1K miles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1K miles within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; at 1k miles does one need an oil change for an sti?...

1K miles

at 1k miles does one need an oil change for an sti?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You don't NEED an oil change...but why wouldn't you? You can get a oil change at 3k and have no problems but the more you change your oil, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by csk8er
    at 1k miles does one need an oil change for an sti?
    The manual says every 3500 miles, but let me put it to you this way.

Do you have any idea when the dealership put that oil in there? Change it
    Car-less

The maintenance schedule says 3750 miles or 3.5 months. The dealership told me to wait until tomorrow to get my oil changed, and I'm at 3000 right now.
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

kk thanks guys for the quick responses. I knew it was every 3k+ miles. reason i asked was because i called the dealer to make an appoinment for an oil cahnge and they refused to, meh ill just do it my self. thanks again

kk thanks guys for the quick responses. I knew it was every 3k+ miles. reason i asked was because i called the dealer to make an appoinment for an oil cahnge and they refused to, meh ill just do it my self. thanks again
    I tried to change mine yesterday, but couldn't get the oil filter off to save my life. I'm taking it to the dealership, and I'm going to tell them to hand tighen it only. I'm going to ask forcefully if I can stand there and watch them change the oil as well (don't like other people touching my car )
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    I tried to change mine yesterday, but couldn't get the oil filter off to save my life. I'm taking it to the dealership, and I'm going to tell them to hand tighen it only. I'm going to ask forcefully if I can stand there and watch them change the oil as well (don't like other people touching my car )
    The first oil filter is always like that. Use some vice grips and you should be fine.
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66
    The first oil filter is always like that. Use some vice grips and you should be fine.
    Still couldn't get it off...I used an oil filter wrench and an elastic wrench...
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

Yeah I tried those too. You are going to need something big. I used some plumbers tools.

There's always the good old hammer and screwdriver.
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66
    There's always the good old hammer and screwdriver.
    Ya, no more listening to you

I'm going to take it to subaru anyway, because they gave me a coupon for the oil change. After that I'll do it myself

My 06 is still stock so I don't ahve to worry about the dealership seeing something modded
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

I almost always change the oil myself. When I took the car in for it's 15,000 mile checkup, the dealership changed the oil. When I hit 18,000 miles, I went to change the oil myself and I couldn't get the filter off. My filer wrench wouldn't budge it because I've got one of those plastic jobbers that will fit a 3/8 socket, and it collapsed the grip area on the end of the oil filter. Then I tried hammering a foot and a half long screwdriver through it. When I tried turning the filter with the screwdriver through it, the filter ripped open. It ended up taking me three screwdrivers in interesting positions and about an hour of my time just to get the filter off. Made a pretty big mess on the floor, too. I think the dealership puts their oil filters on with an impact wrench. Or they employ the Incredible Hulk as their fluid changer. Either way, go ahead and change the oil as often as you feel necessary, and if you have the dealership do it, Be VERY specific about not overtightening it.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckTheBruce
    Either way, go ahead and change the oil as often as you feel necessary, and if you have the dealership do it, Be VERY specific about not overtightening it.
    Say, HAND TIGHTEN IT OR I'M NEVER COMING BACK FOR MAINTENANCE!

And then never go back anyway because now you can get the filter off
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    Say, HAND TIGHTEN IT OR I'M NEVER COMING BACK FOR MAINTENANCE!

And then never go back anyway because now you can get the filter off

They refused to? I mean, I got funny looks when I brought mine in at 1k, but they did it. They're just getting more money off of me so what should they care? I explained that "I'm old school" and always change the oil on any car immediately following the end of the break in period.

Methinks perhaps another dealer with a good rep would be the way to go for the services that you do need...I smell trouble with them in the future.

Congrats on hitting the 1,000
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast