 06 wrx u will not be let down...
    civicdreamin....

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66
    Where are you getting an STi for 4 grand more than a used 2004 WRX with an accident?

    That's one cheap STi.



    +1, unless its an 06 WRX and then you have a 24k car with an STi block.
    Let me re-phrase that...
    4 grand + higher payments.....
    Last edited by RepresentTexas; 07-29-2006 at 02:16 AM.

  7. #6
    Registered User KrustyTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    129
    In my opinion you'd be better off spending the money on your WRX. With that money you'd end up with an awesome car that is exactly what you want looks and performance wise.

    Maybe it's just me but I would rather have a really hot looking WRX than a mostly stock STI, regardless of the minimal difference in performance.

    The STI is basically a race car that you can drive on the street and since you'll never be able to use the full performance of either car I'd rather spend the money getting my current car to look, handle and perform better than stock.

    You could get a chargespeed widebody kit, upgrade to a fmic, a bigger turbo, turbo back exhaust, springs, upgrades sway bars, better wheels and tires and end up with an awesome WRX that is the way that YOU want it to be.

    If the bottom line is you want an STI, then you'll never be happy no matter what you do to your car because it still won't be an STI. So the real decision is do you want an STI no matter what?

    later,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    203
    Thanks krusty that's exactly my other argument.....that is exactly why i'm driving myself crazy right now...
    if i save and get an sti next year....i definatly won't have enough to fix it up for a year or so.....
    it would be stock for awhile...while keeping a warrenty is a good idea........i know my dealership is evil about the way it does buisness (it partnered with lincoln in san antonio)

    When i first bought my car i listed my dream mods......i researched and found a bunch of things i would buy, Now i was kind of anxious to get started with the accessport and springs.......looking at my car with the rims on it i think it looks better than a lot of stock cars out there now.......

    what make doubt myself is that everyone and i mean EVERYONE keeps saying sti this,,,sti that....i get 2 responces from my car....."wow that is nice" or "is that an sti" (i have an sti wing)
    also all this transmission talk scares the bajesus at out of me....
    so do i absoulutley have to have an sti because of the letters nope......but everyone is saying i do....does that make sence?

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the STI is a buyable option then get it. The tranny alone is worth the extra money if you want to make 300whp.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  10. #9
    Registered User KrustyTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by RepresentTexas
    Thanks krusty that's exactly my other argument.....that is exactly why i'm driving myself crazy right now...
    if i save and get an sti next year....i definatly won't have enough to fix it up for a year or so.....
    it would be stock for awhile...while keeping a warrenty is a good idea........i know my dealership is evil about the way it does buisness (it partnered with lincoln in san antonio)

    When i first bought my car i listed my dream mods......i researched and found a bunch of things i would buy, Now i was kind of anxious to get started with the accessport and springs.......looking at my car with the rims on it i think it looks better than a lot of stock cars out there now.......

    what make doubt myself is that everyone and i mean EVERYONE keeps saying sti this,,,sti that....i get 2 responces from my car....."wow that is nice" or "is that an sti" (i have an sti wing)
    also all this transmission talk scares the bajesus at out of me....
    so do i absoulutley have to have an sti because of the letters nope......but everyone is saying i do....does that make sence?
    Dude,
    I would much rather have a car that expresses what I want out of a car than a cookie cutter machine that anyone can own as long as they have the money. It's the same way with my Harley. I've changed on it what I wanted to to make it MY Harley.

    STIs are awesome cars. Just ask anyone, since nowadays it seems like EVERYONE has one. If your worried about your trans, upgrade to an STI trans. It can be done, at least that is what I have read.

    However, you say you want to go to 300 HP. Why? A stage 2 WRX is a really fast car bro! I can't believe how quick mine is and it's mostly stock and an automatic. Yeah I know! My hot wife can't drive a manual trans and she has to be able to use my car on occasion. I don't mind not having a manual. My only complaint is the increased lag with the auto but once I start with the mods that will get reduced to just about nothing.

    If you've got to have an STI to fulfill some need, then do it. But I've seen some really hot modded WRXs on this forum and I know I'd rather have a car that reflects what I want out of my car than 3 little letters on the trunk lid. Thats just me though, you need to figure out what you want out of your car.

    just my opinion though,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

  11. #10
    Registered User TOOFAST88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Champaign/Buffalo Grove, IL
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the STI is a buyable option then get it. The tranny alone is worth the extra money if you want to make 300whp.
    Plus one.

    STi FTW meng.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

  12. #11
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    upgrade the WRX. dont lose money on the trade in!
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  13. #12
    Registered User dcpatters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,174
    You will definitely get more car with the STi. The difference alone is worth the $4K. Don't stretch yourself. Regardless of what we all recommend, only do what is within your means. STi = more in payments and insurance too.

    With the money I have invested in my car, I should have just bought the STi in the first place. Would've, Should've, could've.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    You will definitely get more car with the STi. The difference alone is worth the $4K. Don't stretch yourself. Regardless of what we all recommend, only do what is within your means. STi = more in payments and insurance too.

    With the money I have invested in my car, I should have just bought the STi in the first place. Would've, Should've, could've.
    After spending a painfull amount of time.....the time has come to make a no looking back descision....
    i have decided on going with the sti......i will save untill i have enough to get an sti and not lose to much on a monthley payment.....i will probablky have to save $5-6000 but it is clear that it will be worth it now to me......
    I really wanted to go with modding my wrx...but i can't help but do the math and it hurts in the long run.
    For the $5000-$6000 i will spend i will get.....
    300hp.300lb trq, sti gauge cluster....sti seats....sti lip kit......6 speed bullet proof tranny.....2.5 litter engine....dccd (which i couldn't even find a price for if added to a wrx)....a warranty for what ever it's worth.....a aggressive suspension......the injectors..the larger scoop..........

    Thanks for everyones input.......this is a really really hard descision.......i don't know if it's this hard for anyone else but i actually lost sleep on this one....

    Sti fund.
    $1000+
    $5000 to go
    Last edited by RepresentTexas; 08-01-2006 at 03:39 AM.

  15. #14
    Registered User SteelDragonSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Riverview, FL
    Posts
    11
    One thing that I've noticed since I got the STi is that I've only seen one (04-05) silver STi this week. There are not that many of them on the road.

    And the fact that I love the way this car runs... Its so effortless its amazing. Its your call, but the STi is amazing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •