Just getting a feel for how people like their WRXs! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just getting a feel for how people like their WRXs! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Doc Dub E SOA will put the screws on a shady dealership if you have a valid ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dub E
    SOA will put the screws on a shady dealership if you have a valid dispute.
    No they won't. I have an '02 WRX that leaks gas onto the engine block, and two dealerships denied warranty service to fix it. When I spent months complaining to Subaru that the health of my wife and child were being affected by the gas fumes filling the passenger compartment, Subaru repeated over and over and over "Take it to the dealership. We can't do anything unless you take it to a dealership." The dealership, where to protect the health of my family I would be forced to pay around $800 just to fix a component that was incorrectly designed in the first place. It doesn't matter how valid your dispute is, or what the potential damage may be to your baby, much less the car. SUBARU DOESN'T CARE AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO REIGN IN THE DEALERSHIPS. When you complain about the dealership they will say "we don't own it, we can't control it." You can do nothing about Subaru, short of hiring a lawyer and giving him the $800 to get Subaru to fess up. They rely on the expense of litigation to protect them from ever having to have any semblance of customer service at all.

And after multiple stories like Sonic's, where the car comes back from the dealership with the boost pegged, or it comes back half full of oil, or the oil filter falls off or leaks, why would anyone ever trust their car to the dealership? I'm going to buy some fuel line from Pegasus Racing and redo their horribly engineered fuel line myself for probably less than $200, just so I never have to deal with Subaru ever again. It goes without saying that I'll never buy a Subaru again. I'll do my best to never have to buy parts from Subaru ever again. Every penny I don't have to give them is worth $20 to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your problem VVVV... I forgot how bad dealerships were and this was a quick kick in the pants reminder. By the way, the Service Manager called and apologized, but said there is nothing he can do.

I don't want to give Subaru of America any money, but as long as we own one, we are helping them via free advertisment. Also, if you dont buy Subaru parts, then it doesnt fit or function as well... and you dont get the constantly updated parts. I didn't even know about the switch to a smaller oil filter til recently... even so, they switched to yet another style which had defects.

Its sad these guys know of the potential problems enough to re-engineer it, yet they do not do anything about current owners. how shady is that??? I dont think any company works so hard to deny problems with their cars... as such, this was my first and last subaru. Besides, the EVO is better in every way... I was so ignorant... but never again!

Wow! It is interesting to read some of these horror stories. I am looking at a WRX/STI or Legacy GT because I have been having so many issues with my Cobalt SS/SC and getting proper dealer support. It is making me think twice. I almost wonder if I am just better off getting the new Civic SI *modding the heck out of it* or going after an EVO RS.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't prove it statistically, but IMO the "horror story" folks are a tiny but vocal minority here.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

while I don't doubt the reality of the horror stories, there is substantial reporting on statistical studies of dependability in publications like Consumer Reports and others. The entire Subaru line gets very good marks. That does not mean there won't be problems, but, when compared to the rest of the industry, from a 'how likely is it to fail to perform appropriately' perspective, Subaru (and the WRX/STI) does very well. No machine is perfect, but, Subaru does a decent job of design and build.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    Its sad these guys know of the potential problems enough to re-engineer it, yet they do not do anything about current owners. how shady is that??? I dont think any company works so hard to deny problems with their cars...
    No isht. They changed the '06 STi's plastic motor mounts mid model year. They removed the crappy black paint from the '02 WRX radiator fill tank mid model year. I'm convinced they rely on changing the bad designs often enough that there are never enough people with the same problem that they have to issue a recall. I'll stick with non-Subaru parts just because I know my one-off fix will be engineered correctly, and I won't have to update the fix with a fix.

But, they definitely don't work hard to deny anything. They don't work hard at all, even if you pay them, considering they were too lazy to align my STi during pre-delivery inspection (that they never did). They were even too lazy to remove the plastic bags from my suspension. It's very easy for them to make a lawyer your only option, which is why they do it. The work is in keeping existing customers happy, and work's the last thing Subaru wants to do.

And Ray, you have to ask if the tiny minority is due to actually few cars having problems, or the fact that we are usually chased off the board. Or the others were smarter than me, sold the POS before it burst into flames, and bought something else.

Quote Originally Posted by goBoating
    while I don't doubt the reality of the horror stories, there is substantial reporting on statistical studies of dependability in publications like Consumer Reports and others. The entire Subaru line gets very good marks. That does not mean there won't be problems, but, when compared to the rest of the industry, from a 'how likely is it to fail to perform appropriately' perspective, Subaru (and the WRX/STI) does very well. No machine is perfect, but, Subaru does a decent job of design and build.
    Does Consumer Reports base it on how many people reported problems, or how many fixes were completed? I bet it's based on how many fixes are done, in which case it's no surprise at all considering they do their absolute best to make sure people don't bring their problems to them to fix. Quality by alienation.

One thing I am noticing in the last couple of weeks as I've been doing test drives is that two of the three dealerships WRX's and STI's had physical flaws. Either scratch, ding, still had plastic on from taking delivery. One 06 White STI had sold in the window but the rear bumber looked like it had been hit on the passenger side. The salesman told me that he had a white one for sale and I said no not that one. He said don't worry that's already sold to someone else. I told, wow I feel sorry for that person I wouldn't want to pay 30 large for a car that already had damage before it hit the street. Mainly fit and finish or lot damage stuff. More than normal. Hopefully that is just dumb luck or a bad time of year for those dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    No they won't. I have an '02 WRX that leaks gas onto the engine block, and two dealerships denied warranty service to fix it. When I spent months complaining to Subaru that the health of my wife and child were being affected by the gas fumes filling the passenger compartment, Subaru repeated over and over and over "Take it to the dealership. We can't do anything unless you take it to a dealership." The dealership, where to protect the health of my family I would be forced to pay around $800 just to fix a component that was incorrectly designed in the first place. It doesn't matter how valid your dispute is, or what the potential damage may be to your baby, much less the car. SUBARU DOESN'T CARE AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO REIGN IN THE DEALERSHIPS. When you complain about the dealership they will say "we don't own it, we can't control it." You can do nothing about Subaru, short of hiring a lawyer and giving him the $800 to get Subaru to fess up. They rely on the expense of litigation to protect them from ever having to have any semblance of customer service at all.

And after multiple stories like Sonic's, where the car comes back from the dealership with the boost pegged, or it comes back half full of oil, or the oil filter falls off or leaks, why would anyone ever trust their car to the dealership? I'm going to buy some fuel line from Pegasus Racing and redo their horribly engineered fuel line myself for probably less than $200, just so I never have to deal with Subaru ever again. It goes without saying that I'll never buy a Subaru again. I'll do my best to never have to buy parts from Subaru ever again. Every penny I don't have to give them is worth $20 to me.
    Well- maybe I just got "lucky". One mentality we do have in common though is that I never want to go back to that dealership again, ever. That is largely the reason I decided to void my warranty and go ahead and start modding the car. I got this feeling that any future problems I might have concerning warranty would be a similar headache and I was better off trusting my 3rd party mechanic who would be almost half as expensive anyways.

I Support ClubWRX
    And Ray, you have to ask if the tiny minority is due to actually few cars having problems, or the fact that we are usually chased off the board. Or the others were smarter than me, sold the POS before it burst into flames, and bought something else.
    Or you could look at it from my point of view, a guy who's owned two extremely reliable Subaru's.

Now get the hell out of here!!!

j/k..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Does Consumer Reports base it on how many people reported problems, or how many fixes were completed? I bet it's based on how many fixes are done, in which case it's no surprise at all considering they do their absolute best to make sure people don't bring their problems to them to fix. Quality by alienation.
    I believe the CR data is drawn from a large survey or car owners. They are basically asked about the different types of problems they've had with their vehicles. There is no consideration as to whether the problem was successfully fixed. It has been a few years, but, I got one in the mail, filled it out for our, then new, 2000 Passat Variant. As I remember, the survey was pretty well put together. No leading questions. Neutral to the survey taker.

I'm sorry you've had such a nasty experience with yours and I'm absolutely positive that Subarus have some short comings, but, from a statistical point of view, they are well built.

I believe the CR data is drawn from a large survey or car owners. They are basically asked about the different types of problems they've had with their vehicles. There is no consideration as to whether the problem was successfully fixed. It has been a few years, but, I got one in the mail, filled it out for our, then new, 2000 Passat Variant. As I remember, the survey was pretty well put together. No leading questions. Neutral to the survey taker.

I'm sorry you've had such a nasty experience with yours and I'm absolutely positive that Subarus have some short comings, but, from a statistical point of view, they are well built.
    I did get surveys about the cars, and filled them out appropriately (to my situation), but that was probably no more than a year after I bought them. I think it was pretty comprehensive, but I haven't seen one in a long time. Back then I only had the dealership to complain about. These days there are more and more problems with the cars, like electrical failures, that I didn't get to report.

No need to apologise. Despite what it may seem, I don't hold anyone here responsible for my troubles. In fact, the Subaru community is the best thing about these cars. Considering some of the cars I've had to deal with in the past (wife's Ford Tempo, which I had nothing to do with purchasing, so I don't look entirely stupid) these cars have fewer problems, but mainly they are much much easier to work on. In fact that was one of my biggest selling points, the flat engine made working on it a piece of cake compared to other cars (my Nissan requires a nimble 12 year olds hands to change the oil filter). Being that the Subarus were the first brand new cars I'd ever purchased, I was almost instantly cured of my new car envy by the dealerships and SOA. From now on I'll rely on my mechanical inclination and statistics, and only buy used cars.

With that, I'll get the hell out of here.

beating a dead equine

' Just an FYI about the Consumer Reports statistics. I found a FAQ about their surveys that might be interesting to some.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...y-faq_ov.htm#1

' Just an FYI about the Consumer Reports statistics. I found a FAQ about their surveys that might be interesting to some.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...y-faq_ov.htm#1

This is true. They tend to have the best data. But even then it probably doesn't account for dealer experiences and of course every car make model manufacturer has it's freaks. Some are freaks in good ways *faster than they should be more bullet-proof ect..* or in bad way *some can be a lemon and have tons of problems*

Just because I have been snake bitten finally for my love of GM vehicles *My cobalt SS/SC is a dream to drive for me but reliability and support has suxed* The subaru has the most passion from it's owners and is a very passionate car to drive. *The STI still blows me away, more fun for me to drive in Denver's high altitude than a 2003 Z06 Vette*
    Are they really that reliable and take well to minor/modest mods?

When the time is right i will get an STI do a small increase on the boost and get some freer breathing going on with the intake and exhaust. Beyond that maybe lower spings ect...Do the cars hold up well with that going on and how do the dealers react to having mods on the STI's? Are they cool and genuinely look to see if it is the cause of any issues or do they right away say take all this off then we'll look at the car?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast