I am finally an official member of ClubWRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I am finally an official member of ClubWRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Nice car. You'll be a pro in no time...

Nice car. You'll be a pro in no time
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I forgot to add...1st gear goes by like NOTHING...I start moving and I already need to go into 2nd. This car is insane compared to my little tiburon but so far I am enjoying myself extremely even during the break-in period! (normaly reving to a max of 2.5k-3k but rarely 4k)

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    Nice car. You'll be a pro in no time
    Yep, just remember while learning if it doesn't want to do something don't force it!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Yep, just remember while learning if it doesn't want to do something don't force it!
    Really? Sometimes I have to force it in gear but I hear no grinding. It's just the fact that I am weak and "forcing it" is gently placing it in gear for me. I am serious BTW...Sometimes I have to force it in but it doesn't jerk or grind. New car thing maybe?

uhhh aside from reverse being a little pissy once in a while you shouldn't have to FORCE it into gear at all. It wont glide into gear, but you shouldn't have to apply much force to get it into gear.

If it doesn't glide for me that seems like forcing it into gear. But thanks for the info, I will just have to get used to how it feels. Unlike the shiftatronic thing being so light, I could shift up and down with 0 force and using only my pinky.

We meet out in schumburg on Thursdays if you're interested in making a meet sometime. Additionally we've got the shootout coming up in September.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1043248

Schumburg where? I may not be able to make it for a bit untill I can comfortably drive the car but it would be nice to come to a meet sometime. Also the shootout sounds kinda fun but I will have to pass on taking part in the event but I may go as a spectator!
    Last edited by viperuws; 07-16-2006 at 07:39 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    My 06 tranny appears to have the same issues. Very rarely will any of the gears "Slide" it, but maybe 1 in 10 shifts they will and it will surprise me. I cant seem to really figure out what I do differently to get the "smoother" shift. I have noticed through that sometimes if I grab the shifter like you could a coke can and pull it back for the 1-2 shift that it will go into 2nd easier (possible the way I grab it I'm not pulling it straight back 100%). This is all unconfirmed as I cant reproduce the easy shift that often.

The 1-2 shift is a big kick in the nuts. Apparently there is a rather large gear ratio differnce and it's almost always jerky when your first learning. Every once in awhile I'll still mess this shift up and I've had my car since nov.

Reverse is a huge PITA to get it into. But I've learned that if you just clutch in, let it out, clutc in again that reverse will 99% of the time just slide right in. Of course if you are ever with a group of people, have a hot girl in the car, or want to show off for whatever other reason you'll sit there for 6-7 attempts trying to get it into reverse.

This goes without saying but I'd take it extreamly careful in the first 2 gears. I short shift the crap out of 1st gear (at 3k rpms) and try to see no boost in it. I also try to get out of 2nd at 3k also before full boost will hit. I do not take the car WOT until I am safely in 3rd gear. On the 1-2 shifts take your time and I usually allow the rpms to fall down to within a few hundred of where they should be in 2nd gear (i.e. no speed shifting).

All of the reason listed above are why I should have waited for an STI. I loathe the wrx five speed, and is my biggest complaint with the whole car.

Good luck and it appears you are level headed about not competing and beating up on the car. Drive it nicely and it should last a very long time.

EDIT: And lose the dealership badging on the rear of the trunk....I hate when they put that garbage on.
    Last edited by 302@12psi; 07-16-2006 at 08:44 PM.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Thanks for the insight and advice.

In the manual it says you should shift into 1st then into reverse. So I guess the clutch thing will have the same effect as shifting into 1st then reverse because it requires you to clutch twice. I will have to try that because sometimes it's a bit annoying when I can't find reverse.

I do try to keep the rpms as low as possible expecialy since its a new car. I also have only tried to speed shift 2 times so far...one time I missed the gear and reved it a bit in neutral and the other time I did it perfectly and surprisingly had very minimal jerking. But I only did it to see how it felt. I think I might even engage the clutch a bit too slow.

But I thought your suposed to shift at around 3k rpms...or atleast do it that way to get decent gas milage. Either way this car kinda scares me when I rev it too high. I am used to an auto that stays at a constant 1500 rpms at cruising speed and that shifts at around 2k sometimes.

How do I get rid of it? I don't want to scratch it off and risk scratching my new car.

I Support ClubWRX
    When driving for gas milage dont get wrapped up in your shift point as much as watch your load on the engine and stay out of boost. You can easily go WOT shifting at 3k and have horrible gas milage. I shift around 3k with little throttle input and get around 25-28 mpgs. Shifting at 3k usually puts you around 2200 in the next gear, which if you needed to floor it for some reason doesnt put you that far out of the power band.

I'd highly recommand doing the proper breakin before getting to carried away with the power. I didnt go WOT until 1000 miles, and only went about 4k once or twice. I have just under 7k on the car now and no oil usuage at all.

When you do finnaly start to get on the car you'll feel it fall on it's face at around 5500 rpms (or sooner depending on conditions). I have only wound my car up that high a handfull of times as I see no need to in many driving conditions. By the time I hit 4k and am WOT in 3rd gear I'm already more then double most around town speed limits.

For the first few thousand miles drive like your grandmother is in the passenger set. You will get a good feel for the car, speed, tranny, and suspension. Going around a turn quickly and shifting gears half way through it can give you a great scare if you arent ready for it.

Do not attempt to speed shift this tranny at all. You will gain very little speed and if done wrong will put alot of stress on your tranny. If you take your time for shifting, release the clutch smoothly, and wait for the teeth on the gear to engage fully before nailing the gas then you should have no issues. Speed shifting can very easily put your car in the Subaru shop for 1-2 weeks while they attempt to fix the tranny.

As for your decal you might have to take a hair dryer and warm up the sticker/paste that holds it on. From there I'm sure some scrubbing with bug/tar remover can take it off. Just make sure whatever you use is safe for clear coat. Good luck
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Thanks again and I will try to get that sticker off sometime.

Also I drive not like my grandmother is next to me...but like I am a grandma. I will be the SLOWEST person on the road for a while. expecialy on stoplights going from a stop to around 3rd gear. I only reved it past 4k once and that was when I missed 4th and gave it a bit too much gas while in neutral. What I meant by reving it too high was 4k rpms. It is so loud.

Anyways...tomorrow I get to drive my sister's grandam with like 120 hp? and a licence plate that says "MISIA 16" on it. I think I will get more looks tomorrow then I will for the rest of my time in my WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Thats what they told me about masterbation...
    New England F4

Turbo XS Bov FS/Trade (HKS sequential)

oh btw if you want to know how to remove the badges and decals effectively go to youtube.com or streetfire.net and search for wrx . They have a video on how to remove them
    New England F4

Turbo XS Bov FS/Trade (HKS sequential)

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Congrats on the WRX, man! Glad you'll finally be experiencing what the rest of us have been experiencing...in a couple weeks after you get the hang of manual...no worries, it took me a couple weeks too!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.