WRX and STi info

This is a discussion on WRX and STi info within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I work for the ad agency that has Subaru as one of its clients. I am doing a ...

WRX and STi info

Hey everyone,

I work for the ad agency that has Subaru as one of its clients. I am doing a project on the WRX and STi. I need to get feedback from people who own these cars and know a little about them and there competitors. So what do you like about the WRX and the STi? What do you dislike? What can Subaru change or improve on? What should they get rid of? Stuff like that. Also, if you have any thoughts on their competitors like the Honda Civic SI, Lancer Evolution, VW Golf GTI, Acura RSX, Lexus IS 250, and the Dodge Caliber that would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

one pack of ciggerattes.
    two pots of coffie.
    one bag of dorritos.
    the search button....priceless.

If it's a time thing than ask one question at a time and you'll get a couple responses for each question.
    Whats the first question.
    Last edited by RepresentTexas; 07-17-2006 at 02:40 PM.

I guess your first question is likes/dislikes....
    IMO.
    I love the awd....i love 4 cyl turbo charged veichles....those two options alone made the wrx/sti jump to the top of my buy list. I also had a thing for the evo but it fell out of my price range for one......the other reason i didn't get an evo is because of the realibilty of mitsubushi...i owned a 95 eclipse that had all hell go wrong with it.....one night i went to open the door and i was left with a handle in my hand.........needless to say i was late to work that day...
    Other things i love about my subie....even though people say the back seat is too small..i have a family of three and my six year old is more than comfortable in the back seat.....i'm not one for warrenty's but seems alot of people have complaints about it.........it is easy to find parts for my ride and the boxer engine growl still gets me exited......i love the body lines in my 2004 and i even like the newer body style minus the front pig nose....performance for the dollar was my real driving force in going with the wrx the other competers you mentioned are either missing the turbo/awd or the 4 doors......so besides the evo i don't judge them as the same class.....
    the windows do scratch pretty easily but that's being a little nit picky......i'm not to excited about the sti spoiler or my brakes but from what i understand that is all being fixed in new models..........i guess that's it next question.

edit:
    also the fact that it's easily modded is a big plus.....i do notice turbo lag but it seams as soon as i get a simple plug and play "accesport" ecu flash i will loose the turbo lag and get better responce in stage 1 alone.....not a lot of veichels are that easy to play with.
    Last edited by RepresentTexas; 07-17-2006 at 02:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are several HUGE threads of likes/dislikes on this forum, but I'm not going to tell you to search through them all for your goal.

I'll start with your first question. I like the fact that the car is affordable, has decent performance, for the power gets good gas milage, AWD, I adore my leather seats, isnt over loaded with electronic driving "aids", has a HUGE aftermarket following, the drivers for the most part can easily relate and are friendly, 4 doors, HUGE trunk, handles fairly well and I could go on and on but I'll stop.

As for my dislikes the first would have to be the tranny. It is horrible to even attempt to find reverse. The 1-2 shift is hardly ever smooth, and with the A/C on is a SOB. It will go through moods where it will shift like butter and other times it feels like I'm shifting through a back of stones. Another dislike would be the paint. My car is a only a few months old and while I dont have paint chips, I do have alot of issues. Whenever I wash it I always have to SCRUB off black road grim. The car gets washed once a week, detailed sprayed after wash, and wax whenever needed. I also dislike the choppy powreband. There is nothign smooth about the way this car see's boost. I have no problem be thrown back into my seat but when the tach gets to around 3k it's very bouncey. The stock tires leave alot to be desired also as they could be much better. The suspension has alot of play in it, but if you went much more aggressive you'll have people wrapping them around telephone poles more so then they do now.

As far as getting rid of anything, I wouldnt want to replace/change anything on the car. I find the stereo to be fine for my tastes, I love my leather, heated seats, and sunroof. The only main change I'd like to see is the tranny, and if the STI has the same issue I'll be buying another brand.

As for competition I dont feel the Si, GTi, RSX-S, or Caliber or Cobalt as competition. Atleast not to the point where I'd consider any of those over a wrx. They might have simular power numbers, and handle just as good if not better, but the selling point on the subaru was the turbo, 4 doors, and AWD. The lexus is nice, but a little pricey (I'd prefer the sti powers over the luxuary). The EVO didnt impress me with relibaitly and also doesnt seem to have the same "fun" factor as the wrx/sti does.

Anything else?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

So what do you like about the WRX and the STi?
    Everything that has been already mentioned above with the difference that I don't really mind the transmission moods and choppy powerband. Been driving stick shift for the past 5 years so I don't notice it too much. As far as choppy powerbang/boost response, I still can kick butts of almost 90% of vehicles on the road and whenever necessary the car just goes as I want it to.
    I also totally dig the boxer rumble sound + the specific turbo resonance sound that the WRX amits from the exhaust.
    Since I own a Wagon it has been a huge help lately. I moved 3 times with its help, went on numerous camping trips etc. Despite the overall small external apperance the car is quite spacious inside especially with all seats down.

What do you dislike?
    The sound system is simply weak.
    The stock (optional) sub could be better.

Also, if you have any thoughts on their competitors like the Honda Civic SI, Lancer Evolution, VW Golf GTI, Acura RSX, Lexus IS 250, and the Dodge Caliber that would be much appreciated.
    The only car I'd ever consider as an alternative to my WRX is the Acura TL. But it's out of my budget. Other then that I've been hooked on Imprezas since they came out.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

I have a hard time viewing those other cars as competitors. Shoppers shouldn't be looking at the WRX and most of those at the same time, unless there's some underlying connection/reason I just can't see...

Honda Civic Si - vtec fwd. dealer markup was launching prices near the wrx, so I can't even say it's cheap. oh yeah, backseats sucked too. At least you get lsd.

VW Golf GTI - pseudo-lux fwd hatch. nice engine + dsg, but more comfort than performance.

Acura RSX (Type S) - same as Si, no lsd. need to work shifter constantly to get the most out of a ride.

Lexus IS 250 - I believe Lexus is going the lux route (IS 300 used to be the rich ricer choice), so the budget is not even close. again, comfort over performance.

Dodge Caliber - competition...riiiight.
    no, i'm not drunk, ociffer.
    i've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy
    [What do you dislike?
    The sound system is simply weak.
    The stock (optional) sub could be better.
    You forgot the shltty paint and creaks/squeeks
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

My turn! About the only real quibble with my WRX is the transmission is a little notchy, like everyone who has also responded has said. There are ways to get around the notchiness, such as installing a short throw shifter and changing the tranny fluid over to a good synthetic, but these are things that when you buy a car, you shouldn't have to deal with, you should just get a nice shifting transmission right off the bat. As far as the competition goes.....I owned an RSX Type-S before my WRX, and I liked the car quite a bit, but it was small and the back seat was a joke. Too much front end dive during certain manuvers aslo. I absolutely LOVE the AWD in the WRX, the car is more balanced than the RSX was, and nobody ever waved at me when passing me going the opposite direction in another RSX, but the day I bought the WRX, I passed three other WRX's going the opposite way, and they waved at me. All WRX owners wave at each other like motorcycle riders do to each other. It brings a smile to my face every time I hit the gas and hear the boxer growl and turbo whine. As far as the other "competition" you mentioned.....none offer AWD as even an option, so this puts the WRX a step ahead.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Grrrr, I'm an idiot....The EVO has AWD, but it's simply not as fun as the WRX/STi, and there is no "in the middle" option. You either go with the Lancer for less than 20 grand, or you jump straight to the balls out EVO for more than 30 grand. Doesn't make much sense, does it?
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

-looks, peformance, the sound of the exhaust, handling,

DISLIKES
    -crappy paint, creaky interior, AC=no power, notchy transmission
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

The theory is good (relatively light powerful AWD sedan for cheap)
    The execution is horrible (baseless denied warranties abound, glass trannys, plastic motor mounts, fuel leaks, strut clunk, fat man seats, tuned for understeer, bubble gum bushings, bridgestone tires, thin paint, insanely expensive parts <$300 for a bunch of wires?>, electrical gremlins on the order of a mid 90s Audi, parts not interchangeable enough between STi, WRX, and RS, etc.) I could keep going, but I don't feel like doing a search right now.

The STi needs a sunroof/moonroof, fold flat rear seat, better interior materials and heated front seats. Additionally a wing delete option would be nice.. Also the instruments should all be back-lit/illuminated the same color (this means boost gauge and radio) from the factory.
    There is no such thing as, "too much Horse Power"!

2005 STi CGM
    Cobb Stage 1
    K&N Typhoon Intake