New Car Breaking In
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

This is a discussion on New Car Breaking In within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am new to ClubWRX so be gentle. I tried using the search button for this topic; however, I couldn't ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Dub RXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    36

    New Car Breaking In

    I am new to ClubWRX so be gentle. I tried using the search button for this topic; however, I couldn't find any information on how to break in a Subaru. This is my first new car and I'm very excited. I just want to make sure I break it in the right way to keep all performance without damaging my engine. Please help....

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. Open Owners Manual
    2. Find section for Vehicle Break-in
    3. Read it
    4. Follow it



    Short verison
    Keep it < 4000 RPM for 1st thousand miles. Change oil. Run it as you wish.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  4. #3
    Registered User armysti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    tucson AZ
    Posts
    615
    you want to baby it for a few thousand miles but it is okay it you open her up a few times, just dont redline it to much. but they are great cars and they can handle it fine. but welcome to the club. post some pics

  5. #4
    Registered User kingypoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub RXer
    I am new to ClubWRX so be gentle. I tried using the search button for this topic; however, I couldn't find any information on how to break in a Subaru. This is my first new car and I'm very excited. I just want to make sure I break it in the right way to keep all performance without damaging my engine. Please help....
    for the first 1000 miles keep it under 4000rpms. yay.
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

  6. #5
    Registered User Dub RXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    36
    LOL I didn't even think about reading the owner's manual. Being that this is my first new car, I never had to. Thanks for the quick responses.

  7. #6
    Registered User kingypoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub RXer
    LOL I didn't even think about reading the owner's manual. Being that this is my first new car, I never had to. Thanks for the quick responses.
    what do you expect from us at work...slow responses?
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    S. Portland, ME
    Posts
    1,026
    You all forgot vary rpms no interstate/cruise control driving.
    New England F4

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

  9. #8
    Registered User kingypoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    You all forgot vary rpms no interstate/cruise control driving.
    Thats bogus.


    If you have to drive the highway, drive the highway. Just vary the RPMs when not on the highway and your fine
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    S. Portland, ME
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    Thats bogus.


    If you have to drive the highway, drive the highway. Just vary the RPMs when not on the highway and your fine
    Made sense to me (but I am simple minded) so I followed it and enjoyed the excuse to drive back roads .
    New England F4

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

  11. #10
    Registered User Mitcher4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub RXer
    I am new to ClubWRX so be gentle.
    Ah they always remember the first time...

    Seriously though, I followed the vary the rpm almost off the bat method. I didn't sit up at 5 or 6...but I did hit it once in a while. Change oil at 1000k to get residue and metal out and then you're...Good to go.
    2006 WRX TR: TurboXS RFL-Ti TBE, GR+ Pro Coilovers and all supporting suspension mods, Stage 3 block with CP pistons, 18g, P&L FMIC, deatschwerk 750cc injectors, PPG gears

  12. #11
    Registered User kingypoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    Made sense to me (but I am simple minded) so I followed it and enjoyed the excuse to drive back roads .
    There is only back roads in maine
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    S. Portland, ME
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    There is only back roads in maine
    Hey there is I-95 and I didn't say it was hard to only take back roads .
    New England F4

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitcher4
    Change oil at 1000k to get residue and metal out and then you're...Good to go.
    I'd change it earlier than that. 95% of all the metal that ends up in your oil during the break in period happens within the first 20-100 miles. Why give it a chance to do any damage? I changed mine at 100 miles, and will change it again at 1000 miles... Then on to the standard 3000 mile rotation. With synthetic I'll likely change the filter ever 3000, but the oil is good for much longer than that, so it'll get changed every 6000.

    Also note on the oil change: use NON-synthetic during your break-in period. Once that's over, hop back on the synthetic bandwagon. Synthetic is actually *too* good for break-in, and you may not generate enough friction to properly seal those piston rings.

    *Thread Hi-jack* What synthetic oils do people prefer? I've heard excellent things about Royal Purple.

  15. #14
    Registered User kingypoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by jr4284
    I'd change it earlier than that. 95% of all the metal that ends up in your oil during the break in period happens within the first 20-100 miles. Why give it a chance to do any damage? I changed mine at 100 miles, and will change it again at 1000 miles... Then on to the standard 3000 mile rotation. With synthetic I'll likely change the filter ever 3000, but the oil is good for much longer than that, so it'll get changed every 6000.

    Also note on the oil change: use NON-synthetic during your break-in period. Once that's over, hop back on the synthetic bandwagon. Synthetic is actually *too* good for break-in, and you may not generate enough friction to properly seal those piston rings.

    *Thread Hi-jack* What synthetic oils do people prefer? I've heard excellent things about Royal Purple.
    every 100 miles sounds OCD...its a car, not an infant.



    Some people will disagree with your advice to switch to synthetics right after the break in period is over...most will recommend waiting until 10k+ miles before making the switch. But its your car, do what you want. BTW, you'd drain your oil, change the filter, and put the oil back in? sheesh...

    Search the forum for preferred synthetic oils.
    Last edited by kingypoo; 07-18-2006 at 11:43 AM.
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

  16. #15
    Registered User jaqattack02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    every 100 miles sounds OCD...its a car, not an infant.



    Some people will disagree with your advice to switch to synthetics right after the break in period is over...most will recommend waiting until 10k+ miles before making the switch. But its your car, do what you want. BTW, you'd drain your oil, change the filter, and put the oil back in? sheesh...

    Search the forum for preferred synthetic oils.
    He said after the first 100 miles, not every 100. And when you change the filter you don't have to drain the oil. You just lose the 1/2 quart or so that's in the filter. So you just change the filter, then top off the oil and you're good to go. Even so, I change my synthetic oil and filter every 3k-4k.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •