Newbie needs help

This is a discussion on Newbie needs help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I'm completely new to the board but I need some quick help. I have just found an '02 WRX ...

Newbie needs help

Hey,

I'm completely new to the board but I need some quick help.
    I have just found an '02 WRX wagon for sale at my local dealership that is in immaculate condition and has about 25k miles on it. I don't expect it to be there that long and they dont come up used here at a good price very often so I will need to jump on it quickly.

I've read alot about transmission issues, especially with the 02 WRX's. I test drove it and didn't have any issues with the clutch or with shifting. Is there any service work that definetely should have been done already that I should inquire about? And if not, is there anything I should do in the near future after buying it to prevent future issues?

Also, anything else people know of that I should check out before deciding to buy, or anything I should be asking the dealer about would be very helpful.

And, at that mileage, is there anything significant that will need replacing soon?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm sure the answers to most of these questions can be found somewhere on the board already, but I need to know as much as I can as soon as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    main thing to remember about the tranny is too not drop the clutch doing 4k rpm + drag style off the line.

in fwd and rwd the wheels spin taking out the xcess power before moving, whereas the awd passes it directly too the clutch/tranny ....therefore eventually the tranny will probably lose 1st gear.

If you drive normal its gonna be fine.
    I have a friend with a full modded 02 stge 4 who changed his stock factory clutch at 141k miles ...so thats enough proof for me.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Also there have been quite a few Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) on the 02, in particular one that replaces the clutch due to clutch shudder. You may want to search for those TSB's here and over on NASIOC to make sure that the car had them done.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.