All Opinions Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on All Opinions Please within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All, I'm brand new to this forum, and do not own a WRX or a subaru for that matter. ...

All Opinions Please

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this forum, and do not own a WRX or a subaru for that matter. I am a potential buyer though, so I have some questions.

I am interested in an 06 WRX TR. Currently I have a Civic, which I really love, but not the lack of power and Front Wheel Drive. After some research it's easy to see a WRX is the most "go" for low "dough" (yeah that's cheezy I know).

But coming from owning a Ford (which IMO are crap) to a reliable Honda, and never driving a car with a Turbo, I'm interested in hearing of any mechanical problems this may pose, if any. And I'd be looking to keep my next car for 8 - 10 years, are these a car to do that with? How does the power hold?

Also any general comments, comparisons to your previous cars, anything that could be helpful would be much appreciated. I love the style, power and handling abilities of this car. But how about the lack of other features (ie. moonroof, mp3 player etc...).

Thank you all in advance!

Eli

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i sell subarus in annapolis maryland if you want to come buy one. steve morgan

what's your lowest price, I'm in Harrisburg PA.

And I won't ask for an answer to my questions since you're a salesman, and can't be trusted

; )

I bought a TR in January, and it's been wonderful so far. Like you, I'm looking to keep my car for a while, and I spent a lot of time researching those very questions.

From what I've found, Subaru has a history of making some very reliable engines. Obviously, modding and engine reliability are inversely correlated: the more you mod, the less reliable the engine typically becomes. However, it looks like bolt ons don't do a lot of damage as long as you pick the right parts.

Let us know what you think, man. I hope to see pics from you of a new TR on here soon!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

23ish

lol, what kind of number is ish?
    First Mod: Flux Capacitor
    Second Mod: 88 MPH Governor

I Support ClubWRX
    I havent heard of any repeated issues with a well taking care of wrx. At 100k water pumps seem to have issues, but when you replace your timing belt your silly if you dont put a new WP in. Other then that many folks have easily drove 100k+ miles without any issues. The tranny's will not take a ton of abuse, but then again that holds true for every thing on the car. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

With that being said I dont plan on having my car, 06 wrx ltd, for more then another year.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    What I find striking is the number of people I've heard discussing not just water pumps (mine was replaced under warranty at 60K) but oil pumps at the 100K mark. I don't know how much of this is simply prevention and the "while I'm in there" syndrome frankly, but I recall a thread on here by a senior member stating his oil pump was replaced under warranty.

If the correct spares are used the motor should last a very long time. It is well designed as far as wear is concerned as proven by oil analysis data. The cooling system is not the best ever made -- the pumps won't last indefinitely (!), the radiator cores are not too attached to the end plates and don't mind splitting up, the hoses use clamps that hold great, except when they don't -- and no gaskets or seals last forever anyway, especially not the cam seals, front cover stuff, or valve cover gaskets on our motors.

The paint is borderline criminal and certainly idiotic, and the interior creaks like my broken dreams. The wheel bearings are OK unless they fail (lottery) and the gearbox is adequate unless somebody gets pushy. It'll be clunky regardless.

The car will look disgraceful up close due to the paint, it'll sound like a Lada inside while put-put-putting like an air-cooled VW outside (unless the wheel bearings squeak...), and it's not guaranteed to keep oil or water off the ground forever, but it should run much, much longer than you'd want to own it or maybe even find fuel for it in the future...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the input!

I test drove an 06 Silver TR after work today, my thoughts:

I currently drive a civic, I got to 60 in the rex without going over 4000 rpm faster than the civic gets to 35/40.

I'm a big guy, 6'1" 225 pounds, the seat was a bit huggy but that will wear down if in fact I get one.

Visibility, comfort, smoothness of ride I'd say are pretty damn good.

Stereo system, pathetic, but that's by design. Speakers can be changed and subs can be added.

The clutch was much more resistant than on the civic, but I'm thankful for that, the civic clutch burns with it's itty bitty 128 ft/lbs torque, so a stronger one is definitely needed.

Didn't like the gearbox. Feels like the shifter wants to pop out (it won't), it just moves too smoothly, or something...

I am thrilled with the ride though, feels great, has 4 doors, and is inexpensive for AWD and 230 hp, 235 ft/lbs.

Monday I may be the owner of a new Impreza... : )

Again I really appreciate all the opinions and please keep them coming!!!

Eli

I Support ClubWRX
    The tranny is the worst part of the whole car. Reverse will be a nightmare to shift into, the 1-2 shift is a HUGE PITA to get it smooth, and it is over all very notchy.

The paint is well crap.

The stereo is fine but I have the six disk in dash cd player, and I think I may have more speakers over the TR. Either way for the cost it's a decent car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    The tranny is the worst part of the whole car. Reverse will be a nightmare to shift into, the 1-2 shift is a HUGE PITA to get it smooth, and it is over all very notchy.

The paint is well crap.

The stereo is fine but I have the six disk in dash cd player, and I think I may have more speakers over the TR. Either way for the cost it's a decent car.
    You've got 2 more speakers: component speakers in the doors, with the tweeters by the handle. And you hit it right on the head about the tranny.

I don't know why a lot of people say getting into reverse or 1/2 is a PITA
    live and love life

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Really bad paint, better than average reliability and most importantly fun to drive.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

My only comments are if you get a WRX, buy it with the expectation that you will mod it. A WRX is a good car once is a decent car stock and a great car once its modded. If you don't want to mod it you should probably look for at a different car.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by knowquarter
    I don't know why a lot of people say getting into reverse or 1/2 is a PITA
    Because you will grind the shift into R or from 1-2 a few times. If you don't, you haven't driven your car enough.

It won't happen all the time, but it will happen a few times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast